Jul 12, 2013, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Do you prefer a wood frame for FPV/AP? Why or why not?

I'm wondering, how many people use wood frames for FPV/AP? And why or why not?

It seems like so many people stray away from wood frames, even though I hear wood is the best material of all for vibration reduction, and make quads out of more expensive and vibration prone carbon fiber, aluminum, etc.

Reason this really comes to mind is this. My first quad was a wood quad. Didn't know much about vibration reduction at all Yet simply by coupling the battery with the gopro, and velcro'ing it to the bottom. I got pretty jello free video. Then I discovered these F450 frames. I loved the durability, low cost, much easier to see orientation, etc. However vibrations are plaguing footage so much. Although I have probably 5x the knowledge I had building my first quad, and go to much much greater lengths of vibration reduction than I even knew how to before (more meticulous balancing, moongel, zeal, silicone dampers, wire isolation,etc), I still haven't achieved as good of results as I did on that old wood quad.

I'm thinking about building a new fpv rig, going back to wood, and making it quite similar to the QAV500. Spider design, with the camera/battery/fc etc all on a seperate vibration isolated top plate. Anyone built one like that, or have any opinions? I'm optomisticly thinking the combination of wood, and isolation design, it has potential be the most vibration resistant frame ever.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2013, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
bump.
Jul 14, 2013, 06:16 PM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864
bump.
Carl, I'd highly recommend looking at Ecks Frame. The design and the material used, makes it very strong frame.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&highlight=eck

Quick Reply