Jul 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

UBLOX LEA-6H 4-pin to 6-pin

Hello,

I just purchased a UBLOX LEA-6H but it came with a 4-pin connector rather than a 6-pin as ardupilot mega APM 2.5 uses.

Does anyone know the pin schematics and how I could connect this GPS module to the APM2.5?

Here's my uneducated guess: red is 5v, black is ground, yellow and green are TX/RX. So I can just look up the GPS connector in the ardupilot board schematics and solder cables accordingly. Would that work?

Thank you.
Last edited by BenIAm; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenIAm
Hello,

I just purchased a UBLOX LEA-6H but it came with a 4-pin connector rather than a 6-pin as ardupilot mega APM 2.5 uses.

Does anyone know the pin schematics and how I could connect this GPS module to the APM2.5?

Here's my uneducated guess: red is 5v, black is ground, yellow and green are TX/RX. So I can just look up the GPS connector in the ardupilot board schematics and solder cables accordingly. Would that work?

Thank you.

Im in the same boat! But it appears to be a 5pin on top of the APM2.5

Did you get your answer or cable?
Last edited by SoMoney; Aug 01, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
Aug 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Yes, the top connector is a 5-pin. The bottom one I think is a 6-pin. I have not tried the wiring yet, been busy trying to flash ESCs with simonk firmware

Will post back when I get a chance to test it out. In theory it should work, but if I'm wrong about one pin, I might burn the GPS or APM.

I reached out to ublox people, and they're about as useless as 3DRobotics - ublox denied making the board (someone soldered their chip onto that board) and refused to give an educated guess at least... and 3DRobotics is still trying to find my order by my email to send me "the correct cable" hahahah. Anyways... if this was not a hobby...3DRobotics would have died a long time ago.
Aug 02, 2013, 12:22 AM
took some pics to help me figure out what pins go where...
Should be helpful to others in the same boat as us.
Last edited by SoMoney; Aug 02, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Aug 02, 2013, 01:04 AM
BiNGO

I Have 3D Fix now.
Just needs a gob of hot glue so it doesnt shake loose until I can find a 4 too 5pin molex cable to make it neat.
Aug 02, 2013, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
You're awesome! Thank you for posting everything!
Aug 02, 2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenIAm
You're awesome! Thank you for posting everything!
NP, Thats what iPhones are for.

When I pressed the gnd line in it actually snaped under the ridge of the molex connecter so it isnt going anywere as long as the 4pin molex stays.

I can finally start building my Tri.

Hopefully others will stumble onto this thread when they need to hack the gps connection between an APM2 and a ublox LEA-6H-0-002
Aug 11, 2013, 08:38 PM
Now I have the opposite my GPS is 6 wire and my Crius AIO Pro V2.0 has the 4 pins So I guess I will use pin 2,3,4,5 with 5 being my 5 volts and 2 gnd wait i just pulled this up

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X707231X26.jpg
Oct 17, 2013, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know if this cable would work to solve this issue?

https://store.3drobotics.com/product...-adapter-cable

I have the APM 2.5 with a ublox LEA-6H-0-002, but my GPS port on the side of the APM snapped off. I figured that I can still use the top port, but I'll have to use a different (5 position) connector. Will the one linked work?
Nov 08, 2013, 05:57 AM
There is not onli lea 6h from robotix..I've found lea module on eBay.
http://www.ebay.it/itm/U-Blox-UBLOX-...item3cc4e4d962

Is the same or there are some differences? The price is 50 euro vs 90!
Thanks
Nov 08, 2013, 07:14 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Why you need LEA 6H at all?
APM code does not use any advanced features from 6H. CRIUS v2 is ~20$ (shipping included) and has really great groundplane, good form factor (just a bit heavy).
Why ppl keep buying 6x more costly solution... Feel better because paid more?
Nov 08, 2013, 07:22 AM
I will not use apm but virtual robotix vrbrain o 4.5..and in a video are used together
Jan 01, 2014, 06:54 PM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
Why you need LEA 6H at all?
APM code does not use any advanced features from 6H. CRIUS v2 is ~20$ (shipping included) and has really great groundplane, good form factor (just a bit heavy).
lol, maybe you should buy one and see how much better they are instead of complaining that people are spending more money than you.

In my experience they are certainly worth the extra money as they are substantially faster at getting a 3D fix (usually within seconds), have little to no issue with interference from other RF sources, lock onto more satellites, stay locked onto more satellites when flying under trees and when it is heavily overcast and are far more accurate.

The rubbish GPS unit you are recommending is fine if you don't want any of the above, don't use a vTX that is below 2ghz and you only fly in open areas on cloudless days and are happy with a 1hz resolution.
Quote:
Why ppl keep buying 6x more costly solution... Feel better because paid more?
Nope, because it works better and we can afford to buy better equipment (BTW it is less than 3x more).
Last edited by Redemptioner; Jan 01, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Jan 02, 2014, 01:38 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
lol, maybe you should buy one and see how much better they are instead of complaining that people are spending more money than you.

In my experience they are certainly worth the extra money as they are substantially faster at getting a 3D fix (usually within seconds), have little to no issue with interference from other RF sources, lock onto more satellites, stay locked onto more satellites when flying under trees and when it is heavily overcast and are far more accurate.
According to manufacturer, all sensitivity, filtering, timing specifications are the same (open pdf for your model):
http://www.u-blox.com/en/download/do...resources.html
So it all depends, how you implement groundplane, filtering circuits, etc - but not chip stuff.

Btw groundplane and component locations are really good on GPS module i recommended.
Quote:
The rubbish GPS unit you are recommending is fine if you don't want any of the above, don't use a vTX that is below 2ghz and you only fly in open areas on cloudless days and are happy with a 1hz resolution.
False on all points, in practice and in theory (i even have lots of videos with those GPS, flying with 1.2GHz, with 5Hz update rate and in clouds), but IIRC it's pointless to argue with you.

Quote:
Nope, because it works better and we can afford to buy better equipment (BTW it is less than 3x more).
You really use GLONASS? Galileo? Or can point us to any multicopter controller which does (keep experimental AQ6 firmware away, users can't change GPS module here)?
Jan 02, 2014, 05:16 AM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
According to manufacturer, all sensitivity, filtering, timing specifications are the same (open pdf for your model):
http://www.u-blox.com/en/download/do...resources.html
So it all depends, how you implement groundplane, filtering circuits, etc - but not chip stuff.
So you want to compare the substantially older NEO-6M with a 1hz calculation rate to a LEO-6H 5hz calculation rate and you think there is no difference.....really??
Quote:
Btw groundplane and component locations are really good on GPS module i recommended.

False on all points, in practice and in theory (i even have lots of videos with those GPS, flying with 1.2GHz, with 5Hz update rate and in clouds), but IIRC it's pointless to argue with you.

You really use GLONASS? Galileo? Or can point us to any multicopter controller which does (keep experimental AQ6 firmware away, users can't change GPS module here)?
Sure, they charge more for the exact same thing.....I restate "maybe you should buy one and see how much better they are"

2nd of all, the GPS you talk about only has a 1hz read rate (so it is only working out its location in time and space 1 time a second), when you increase the rate on them all you get is the same 1hz read sent 5 times more a second, so you get 5hz of 1hz read, you can even increase them to 10hz but it is exactly the same, the location data is only calculated at 1hz and then output at 10hz but its data output starts to trip over itself and drop an update every 12-15th update at 10hz. On the 6H you get 5hz read sent at 5hz, in fact it will actually do higher but for most things 5hz is more than enough, 1hz is fine for most planes that are not taking photos and don't need accurate GPS information.

But hey, if you are happy with your outdated $20 GPS unit I am not complaining and I'm not going to tell you to fell any less because you don't want to fork out another $30, just don't complain about people wanting an "up to date" unit that is more accurate and provides more "actual" location updates a second which consequently costs a little more for these advantages.
Last edited by Redemptioner; Jan 02, 2014 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply