This thread is privately moderated by TPfingston, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 13, 2013, 07:43 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Thread OP
Discussion

Catching up!

About a month ago, I looked around and I had over seven uncompleted projects going. Talk about ADD. I couldn't seem to finish anything and seemingly continuously finding something new to start. Long story short, I decided to get some of my projects into flying condition at least even if not completely finished. A mohth ago I think I had one airplane in fllying condition, my foam 1.4 meter FMS T-28. Today, I have the T-28, Fleet Bipe, Aerodrome SE5, Hobby Lobby Stinson 105, Ace All Star Bipe, a foamy SBD5 and a F-86 EDF. My scratch built Vigilante is moving along slowly with an F-14 pusher and an F-22 still in the wings waiting.

I'm also getting some flying in. This morning I got two good flights in on the T-28. I'm not overly fond of foamiy ARF's but I've got to admit the T-28 is a great flying airplane. This evening I got two more flights in on the Fleet Bipe. This Pat Tritle design is another really nice little airplane. Really nostalgic. Looks so realistic when you see the silhouette of the old biplane against the summer thunderclouds and the setting sun. It is really relaxing. Unfortunately even with my grass cut as short as I can cut it, it is still difficult to get in good touch and goes. So 4 flights today. Congratulations to me.

While I'm on the subject of flying, I'll make a couple of quick comments on the SE5. I'm not nearly as happy with this airplane as I am with the Fleet. I had thought that the flight characteristics would be somewhat similar but they are not. Where the Fleet is nice and slow and will putter around the field quite nicely while throwing in the occasional loop, stall turn, hammerhead stall and even a spin or snap roll, the SE5 seems to be more of a handful. It is much quicker and needs a light touch on the sticks. It requires that you pay much more attention to flying. Maybe some expo will help tame it down a little. We'll see.

The SBD5 flys very nicely once airborne but be very careful on takeoff. You absolutely much have your airspeed sufficiently built up or she will snap on takeoff in a heartbeat and watch the airspeed on approach to landing. She is definitely a warbird.

The All Star as she is right now is definitely a handfull. She is very quick and will do two snaps almost before you can get the sticks recentered. I built my first All Star way back in 1973 while stationed in Ubon RTAFB, Thailand and as I remember now, it was quick also.
Last edited by TPfingston; Aug 01, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply