350 QX BNF With SAFE™ Technology by Blade® - Page 760 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 07, 2014, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemdesign
HI all, want to try fpv with the QX I hooked up my new Mobius to my boscam VTX. I had direct 12v off the battery to the vtx and the Mobius connected to the vtx for power 5v and vid. As soon as I plugged it to the battery smoke ad smell. Burned up the camera and vtx. %@#$%$$#. What did I do wrong. how is everyone powering this stuff.
Did you try to connect the charging wires to the video transmitter? That could cause the problem because there's more than the normal current draw that a regular micro video camera would use. The Mobius has its own internal battery which is charged through a USB cable at up to 1 amp. That's more than the Boscam VTX was designed to supply, I'd wager.

You can still use the Mobius with a Boscam VTX but you must disconnect the positive wire from the power plug and run it on the internal battery.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2014, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bob
Did you try to connect the charging wires to the video transmitter? That could cause the problem because there's more than the normal current draw that a regular micro video camera would use. The Mobius has its own internal battery which is charged through a USB cable at up to 1 amp. That's more than the Boscam VTX was designed to supply, I'd wager.

You can still use the Mobius with a Boscam VTX but you must disconnect the positive wire from the power plug and run it on the internal battery.

I connected The vtx from a lead coming directly off the battery main leads 12v and yes I did plug the Mobius charging wire into the 5v output of the vtx. I read of others doing that so I did. How could I keep the Mobius charged off the main battery? Is the 5v on the board capable of 1amp? Thanks
Jan 07, 2014, 09:18 AM
Not Broken Means Fix It
There 's a special cable that Möbius fpv pilots use that is not wired to provide power to the camera, just video out. Looks just like the regular Möbius to the computer's USB port cable, except it won't charge the camera's battery. Tom Frank has the best thread here on the Möbius and answers all questions you might have.
HTH
Jan 07, 2014, 09:30 AM
Not Broken Means Fix It
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas
Not sure of the type. But mine is quite accurate after I give it time to acquire more satellites. Arming immediately after lock is frequently not sufficient because the bird is still acquiring satellites.
Same here.
When I first take-off in safe mode, the accuracy of the gps hold is less than it is 20 seconds later. I figure it's due to lifting off and getting away from any ground clutter.
Jan 07, 2014, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas
What happened to you is no mystery at all. You did not lose GPS. If you lose GPS it reverts to stability with altitude hold. What happened to you is common in the first few moments of flight or when flying around objects blocking satellites.

This is because as you flew around the first time the GPS positioning became more accurate as it acquired more satellites, so it did not drift (recalculate) from the second re-arm position.
Gottit thanks - that explains it well
Jan 07, 2014, 11:01 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemdesign
I connected The vtx from a lead coming directly off the battery main leads 12v and yes I did plug the Mobius charging wire into the 5v output of the vtx. I read of others doing that so I did. How could I keep the Mobius charged off the main battery? Is the 5v on the board capable of 1amp? Thanks
I setup my 350 QX for FPV using the Mobius with a Fatshark vtx and I powered the vtx using the balance lead on the battery. Then I used the video out cable for the Mobius to power the camera from the vtx using the 3 pin servo connector that comes with the video out cable. You have to make sure the pins in the servo connector are in the proper position the the vtx Power, Ground then Video in. When you plug in to the balance lead the Mobius and the vtx will power on, all you have to do is press the shutter button on the Mobius and you're recording and sending video out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
Jan 07, 2014, 12:20 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Have you guy's hooked up a watt meter to the 350,and seen how many amps it pulls at WOT? I have a bunch of 3s1800 mah 40C batterys and thought they might work if the flight time wasn't too short?
Jan 07, 2014, 12:24 PM
Mini Obsessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer
I setup my 350 QX for FPV using the Mobius with a Fatshark vtx and I powered the vtx using the balance lead on the battery. Then I used the video out cable for the Mobius to power the camera from the vtx using the 3 pin servo connector that comes with the video out cable. You have to make sure the pins in the servo connector are in the proper position the the vtx Power, Ground then Video in. When you plug in to the balance lead the Mobius and the vtx will power on, all you have to do is press the shutter button on the Mobius and you're recording and sending video out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
Nice and clean install. Like that.
You could eliminate the fatshark adapter board if you wanted and just tap off the main voltage lines from your battery. I wired in when I switched connectors to deans.
Looks good.
Jan 07, 2014, 12:44 PM
Not Broken Means Fix It
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
It sure helped me! That's exactly what I want to do. Thank you!

ps where did you buy your gear?
Jan 07, 2014, 03:42 PM
Team Armattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog
Have you guy's hooked up a watt meter to the 350,and seen how many amps it pulls at WOT? I have a bunch of 3s1800 mah 40C batterys and thought they might work if the flight time wasn't too short?
I haven't checked the actual amp draw at WOT but I have been using 1800 Mah 25 C batteries with no issue.

