Jul 10, 2013, 12:23 AM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
Discussion

Polar Pro Glass Filters for gopro.

So out of the blue PolarPro sends me a PM and asks me if I want to try out and review a few of their filters. They must have watched one of my AV videos and saw the jello effect I was having. I am currently not using a gimbal or anti-vibration device to mount my gopro, and it shows. Especially when I was using the bare frame mount, as it seems I had a loose mount, and it was making things worse. When I used a full enclosure with the gopro, the quality was much better, almost jello free considering.

On to the filters. Austen from PolarPro filters said that he was going to be releasing a filter that would help eliminate the jello effect. Needless to say I was very curious as to how this could be accomplished.

Not only do the filters reduce jello effect, they are useful for several different situations. How do they do it? By bringing the f-stop down of the gopro which slows the shutter down, and that reduces jello effect. They come in several flavors.
http://www.polarprofilters.com/

The package came very well packed, and the filters were in a nice box well protected. They come with a micro fiber protective bag to keep them in. The filters are not labeled though, but it was easy enough to scratch in a name on the plastic.
The fit on the gopro3 was superb. The glass used for the filter itself seems to be of high quality. They are glass, and they can break so be careful.

So today I got to test them out. The first thing I wanted to see was if they could indeed reduce jello effect. I can say yes they do. Of course with some trade offs some of the times. There are times when putting the filter on will actually help image quality, and reduce jello effect, and other times where image quality (sharpness) will suffer a little. There will be a blur effect. But I think the trade off is worth it. This is my opinion after only one test with the filters. I am sure over the next month or so I will be trying them in different situations and finding out what they are, and aren't good for.

I made some flights, the first ones with a very loose gopro mount. You can hear it shaking in the video. For some reason the clip was loose in the holder. A piece of tape cured that for the second part of the video.

So the first 3 split clips are with the loose mount. and while the filters could reduce all of the shaking going on, what I did notice is that it was shaking that you saw, and not jello. So what we learn from this is you must take every step possible to reduce jello effect, then use the filter and the end result will be worth it.

The second 3 split clips, focus on the noodle I added to the landing gear and you can clearly see how the jello is reduced. Keep in mind that due to the light conditions it may or may have not been a good idea to run the filter. I suppose the brighter it is out, the better these will work. Really this first test was just to compare jello effect reduction. I will do other testing as I go and post the videos here.

I tested the 3 and 4 stop neutral density "naked mount" (naked mounts snap directly to the bare camera) and the polarized naked mount. I have two other filters that snap to the waterproof housing for the gopro3. I will test them later.

I am using a DJI F450 with 2212 900kv motors, 30 amp opto, 1038 carbon DJI props, 3S 5400, Hobby King holybro 328p multiwii, bluetooth telemetry, spectrum radio.

Polar Pro filters, comparison to reduce "jello effect" (2 min 47 sec)

More to come, stay tuned,
Anthony Sole
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2013, 08:25 AM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
Reserved for part 2
Jul 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
Whats the cost?
Jul 10, 2013, 09:12 PM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsurfer
Whats the cost?
Check the web-site for all pricing, they have package deals too.
www.polarprofilters.com
Jul 21, 2013, 06:56 AM
I highly recommend this product. I bought the 3 pack a few weeks ago and immediately noticed an improvement. More importantly, it saved my black edition ($400) when I had a hard landing on asphalt the other day. The camera was angled down and without the filter on the lens would have been smashed. Cheap insurance for your GoPro as well as improved video. No, I don't work for them.
Sep 15, 2014, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DParker
I highly recommend this product. I bought the 3 pack a few weeks ago and immediately noticed an improvement. More importantly, it saved my black edition ($400) when I had a hard landing on asphalt the other day. The camera was angled down and without the filter on the lens would have been smashed. Cheap insurance for your GoPro as well as improved video. No, I don't work for them.
Which ones did you purchase?
Are you using the GoPro case?
Thanks
Sep 29, 2014, 07:33 PM
I have V1 of the polar pro ND filter. Yes it reduces jello, but softens/blurs the image so much its not really acceptable to my standards. Not sure if the V2 is an improvement as I haven't tried it.

Quick Reply