Thread Tools
Jul 22, 2013, 08:45 AM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Next I did the panel lines, this is even simpler.

The panel line tape is removed after I apply a coat of primer leaving a fine rut. The primer helps pronounce the rivets and the panel lines. Then comes the final color coat.

Start thinking decals guys.

Fahim
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Today I finished most of the paint job. Just a few minor touchups that will happen tomorrow.
Fahim
Jul 23, 2013, 01:23 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Some more progress.
Fahim
Jul 23, 2013, 04:42 PM
Registered RC Abuser
transient's Avatar
That's some amazing work

Have you thought about what you will do for landing gear?

I was thinking telescoping retracts would add even more wow, don't know if anyone makes those, or if they'd fit though.

Will be awesome to see this take flight!
Jul 23, 2013, 06:06 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by transient
That's some amazing work

Have you thought about what you will do for landing gear?

I was thinking telescoping retracts would add even more wow, don't know if anyone makes those, or if they'd fit though.

Will be awesome to see this take flight!
Thank you for your kind words. Landing gear would be a good idea but at this time I need to shed some weight. It does lift off but is unable to climb much further.
Jul 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
Registered RC Abuser
transient's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
Thank you for your kind words. Landing gear would be a good idea but at this time I need to shed some weight. It does lift off but is unable to climb much further.
Wait, that makes it even more accurate!

How many of those old 1:1 experimental aircraft could barely get off the ground

I thought more power was always the answer lol, forget the diet

Are you using a pedestal or something, seems like it would lift off weird if the pressure was stalled with it flat on it's bottom?
Jul 23, 2013, 06:58 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by transient
Wait, that makes it even more accurate!

How many of those old 1:1 experimental aircraft could barely get off the ground

I thought more power was always the answer lol, forget the diet

Are you using a pedestal or something, seems like it would lift off weird if the pressure was stalled with it flat on it's bottom?
It seems to be a weight to power ratio problem. So both more power and a diet should help. It does lift off from a flat surface because of air cushion effect same as a hovercraft but does not go further once the air cushion is dissipated.
Jul 23, 2013, 07:28 PM
Registered RC Abuser
transient's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
It seems to be a weight to power ratio problem. So both more power and a diet should help. It does lift off from a flat surface because of air cushion effect same as a hovercraft but does not go further once the air cushion is dissipated.
I see room there for 4 more ducts....

Just kiddin' , I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that

Can you list your components?

If I'm seeing the pics right you're running just 3S on that?
That seems like it may be less that adequate, I'm no expert however.

What is the cell limit on those Electrifly ESCs?

Motor size and KV?
Jul 24, 2013, 07:31 AM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by transient
I see room there for 4 more ducts....

Just kiddin' , I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that

Can you list your components?

If I'm seeing the pics right you're running just 3S on that?
That seems like it may be less that adequate, I'm no expert however.

What is the cell limit on those Electrifly ESCs?

Motor size and KV?
Its already too heavy. More ducts means more motors means more ESCs means more battery means more weight.

I am using 3 cells, 2.2AH battery. Upgrading to 4 cells has a penalty of about 2 ozs, but will be worth it. I don't have any so a trip to the LHS is in order. The ESCs and motors are rated for 4 cells.

Motors are recyclyed from my B24. Rimfire 28-26 1600 Kv

I am no expert either, this being my first quad. But I am learning fast and having a lot of fun.
Fahim
Jul 24, 2013, 11:21 AM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
I took care of a couple of things. I know we are concerned about weight but these foam rubber tubes weigh almost nothing. They help prevent dings and my baby does not get bottom rash.

Fahim
Jul 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
Registered RC Abuser
transient's Avatar
The foam will help with orientation for sure.

Another concern, on 3S (fully charged) your props are already turning 20k rpm, going 4S will put them over 25k rpm. I think the mfr's usually have rpm limits listed somewhere.

I assume the 3 blade props were also carried over from your plane?

What is the diameter & pitch, if I might be nosy again?

Depending what you're using now, it may be possible to solve the thrust issue with more pitch, or going to a standard 2 blade with more pitch. But I think 1600 kv may be too high for use with 4 cell, strictly from a practical rpm limit on props.

I'm surprised more people aren't chiming in on this one!
Jul 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
as the name says!
AirplaneFreak100's Avatar
i agree
this is super cool
imagine pranking neighbors with this
an fpv camera and led's

jk
Jul 24, 2013, 05:44 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by transient
The foam will help with orientation for sure.

Another concern, on 3S (fully charged) your props are already turning 20k rpm, going 4S will put them over 25k rpm. I think the mfr's usually have rpm limits listed somewhere.

I assume the 3 blade props were also carried over from your plane?

What is the diameter & pitch, if I might be nosy again?

Depending what you're using now, it may be possible to solve the thrust issue with more pitch, or going to a standard 2 blade with more pitch. But I think 1600 kv may be too high for use with 4 cell, strictly from a practical rpm limit on props.

I'm surprised more people aren't chiming in on this one!
The props were carried over from the B24. They are 6x4x3. I have 6x4x2 APC but I don't have their counter-rotating ones. I have ordered some today.

The 25Krpm is still OK. The 2 bladers are more efficient and should provide more thrust.

I spend several hours today fine tuning the gyros, the throws, etc. On 4 cells with 3 blade props, it does rise several feet on full throttle and could go even more but I kept it low. The problem now is that when it starts to pitch or roll it does not have enough reserve thrust to correct because the throttle is full.

So I think, more thrust and less weight is what we need now.

Fahim
Jul 24, 2013, 06:27 PM
Registered User
How much does it weigh?
Jul 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedout
How much does it weigh?
A tad over 4 lbs with 4S, 2.2AH battery.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log UFO aka FLYING SAUCER awrightbrother Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 384 Jun 11, 2019 05:50 AM
Discussion Marvin Martian's Flying Saucer bobdaeronort Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 96 May 09, 2014 09:19 AM
Discussion UFO Flying Saucer Ron_RC Scratchbuilt Multirotor Drones 7 Feb 04, 2014 03:33 AM
Discussion Quad Saucer - UFO - RCG R&D - read this before making a saucer ! ggtronic Multirotor Drone Talk 54 Mar 21, 2013 08:53 PM
Discussion Alien flying saucer and X-UFO draxx Coaxial Helicopters 0 Mar 20, 2009 02:27 PM