Thread Tools
Jul 16, 2013, 03:26 PM
Huh...weird...
Very cool... Asking partly for the easy sub,but more cause I'm curious, what flight controller are you planning on using? Would be a great subject for something with autopilot capabilities (arducopter or...ugh...a DJI.)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2013, 03:58 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravio11i
Very cool... Asking partly for the easy sub,but more cause I'm curious, what flight controller are you planning on using? Would be a great subject for something with autopilot capabilities (arducopter or...ugh...a DJI.)
There are several controllers available on the market with varying capabilities. I have not decided yet. Still researching.
Fahim
Jul 16, 2013, 05:24 PM
Oh no, not again!
jhspring's Avatar
Alright, Fahim, cut it out!. I just stumbled across this thread and this project is just way too cool. Couldn't you at least wait til I finish your Typhoon? You know I don't need any more projects right now.

Creative as usual.

Regards,
Jeff
Jul 16, 2013, 05:26 PM
Registered User
Dangair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot
Fahim:
Nice work. For those that are not familiar with Fahim, he has a company that designs and builds many different vehicles out of foam. They are all very well engineered and fly well. His site is: www.wowplanes.com

You are correct, in the 1950's the U.S. Air Force contracted with Avro Corporation in Canada to build a vehicle called the Avro Car. As they did not have the sophisticated computers they have today, the vehicle was not successful and did not rise to more than about 30 or so feet. It was very unstable and the program was cancelled. Incidentally, I just saw a program on Discovery History channel that suggested that this "flying disc" technology was stolen from the Germans after World War II. See the link below for the full story.

http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/...o/avrocar.html

Subscribed to this.

Ed
Just a cool side note, when I was a younger man ok boy my Big Brother Assoc. who was a KC 135 pilot took me to an air show at Mather Air Force Base in Sacramento. I witnessed the Avrocar in person, I saw it hover with my own two eyes! Wow, and we just put a man on the moon a couple years earlier! May not seem like much to you young ones but at the time boy was that cool! Oh and one day he brought home some solid rocket fuel it was black and putty like. He put it on the blade of a shovel and lit it with a long match it was stubborn at first. It started to burn and became fiercely bright, we had to look away. It started to burn a hole through the shovel and showed no sign of going out. After what seemed like minutes but was more like a 45 second burn there was a gaping hole in the shovel and a cracked brick with a large burn mark on it. Also really cool!



Stephen
Jul 16, 2013, 05:52 PM
Registered User
PC Pilot's Avatar
You are on the right track so don't worry about making this one hollow. Get it flying and and plan on the hollow craft when you start molding them.
Jul 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
Alright, Fahim, cut it out!. I just stumbled across this thread and this project is just way too cool. Couldn't you at least wait til I finish your Typhoon? You know I don't need any more projects right now.

Creative as usual.

Regards,
Jeff
Well I figured a Typhoon was coming soon so I put up my storm shutters. Now I am in the dark & claustrophobic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangair
Just a cool side note, when I was a younger man ok boy my Big Brother Assoc. who was a KC 135 pilot took me to an air show at Mather Air Force Base in Sacramento. I witnessed the Avrocar in person, I saw it hover with my own two eyes! Wow, and we just put a man on the moon a couple years earlier! May not seem like much to you young ones but at the time boy was that cool! Oh and one day he brought home some solid rocket fuel it was black and putty like. He put it on the blade of a shovel and lit it with a long match it was stubborn at first. It started to burn and became fiercely bright, we had to look away. It started to burn a hole through the shovel and showed no sign of going out. After what seemed like minutes but was more like a 45 second burn there was a gaping hole in the shovel and a cracked brick with a large burn mark on it. Also really cool!

Stephen
No wonder it did not fly. They called it a avro CAR.
If they had named it a FLYING SAUCER it would have flown fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Pilot
You are on the right track so don't worry about making this one hollow. Get it flying and and plan on the hollow craft when you start molding them.
If I do everything, people would complain they have nothing to do.
Jul 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
I figured that prop wash hitting the flat surface of the motor mount plywood is not a good idea. It will create turbulence and down force fighting the up thrust of the props. Also noise. So I dressed then up to be aerodynamic.

