Jul 27, 2013, 07:48 AM
interesting problem or minor annoyance really, how do you get away with the unit from going into constant beeping when you plug it into the USB port. The port only puts out 4.5v and my nimh low voltage alarm is set to 4.6

Even better my f3k app wont open on the galaxy s with 2.3.6 firmware
Last edited by shadow102; Jul 27, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2013, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
If you use the "JAR" file from the windows download, that may work on Linux. It is a "runnable" jar file.
Yes, the windows one works after giving chmod +x permissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
To flash the firmware, copy the firmware folder to the same location as the JAR, not sure about avrdude though.
Ok, thought that won't be required so often and can be done on another system.

Tx! again.

Will try to log some data later today and see if the FTDI gets assigned accordingly..
Jul 27, 2013, 02:41 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102
interesting problem or minor annoyance really, how do you get away with the unit from going into constant beeping when you plug it into the USB port. The port only puts out 4.5v and my nimh low voltage alarm is set to 4.6

Even better my f3k app wont open on the galaxy s with 2.3.6 firmware
I will try to solve this in a future version.

What does the F3K app do if anything? Does the phone have an SD card? If there is a file on the SD card in the F3KMaster folder called F3KMaster.log, please send it to me as it may have a clue to what is wrong inside it.
Jul 27, 2013, 04:29 PM
Carlos G.
Getting my installed and I'm trying to connect now
Jul 27, 2013, 07:39 PM
Ok so a sd card fixed the problem i put one in and the program now works

going to go test it out tomorrow and see how it works
Jul 29, 2013, 01:28 AM
Adam RED Weston

Seattle Experience to date

Good, bad, and ugly...

Bad:
I couldn't get HTC Evo 4G running Android 2.3.5 under HTC Sense to connect to my BTOA...

nor could I get HTC One running Android 4.1.2 under HTC Sense to pair to the BTOA through F3K Master. Until I followed this exact procedure:
Turn on F3K Master
Turn on BTOA
Immediately go to menu and select connect Bluetooth
select your BTOA from the list
It will then connect and respond with a serial number kind of thing. Then test if you are connected by sucking gently on the BTOA to simulate a launch, the BTOA will briefly disconnect and then reconnect and read off some ridiculous launch (depending on your vacuum of course).

Do let me know if you get an Evo 4G to work.

Good:
I could get my BTOA to pair to my really old Sanyo Zio running Android 2.2, go figure... so it doesn't seem to be my BTOA.

Ugly:
I've been back forth with the Java script... for a while I had my BTOA beeping incessantly... at about 4 beeps a second... I believe this was because I was using the V4.1.1 version of the Java, and have now moved up to V4.2. I also had some issues because the drivers for my BTOA interface didn't load automatically, and I had to go in and tell the computer that yes, I wanted to update those drivers. Once I did that, it was happier and I was able to see the bluetooth as a COM port on the Java.

Also Ugly: when experimenting with my BTOA attached to my Edge electric foamie... I was flying up to altitude to simulate a launch and then doing axial rolls on a down-line to bring it back home, and landed it firmly in a fir tree... almost exactly 100 ft up (see graph). Its in the gree after a climb to about 325 feet at 3,600 seconds. As the wind blew or the atmospheric pressure changed, it slowly went up and down, then as the battery died, it dropped back down to zero feet. A tree climber recovered it for me for $50 +$10 tip.... long after the end of the graph.
Last edited by RED_HLG; Jul 29, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Jul 29, 2013, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for the report Adam.

I will do some research on the connection problem with your android 4.1.2 and 2.3.5. I had the same problem with someone else's phone.

What version of the device was it you got the trace from?

Also, note you will have g-forces if you went to to the View menu and enabled that trace.

The beeping could have been the low voltage alarm settings? There is an issue right now with it beeping on a NiMh setting with a particular trigger voltage when powered from usb.

The other potential reason for the beeping may have been the channel you had it connected to was in a mid or high state and you had some action for those set in the altimeter settings.
Jul 29, 2013, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
This is an update on the problems some have been having getting the device to connect.

I tested thoroughly an HTC Evo today.

On Android 2.3.3
Out of eight BTOA's, all connected first time and worked perfectly.

I then upgraded the HTC Evo to Android 2.3.5,
Out of eight BTOA's, only three connected first time and worked perfectly, three would not pair at all and two paired but did not work well.

I am working on a workaround for this and this is just to let you all know that.
Jul 30, 2013, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
I just uploaded a new version (4.3) in the first post. This may help improve the ability to connect on some Android's (it did in comprehensive tests I did last night).

If you still experience a problem connecting to the BTOA, please try a few times and if that still fails, try restarting the Android and then try again.

If you still have problems, please post here the Android device model, version and any other relevant info so I can help you.

Note
After initial connection to the BTOA, the device will restart the Bluetooth in "Auto connect" mode. You will see a disconnect message and twenty seconds later the device should connect back to the Android and read out the voltage indicating it is ready for use. This twenty second timeout is so the Android will close the first connection and allow the device to re-connect.
Jul 30, 2013, 02:49 PM
Ok just downloaded 4.3

Galaxy s2
android verion 4.1.2

Connects and auto connects just fine seems to be working correctly now (dont have a dlg to test it in for the moment)

Galaxy S
android version 2.3.6

Sometimes it will connect, a lot of the time it will not connect. When it does connect it will go into the disconnect and when it tries to auto reconnect it never does. I try to force a reconnect and from there it will not connect again until i fiddle with it for a bit turning the unit on and off and resetting the app
Jul 30, 2013, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
When it tries the auto connect, can you tell me if the light (the blue LED) starts blinking on the BTOA after or before you see the message "Disconnect" on the phone?
Jul 30, 2013, 06:36 PM
after

It will disconnect and the blue light will go dim for a few seconds then it will eventually start blinking bright blue but will never connect again, even if i bring up the menu and tell it to connect
Jul 30, 2013, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
Ok, thank you. I am working on it. Updates to come in the next few days now.
Jul 30, 2013, 06:54 PM
No problem thanks for being so diligent with fixing all these problems its pretty awesome
Jul 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
Carlos G.
Hey AD I went out to try the BTOA but had this problem........
I do the first connection and the phone will read the voltage of the battery, after one flight I went ant try to re-connect and it gives me a message saying "it can't connect"....... try multiple times but no success. Any suggestions?
Carlos

Quick Reply