Any strategies or tips for 1st scale Swift NX 550 Jet Ranger build ? - RC Groups
Jul 14, 2013, 12:17 PM
Heck Ya!!
Discussion

Any strategies or tips for 1st scale Swift NX 550 Jet Ranger build ?

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if there are any common "If I were to do it all over again, I'd do it this way instead" build tips that you might be willing to share.

I will be building my first scale heli - a 550 Jet Ranger using FunKey/Century parts. I already have two Century Swifts - an older 16 and a new NX, both of which fly just great. One, or a combo of the better parts from both, will be going into the Ranger fuselage.

I'm really curious about electronics placement and wiring. For a typical pod and boom things go where they go as there is access from just about all around the heli, but inside a scale fusealge the only access is going to be with the front/top removed. Do you lengthen servo and/or gyro wires and place the receiver up near the front? What about the ESC? And batteries? In general I try to keep BECs and ESCs away from the receiver but not sure how well this works out in a scale heli.

I'm thinking everything should really be up front, but realize there may be things I don't know as to why that could be a bad idea.

Any tips and/or pics would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
-John
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jul 29, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2013, 03:45 PM
the great Gassif´er
It is not that hard, but it is (or at least can be) time consuming:

Never fit stuff the first time around. Always first fit stuff "temporary", just to think about it.
Always try to think of ways to eliminate balancing lead (for example, don't fit the tail servo on the boom "just because it was there in pod&boom config" if it turns out you need lead in the nose).

Test-fit stuff to see if it is "service-friendly" because it is really unpleasant, that for example for a simple adjustment of the tail control rod you have to dismantle half the heli....

Brgds, Bert
Jul 14, 2013, 09:23 PM
mike thread temporarily borken
i agree with temporary fit advice. i am building my first scale heli too, and i plan on making many flights to get all the bugs worked out before putting into fuselage. i plan on keeping as many elec components up front since the front removes from my model. best of luck, enjoy
Jul 15, 2013, 05:20 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
There will be no need to put your receiver up front thing will be getting clutterd up there but i would recommend fitting an an extension lead from the bind port up front thats the most needed channel ( also after binding you can run your nav lights off it )

if poss don't add weight in most cases with scale you can move your battery forward more than you would with pod and boom to get the C of G right

good luck with your build

phil.
Jul 15, 2013, 08:45 PM
If your using a flybarless system, try to install it in a location that will allow you to make adjustments while the mechanics are still installed. I have a couple of scale helicopters that need some basic trimming of the flybarless system but I don't have access without removing the mechanics. At this point I correct for the bad tendencies but will make my adjustments when I have the time and desire to pull the mechanics out of the fuselage.
Jul 17, 2013, 07:14 PM
Heck Ya!!
Great stuff guys - thanks a bunch! What about satellite receivers - can they go inside the fuse or do they need to be outside ?

If all goes well my fuselage should be here tomorrow ...

I'm thinking of doing a dry run assembly with an extra Swift NX airframe I have - no electronics - just to see what kind of mechanical issues need to be resolved first. Make sense ?
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jul 17, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Jul 18, 2013, 05:38 AM
Inside is fine so long as your fuse is not made of carbon fibre.
Jul 18, 2013, 10:05 PM
Heck Ya!!
Big grins tonight

Jul 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
Heck Ya!!
Questions: What's the preferred method for mounting the windshield? CA, Epoxy, or a bunch of tiny screws for improved scale appearance ? The manual says use silicone or goop (?) If gluing do I need to sand down the painted surfaces first (thinking I do, but hoping I don't) ?

I'll probably approach the build something like:
  1. Do a dry run install/assembly of airframe & mechanics only to see what changes and/or mods need to be done. I ordered the Swift scale mechanics platform and am researching different types of landing gear. The Align 600/700 LG appear to be inexpensive options for now. I'm aware of the gear from Northwest ScaleWorks but those will be a future upgrade.
  2. Design and install the anti-collision, position and landing lights. I've got a few video clips of full size helis for reference. I'm liking this one right now: Jet Ranger landing at PSP I'm just not sure about the landing light in the nose - I would have to cut that support that runs right up the middle ... (?)
  3. Pick either my Swift 16 or Swift NX and prepare it for the transformation. Already have a pair of SpinBlades Asymmetrical 550s, a 100A ESC with active freewheeling, 800kV motor, a bunch of pinions and a few 5S and 6S packs. She's gonna have a flybar though - FBL is another future upgrade.
  4. Get down to work ... This should keep me busy for quite a while
Thanks!
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jul 24, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Jul 21, 2013, 11:27 AM
I REALLY like that color Scheme
Jul 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
Heck Ya!!
Thanks - me too! I just hope there won't be any visual/orientation problems due to the large black areas of the heli.
Jul 22, 2013, 02:43 PM
Aw you should be alright with something that Big especially if your use to flying 450size!!!
Jul 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
This is what you want for the windows, fins, exhaust pipes, etc. Works great, dries clear, comes apart if you need to. Does not fog clear plastic either.
Jul 23, 2013, 10:25 PM
Heck Ya!!
Excellent - Thanks!
Jul 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
Heck Ya!!
Just curious - does anybody have better docs for the assembly of the Jet Ranger using Swift 16 or NX Helicopter mechanics? The 6 page doc that came with the fuselage is for a TREX 550E, Century Hawk Pro, or Hirobo Shuttle, but nothing for the Swifts (?) Seems odd since the 550 Real Deal includes Swift mechanics ...

I received the Swift Scale Mechanics Platform but there's no instructions and/or assembly suggestions for that item nor it's parts either. For example - what's the purpose of the CF platform that sticks out the front of the bottom metal piece? It has lots of slots for adjustments - adjustments for what?

Am I missing something or are you 'on your own' with scale helis ? I can probably figure out something that will appear to work, but if there's a better way that avoids future-unknown-(by me)-pitfalls I'd really like to give that a try first

Thanks!
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jul 25, 2013 at 06:41 PM.