As flight times are well over 6 minutes I figure the actual (average) amp draw is much less than 10C. (22 amps) for a 2200 Mah batt.

I did a 10 minute flight yesterday and put 2600 Mah back into a 2800 pack.

That was heavy with a GoPro and protective mount and heavy battery in windy conditions but still shows an average draw of only 15.6 amps.

I understand you are asking for the amps at WOT but I'm confident your 1800 / 40C batteries will be fine.
Last edited by Rob2160; Jan 07, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Jan 07, 2014, 04:16 PM
Here are a few negatives to using the 350 for FPV, I am not really complaining because I am using it for something it was not designed for. The receiver range is not good enough and I get caught out by obstacles blocking receiver as well. I had one case where it went into RTH or so I thought because it went up out of my control to start the return voyage but then just decided to land on its own but much too fast and broke the body. Another case while flying in the trees it lost signal and flew itself up into the trees and crashed back to mother earth after hitting the trees, only lost one leg of the landing gear on that episode. Another problem is flight time I only get about 7 min of flight time and that is not enough.
I bound it with GPS off and that cured the flying up into the trees part but makes for a long walk when it loses signal. I have bound it this way before but this time when I did, it didn’t have alt hold in stability mode as a matter of fact it seemed almost like agility mode. How should it act in stability mode with GPS off?

It was a great starting point to FPV quad flying but it just doesn’t work for ma any longer, I guess I will have to part with it and build something that more fits my needs which will cost much more I am sure. What is a used BNF with prop adpapters and carbon props worth?
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyCowie
Currently wading through this thread to get as much info as possible... Has anyone upgraded the on board Antenna for it to increase range?
I added a longer section of antenna on my FC board and routed it out the top of the body.So far it has helped with range. My range was diminishing quickly as I have been using my 350QX for mainly low (2 ft. off ground) FPV flying around my house and trees. Be forewarned that adding a length of antenna has to be done correctly with very small high freq.coax cable and then keeping exactly 31mm of bare wire at the end.
In thrust I trust
Maybe I'm way off base here but something to consider is if the 350 detects low voltage it will affect certain things namely what it does during RTH or loss of TX signal..so just thinking worst case you are climbing quickly and voltage drops low enough to trigger the first low voltage indication..even though once you stop climbing and the indication stops (voltage drop eliminated)does it reset the logic that will cause it to just descend if RTH or a loss of TX happens? And if so is this immediate..? Just things to ponder..I know everyone here is meticulous about battery state but transient low voltage situations still happen right?
Jan 07, 2014, 04:21 PM
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPINE
Here are a few negatives to using the 350 for FPV, I am not really complaining because I am using it for something it was not designed for. The receiver range is not good enough and I get caught out by obstacles blocking receiver as well. I had one case where it went into RTH or so I thought because it went up out of my control to start the return voyage but then just decided to land on its own but much too fast and broke the body. Another case while flying in the trees it lost signal and flew itself up into the trees and crashed back to mother earth after hitting the trees, only lost one leg of the landing gear on that episode. Another problem is flight time I only get about 7 min of flight time and that is not enough.
I bound it with GPS off and that cured the flying up into the trees part but makes for a long walk when it loses signal. I have bound it this way before but this time when I did, it didn’t have alt hold in stability mode as a matter of fact it seemed almost like agility mode. How should it act in stability mode with GPS off?

It was a great starting point to FPV quad flying but it just doesn’t work for ma any longer, I guess I will have to part with it and build something that more fits my needs which will cost much more I am sure. What is a used BNF 350 worth?
You have to be in 'smart mode' w/ GPS OFF and then it will have altitude hold. See my post above as I did increase my range some (few hundred+ feet), but I think with a stand-alone receiver it would do much better. I am building a mini-H quad that will be (hopefully) better for that.
Jan 07, 2014, 04:23 PM
Hi All,

I am happy to announce that KMel Robotics has partnered with Yuneec International on a new project : FlyingEyes.com. Check out our new cool video
Flying Robot Dance (1 min 37 sec)
and see more details about new platforms at FlyingEyes.

By the way, I can no longer answer 350QX-related questions and talk about any potential issues.

Alex
Last edited by kushlik; Jan 15, 2014 at 02:01 PM.