Fahim
Last edited by awrightbrother; Jul 17, 2013 at 04:44 AM.
Jul 16, 2013, 09:25 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
verticalspark's Avatar
this is looking great! Definitely going to be following this one closely.
Jul 16, 2013, 11:35 PM
Team Mulikow
mulikow's Avatar
Will happily donate a dji naza m with gps for flight trials....as long as it gets shipped back.
Jul 17, 2013, 05:43 AM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulikow
Will happily donate a dji naza m with gps for flight trials....as long as it gets shipped back.
Thank you for your generous offer. I don't know much about the DJI unit but will read up on it. I am looking at a cheapy HK unit and a mid priced one from a local vendor. I figured I might as well buy one.
Fahim
Jul 17, 2013, 05:48 AM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
I have some kits to cut and ship today and a honey do project to help out with. So not much progress will happen. But I did manage to jazz up the hatch cover last night. Here are some pictures.
Fahim
Jul 17, 2013, 08:32 AM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Looks superb!

Are the motors plumb or perpendicular to the table, or are they angled outward a few degrees?
Jul 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
BrownEyedFool's Avatar
When you're looking at flight control boards, you have a very handy resource in Florida, Paul aka witespy the proprietor of Ready To Fly Quads. http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/

Besides being a place to get a great flight control board (the Flip) for dirt dirt cheap, Paul is also a great resource in terms of configuring and tweaking these machines. Lean on Paul to help get the mechanics and controls squared away.

Then we send a link to the Crashcast about your new kit and you suddenly get orders for about a hundred of them.
Jul 17, 2013, 09:19 AM
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
Looks superb!

Are the motors plumb or perpendicular to the table, or are they angled outward a few degrees?
They are plumb, no outward angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
When you're looking at flight control boards, you have a very handy resource in Florida, Paul aka witespy the proprietor of Ready To Fly Quads. http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/

Besides being a place to get a great flight control board (the Flip) for dirt dirt cheap, Paul is also a great resource in terms of configuring and tweaking these machines. Lean on Paul to help get the mechanics and controls squared away.

Then we send a link to the Crashcast about your new kit and you suddenly get orders for about a hundred of them.
I know Paul, and have spoken with him a couple of times. Very knowledgeable man for multirotor and he is in FL on the west coast and I am on the east coast.. I have ordered one of his controllers with GPS. Waiting for it to arrive.

BTW what is the Crashcast?
Jul 17, 2013, 09:42 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
BrownEyedFool's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
They are plumb, no outward angle.



I know Paul, and have spoken with him a couple of times. Very knowledgeable man for multirotor and he is in FL on the west coast and I am on the east coast.. I have ordered one of his controllers with GPS. Waiting for it to arrive.

BTW what is the Crashcast?
http://www.thecrashcast.com/

The Crashcast is a podcast hosted by Michael "Crash" Hancock out of Waco, Texas, recorded live each sunday night and available through itunes. They'd been doing a lot of stuff on quads lately, they've dubbed this season the Summer of Multirotors. They've had Paul on their show as a guest recently too.

The Crashcast is one of my favorite RC podcasts, alongside All Things That Fly and the RC Today show. When these podcasts mention or link you in their show notes (or have you on as a guest) you tend to see an increase in pageviews and orders.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Marvin Martian's Flying Saucer bobdaeronort Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 96 May 09, 2014 09:19 AM
Discussion UFO Flying Saucer Ron_RC Scratchbuilt Multirotor Drones 7 Feb 04, 2014 03:33 AM
Discussion Quad Saucer - UFO - RCG R&D - read this before making a saucer ! ggtronic Multirotor Drone Talk 54 Mar 21, 2013 08:53 PM
Discussion Alien flying saucer and X-UFO draxx Coaxial Helicopters 0 Mar 20, 2009 02:27 PM
Gallery Flying Saucer 4 foamflyer Your Plane Photos 0 May 26, 2004 11:53 AM