Mar 10, 2014, 03:16 PM
It's all in the Blades!
This is the one, think it is something to do with Horizon Hobby

http://www.modelflyermagazine.com/

Rich
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2014, 05:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I checked Horizons site but couldn't find any mention of it, and did a Google search and only found the U.K. site, so, I'm not sure if it is available in the U.S. Oh well....can always be ordered from the U.K.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Mar 10, 2014, 05:30 PM
It's all in the Blades!
I will try and find out Steve
Mar 10, 2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks Rich....

SteveT.
Mar 10, 2014, 05:31 PM
It's all in the Blades!
They have an ebay shop!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ADH-Hobby-B...p2047675.l2563
Mar 10, 2014, 05:47 PM
Cool...but again in the U.K. so direct order just as easy when the plans come out. There are a couple of British mags that I really like, but by the time I get subscriptions for them, they are about $110.00 shipped here...and for that I can get three U.S. based magazine subscriptions.

SteveT.
Mar 10, 2014, 06:23 PM
Just curious. Why do the designers on the left side of the pond generously share their design plans with others for free on the forum...??
Mar 10, 2014, 07:17 PM
Because they're nice guys!! But they are on the right side of the pond from me.... Of course I am also on the left coast of the U.S.....so way right of me...

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Mar 10, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Mar 10, 2014, 07:25 PM
Totally agree with the nice guy comment
Mar 11, 2014, 03:04 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Designers on the right side of the puddle do as well. There are also designers on both sides that put hours and hours as well as a lot of money into designing wonderful model for us to build and some of them (quite rightly in my opinion) use the sale of plans to finance there next project from which we all benefit.

Of the 20 or so models which I have built from this Forum I have always PM'd the designer and offered to 'PayPal' a small donation towards their next project, they have to buy sheets of Depron, props glue and shoes for the wife (have to keep her happy so you can concentrate on building). I have ended up with some fantastic flying models which I would not have had the ability or time to create from scratch and if I had purchased kits it would have cost me far, far more. The way which I look at it is that I am financially assisting in the development of the next ‘creation’ which may well be exactly what I want to build and someone else is saving me a whole heap of time and trouble.

I feel that this Forum is split into 3 kind of types of people, the ones who want information regarding commercial products where in many cases they are just too lazy to RTFM or to experiment themselves, those who want cheap designs because they do not have the ability to design themselves or the money to purchase kits and the last group are those who unselfishly sacrifice hours and hours as well as spending huge amounts of cash to help the people who fall into categories 1 and 2.

I fall into category 2 and am more than happy to use some of my beer tokens to pay for a plan which will allow me to produce a model which has not been produced purely for commercial reasons (i.e. to make money).

I think that we have nice guys on both sides.

Paul
Last edited by PaulB; Mar 11, 2014 at 03:20 AM.
Mar 11, 2014, 03:19 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
PS, what I also find really *******, if you search around the worlds various ebay sites you will quickly find loads of ‘kits’ being sold by various ‘Cottage Industry’ type of sellers which are blatantly models offered on this Forum. Steal a design and sell kits as if they were your own design, lots of people out there must have Asian roots!!!!
Mar 11, 2014, 03:28 AM
It's all in the Blades!
I also agree, there have been just as many US guys upload free plans aswell.

For me one design helps partly to fund the next, if we did it purely to make money it just wouldn't happen.
On average it takes me about 40 hours to draw up a plan but that is the easy bit! the hardest thing is thinking of what to design. Then there is the building time and devolpment time to get it right.
So something like this model, despite it being relatively simple, can easily eat up60-70 hrs of my time from start to finish.
So why do it?

Take last Sunday,

I passed my transmitter to Steve Jones and said, have a flight, if it breaks it doesnt matter. He flew it quite a number of times and he really enjoyed it, me, I was chuffed at seeing him enjoy it!
If you take that and the comments you guys add about the fun your having with the models it is worth every single second that is put in to a design! If I get a few servos, depron or balsa out of it that is a bonus!

Regards

Rich
Mar 11, 2014, 03:31 AM
It's all in the Blades!
I have been flying RC aircraft since I was young, but I have had more fun and made lots of good friends in the last years 8 years since I have been playing with these things. Not just over here but around the world......

Speaks for itself I think!
Mar 11, 2014, 06:46 AM
Wikipedia has a some interesting definitions of rationalization or as they call it "making excuses"
With one major exception folks on the wright er I mean right side of the big puddle make it prohibitively expensive and difficult to obtain paper AG plans even for a simple foam model. It seems that fear of a giant autogyro conspiracy to "cheat" them out of a few bonus servos or depron or balsa seems to preclude any thought of a modern age digital transfer for a few paypal quid that would allow many more hobbiests that lurk on the forums to build the designs and thus grow the hobby. Just some thoughts....
Mar 11, 2014, 08:16 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
http://www.coolwind.co.uk/R_Harris_D...7_2119278.aspx

Quite well publicised link to many of Rich’s designs available world wide at reasonable cost without having to purchase one of the magazines in which he presents some of his work….