Feb 02, 2004, 08:43 PM
Thread OP

Hummer on order! What should I use?

I have a Hummingbird Version 2 and a Futaba GY240 gyro on order from HeliHobby! Woohoo!

Anyways, I'm going seperates but don't know which of my esc's to use. Here's what I have:

-Pixie 7
-ICS 300 (or whatever the 15 amp is called)
-ICS 100 (5 amp)
-Trick R/C 20 amp from my second plane

I was thinking the Pixie on the main motor and the GWS 5 amp for tail. Sound okay?

I want to use the Pixie because I'm going staight to lipos. The Pixie will allow me to set the cut off voltage. Which is the second question. Which lipos are best for the HB? I was thinking Etec 1200's but for a little more I can get TP 1320's with a higher capacity and discharge rate. Anybody have a preference?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2004, 09:11 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Wait till your order shows up! Some new Lipo's maybe available by then! I hear the Irate cells look promising. The pixie and the 100 should work.
Feb 02, 2004, 09:32 PM
I agree with patrickegan. That should work with out any problems.

What tx are you using?

I use kokam 2 cell 1500mah. They work great. I heard their are some new cells comming out from "tanick" ( not sure if that is how it's spelled). They're suppose to be able to handle significant amp draws.
Feb 02, 2004, 09:35 PM
I may be missing something here but -

Is it good to use a speed controller with cutoff in a heli?

The reslults seem a bit obvious. The speed controller does it's job by shutting down voltage to motor thus, protecting battery. The heli falls to the ground breaking into several pieces and the battery is damaged on impact.

Unless you plan on using it to perform tests to establish some kind of time baseline to set a timer with.

I have been getting worried about my lipos in the Hummingbird. I decided to order a battsignal. It looks like a great little product if it performs as advertized.

I run etec 1200 2s1p in mine with Johnson motor and dd tail. 15 minutes runtime with loads of power entire flight. It could certainly lift a heavier battery. TP 2100 or better.

Mark
Feb 02, 2004, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
HeliHobby is slow on shipping? Oh well, just this once. The hobby shops near me have all the replacement parts so I don't have to order them.

The pixie and ICS 100 it is.

mpj220-I'll have to see how long they last while I'm learning and go from there.

So it really doesn't matter what lipos I use? Works for me.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, TX is an Eclipes 7.

Dave

Quick Reply