Sep 18, 2019, 02:28 AM

Habu UMX Yellow version on 3s.

I have a yellow version of the Habu UMX. If I run 3s, what esc would I need. And what Mah battery. Special connectors? Any suggestions? Thanks, Chris.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 03:55 AM
BMFA 190658
You'd need to get the battery further back!

The electronics should be ok though. 2S AS3X prop planes are ok most of the time.... (that's deliberately vague by the way!)

Not sure about EDFs. Never felt the need to try it
Sep 18, 2019, 07:45 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetrums117
I have a yellow version of the Habu UMX. If I run 3s, what esc would I need. And what Mah battery. Special connectors? Any suggestions? Thanks, Chris.
Most of them handle 3s fine. It isn't needed though. The plane has plenty of power on quality 2S packs. If you want to go 3S getting some super tiny heatsinks and attaching them to the FETs and one to the VR on the brick improve the safety margin a lot. Carve out a little foam at the back of the battery tray and get the plane balanced correctly and you may find you don't want 3s anyways.

Check my post on glassing the bottom for cheap and easy way to keep the bottom from getting scuffed up when belly landing. Also on that note taking the gear off dramatically increases speed and performance.

-Brian
Sep 18, 2019, 02:41 PM
Custom User Name Title
I believe the actual problem with the UMX EDF planes wasn't so much the brick, it's the motor. The bearings aren't up to 400 million rpm
Sep 18, 2019, 03:48 PM
BMFA 190658
Geared EDFs must be the future then
Sep 19, 2019, 09:56 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Geared EDFs must be the future then
only if they used brushed motors.

-Brian
Sep 19, 2019, 05:06 PM
BMFA 190658
Geared brushless works for F5J
Sep 19, 2019, 05:14 PM
I'd rather be flying!
I wish they'd use geared BL on scale GA planes & warbirds, so that scale-diameter props could be used - instead of the tiny props usually seen on scale prop-jobs.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Sep 26, 2019, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Finally managed to get my latest edition of the UMX Habu (white & red livery) programmed to fly with the $%$# Safe Technology completely turned OFF! If ever there was a model for which the SAFE technology is ILLSuited, this has to be it! Just my opinion, so carp all you want. I have two of the original yellow UMX Habu's, and they fly infinitely better than the SAFE technology verson. I had a heck of a problem using a 1st Gen DX8 Spektrum transmitter on the "Safe Enabled" mini-Habu. Though the help of a fellow YCF flyer, I was able to program a Spektrum DX 6i transmitter that allowed for complete turnoff of "Safe". Tight aileron rolls, snap inside loops, inverted flying now all possible. I'm sure it's just me, but I am so glad that more recent models with "Safe" allow for "Safe Select", versus "Safe, Beginner, Intermediate, Advance" configurations. Apparently HH is aware of this, as new models today with "Safe Technology" are labeled "Safe Select", allowing for the complete disengagement of this "feature".

And yes, I fly my "Safe" mini Hubu on a 450mAh 2S Nano Lipo. Works great!
So are you flying the Safe version in advanced or did you somehow disable it completely? I sold my SAFE Habu since it flew poorly compared to the original yellow one. (Which I just scavenged the electrics from today sniff.)

Pete
Sep 27, 2019, 05:48 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
So are you flying the Safe version in advanced or did you somehow disable it completely? I sold my SAFE Habu since it flew poorly compared to the original yellow one. (Which I just scavenged the electrics from today sniff.)

Pete
I am flying my SAFE Habu with "SAFE Stupidity" completely turned off, courtesy of using a two position switch on a Spektrum DX6i transmitter. Still not as fully "snappy" as my previous yellow Habu's, but definitely a good performer. Nice to be able to enjoy this plane again.

RD
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Oct 03, 2019 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply