Jul 15, 2013, 05:18 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
pretty cool...

ApachePilot
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2013, 05:53 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Pretty neat idea. I am afraid it is more a VTOL than a UFO.

My goals as stated in my opening post were that "a UFO should be able to rise and descend vertically, hover in one place, move forward, backward, right, left, all from a stationary hover position, and yaw 360 degrees while hovering in one spot."

Addtionally a UFO cannot have wings and vertical stab. The aliens are objecting to that.

Fahim
Last edited by awrightbrother; Jul 15, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Jul 15, 2013, 05:55 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
I continued working on the hatch lid and also shaped the ducts.
Fahim
Jul 15, 2013, 06:38 PM
Just Plane Addicted
Kinda cool...definitely subscribed. You mentioned you'd kit this once you got the kinks worked out. I could be in the market for a copy...depending on price of course. She Who Must be Obeyed would give me a hiding if I bought something that cost an arm and a leg.....
Jul 15, 2013, 07:07 PM
Andres Lu
Pretty neat! Should be interesting to fly this over your neighborhood and see how many of them report a UFO sighting.

-Andres
Jul 15, 2013, 07:46 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweaselnz
Kinda cool...definitely subscribed. You mentioned you'd kit this once you got the kinks worked out. I could be in the market for a copy...depending on price of course. She Who Must be Obeyed would give me a hiding if I bought something that cost an arm and a leg.....
Yes I will kit it. My kits come with everything you can't buy at a hobby shop, that means the cut foam only. As for price, how about just the legs? You will need both arms to build it.
Fahim
Jul 15, 2013, 07:48 PM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458
Pretty neat! Should be interesting to fly this over your neighborhood and see how many of them report a UFO sighting.

-Andres
Careful now. I don't want you to be scaring people and causing traffic accidents. I plan to fly it at my club's field only.

Fahim
Jul 16, 2013, 01:15 AM
Team Mulikow
Well...so far im interested...and will be the first person in Canada to have one. Before I forget....you do very nice work!
Jul 16, 2013, 01:30 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
I'm watching. I really don't give a squat about quads but this beast has my attention. Quads were interesting when they first came out but now have invaded the land like a plague. At least this UFO is something more than four props thrashing the air. I suspect that the UFO shape has wormed its way into the popular psyche.

J.P.
Jul 16, 2013, 02:10 AM
have you considered simple vectored thrust through tilting vanes at the exhaust side of the ducts for forward flight? The vanes could also be used for yawing control.
Jul 16, 2013, 04:16 AM
fun 'n fly
Hi

I like this project.

Good look to achieve it.

Best regards
Jul 16, 2013, 06:46 AM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulikow
Well...so far im interested...and will be the first person in Canada to have one. Before I forget....you do very nice work!
I used to live in Guelph, Canada. Love your country and the people. The weather, as I get older, was hard for me to take so I ended up here in Florida. If you ever decide to relocate your country further south, say the Caribbean sea, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56
have you considered simple vectored thrust through tilting vanes at the exhaust side of the ducts for forward flight? The vanes could also be used for yawing control.
Too complicated and will add weight. A quadcopter is a form of vector thrust machine but uses no additional hardware. It is done electrically. I will explain when we get to that stage.

Fahim
Jul 16, 2013, 07:02 AM
Wowplanes.com
Thread OP
The next step was to mount the motors.

The motors I am using have a Y mount, others have a + mount. I sandwiched and taped 4 pieces of 1/8" ply, drew the shape on the top piece extending the arms 1/2" past the duct perimeter, drilled the holes, and made one cut on a scroll saw. I ended up with 4 identical pieces for the price of one.

Fahim
Jul 16, 2013, 07:14 AM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
It's looking great Fahim, I would really like to see the thing hollowed out a bit though.. You said it was cut using a CNC cutter. It would be easy to program it to hollow out some bays between rotors. Shaving a lot of weight yet keeping things structurally sound.

ApachePilot
Jul 16, 2013, 07:37 AM
Build more, websurf less
Fahim,

First really cool-looking quad I've seen. Didn't the US Armed Forces R&D do something like this in the 1950s?

To make it a real UFO you will have to upgrade the quaint motors and props with some kind of magnetic field drives (just making that up too). Would be cool to have something like this with the number of moving parts reduced to none.

Keep it coming,

Paul

Quick Reply