This thread is privately moderated by bmiller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 12, 2013, 03:07 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Thread OP
Discussion

SAPAC Viperjet 70mm

Bought this from Hung(zaskarkid) already built sans power system and flap servos. He had bought it built but never flew it due to other projects. Beautiful looking jet with sapac retracts/struts/cockpit details and pilots. I installed my wemo70mm/megaEDF/ICE100/4S 3200s. Had several issues to fix prior to maiden flight. The retract air valve servo was smoked and the nose geardoor was badly done with tape as the hinge and the control horn popped right off the door the 1st time I activated it. I just removed the door and its servo completely. replaced bad servo, new flap servos, set throws and CoG per rcg thread.
Took off perfect, one main didn't retract so I lowered the other 2 and kept flying. Flies very stable, a couple clicks here and there and shes on rails. good climb, decent speed but it wants more! Putted around practiced a couple landing approaches up high, Brought her in to land and the nosegear wasn't locked so it slide on the nose for 20ft in the dirt, dammit. Main gear bent back too. I'll have to drill the retracts/struts for 1/8 pianowire. I think the cable steering jammed the nosegear and prevented it from locking out. More to come.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller
Brought her in to land and the nosegear wasn't locked so it slide on the nose for 20ft in the dirt, dammit. Main gear bent back too. I'll have to drill the retracts/struts for 1/8 pianowire. I think the cable steering jammed the nosegear and prevented it from locking out. More to come.
This seems to happen all the time with my SAPAC T-45. I need to tweak it like you mentioned.
Jul 22, 2013, 01:17 AM
Thread OP
A couple more flights same nosegear issue. I was wrong, It's not the cables causing my problem. Took it apart and installed a shim under the spring to preload it and filed a rough spot off. 4 more flights no issues! Also drilled out and installed 1/8 piano wire so no more bending. It was really easy to do on these retracts/struts.The nosegear wire doesn't need a C clip groove cut into it like most others so it makes the process simple. Now I need to replace the maingear support blocks. Then it'll be all done.
Jul 22, 2013, 08:45 PM
Nice. The sapac gear and struts are really good for the money in my opinion.
Jul 26, 2013, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Agreed, I think they're the best air retracts for 70mm size jets, I hope some company over there will make/sell them again.

Quick Reply