Jul 14, 2013, 07:06 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Build Log

UFO aka FLYING SAUCER

Hello folks,
It's that time of the year in Florida when the sun is hot, the temp is high, and the humidity is something else. So it must be time to stay indoors and build. I feel a little scaled out designing and building scale models, so I decided to do something radically different than anything I have done before.

DESIGN, BUILD and FLY a "UFO" aka a "FLYING SAUCER".

Let's see where I end up with this baby.

It is going to be 35" in dia and about 7" tall at the apex. My goal is to keep it between 3 to 4 lbs AUW.

Fahim

I started with this block of foam and my CNC foam cutter.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2013, 07:42 PM
God is my pilot
This is going to be fun!
Jul 15, 2013, 07:18 AM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich
This is going to be fun!
Yes, fun is what it is all about. This is my first quad project, and I am going to need a lot of help as I go along especially when I get to the setup, programming, and flying steps. I will no doubt have many questions too.

Please feel free to jump in when you see me doing something obviously wrong. I want this to be a successful flyer.

Fahim
Jul 15, 2013, 07:36 AM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
The electronics compartment is part of the original cut and is very spacious and should give me lots of room to place the parts and battery in there. It also helps save weight by removing as much foam as possible without weakening the structure.

Next I prep'ed and fitted the hatch lid. The lid is made by slicing the top of the center plug about 1" thick. It is retained by rare earth magnets and has holes for cooling as well as a place for for the aliens to peek out. Also a rabbit ear antenna can be installed as in the comic books which will serve as a handle to lift the lid.

Fahim
Jul 15, 2013, 11:42 AM
Chad
looks great
the only thing I hear about this style frame is that it takes a lot to get one to flip do to the wind resistance the solid frame creates. but for a straight flier I think it would be awesome.
how large are the thrust holes are they going to be motor and prop or large edf unit?
Jul 15, 2013, 01:22 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420
looks great
the only thing I hear about this style frame is that it takes a lot to get one to flip do to the wind resistance the solid frame creates. but for a straight flier I think it would be awesome.
how large are the thrust holes are they going to be motor and prop or large edf unit?
Great tip about the flipover. Hadn't thought about that and its a plus.
I am recycling 4 motors and props from my B24 that I have retired. See picture.
Fahim
Jul 15, 2013, 05:43 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
I continued with the hatch lid and also worked on the ducts.
Fahim
Jul 16, 2013, 07:05 AM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
The next step was to mount the motors.

The motors I am using have a Y mount, others have a + mount. I sandwiched and taped 4 pieces of 1/8" ply, drew the shape on the top piece extending the arms 1/2" past the duct perimeter, drilled the holes, and made one cut on a scroll saw. I ended up with 4 identical pieces for the price of one.

Fahim
Jul 16, 2013, 05:35 PM
as the name says!
sweet can't wait to see the maiden
Jul 16, 2013, 05:36 PM
as the name says!
are you thinking of making this into a kit
i would buy it
Jul 16, 2013, 07:46 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirplaneFreak100
are you thinking of making this into a kit
i would buy it
Your wish is my command. It will be a builder's kit.
Fahim
Jul 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
I figured that prop wash hitting the flat surface of the motor mount plywood is not a good idea. It will create turbulence and down force fighting the up thrust of the props. So I dressed them up to be aerodynamic.
Fahim
Jul 17, 2013, 05:51 AM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
I have some kits to cut and ship today and a honey do project to help out with. So not much progress will happen. But I did manage to jazz up the hatch cover last night. Here are some pictures.
Fahim
Jul 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
I dressed them up to be aerodynamic.
Very nicely done, but your ogival streamlining might have an effect on yaw.
A semicircular shape would have been more neutral.

Jul 17, 2013, 09:31 AM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Very nicely done, but your ogival streamlining might have an effect on yaw.
A semicircular shape would have been more neutral.
Good point. They are 1/2" wide and just over 1/2" high shaped like a wing's LE. I could sand them down to make a semi circle if that proves to be a problem. The props will be rotating in opposite directions on the 2 axis to cancel torque and thus yaw. The front and back rotate counterclockwise and the right & left go clockwise. If any additional yaw is introduced by the oval shape, it should be canceled out by opposite yaw introduced by the opposite rotating props, I think. Let's see.

"We are going where no man has gone before" says Capt Kirk.

Quick Reply