West Michigan Park Flyers Tuff Cub - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jul 26, 2013, 01:20 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Second Kit build (First sucessful build)

Greetings to all,

This is my first post to the RC Forums and it is fitting that this post should be about the Tuff Cub and WMPF.

Build took all of one evening (most of that waiting for the glue to dry)

The build help availble on this forum was a BIG help. Greg from WMPF says that this plane is almost indestuctable. I wonder how he knows that because even with my limited flying skills I have not been able to crash this plane yet...

Probably have 10+ flights so far, I flew it today across the street from where I work, wind was blowing steady 10 to 15 mph (No Really, the big flag on the corner of 8th and US 31 in Holland was standing out straight and its a REALLY BIG FLAG) The Tuff Cub was definetly affected by the wind but that wasn't about to stop it from doing some really fun wind surfing.

No matter what I throw at this thing it just takes it and asks for more. Loops, Hammer Heads, slow passes and something that I was totally not expecting but High Alpha hovers (this required some "extra" elevator throw but what a hoot...

Thanks Greg and Barbara, I am having a blast.....

Going to have the grand kids take a spin with it this week-end and will report back.

Man am I hooked on this Hobby........
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2013, 02:57 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Welcome old_coastie! You picked a great plane to have fun with. And a great company to buy from!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 26, 2013, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the kind words.
Glad you are having a blast. If you need more for the Grandkids just let us know. Always good to hear about the fun everyone is having.
Barb & Greg
Aug 03, 2013, 03:01 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Tuff Cub Mod and Bling

Greetings All,

Having just completed a McFoamy build for my son, and after having such a blast watching him maiden it, I was feeling a little left out when it came to the whole 3D thing. I got to thinking if there was anything that I could do to make the Tuff Cub a little more 3D'ish.....

Please say hello to the Tuff Cub 2.2D (Can't even begin to call it 3D but the mod definitely taught the TC a few new tricks......

I have gradually been adding elevator "authority" to the Tuff Cub since the beginning of the build. First by moving the control rods ends for max deflection, then extending the elevator servo arm for even more travel. Last night I found this piece of depron laying around from the Mako build, and I got to thinking, you know that looks alot like an elevator control surface. I cut the "scrap" piece in half and it lined up perfectly with the TC's existing elevator (much be karma), anyway a couple of pieces of scotch tape later and "presto chango" elevator authority out the wazooo!!!!!

Weather was perfect this morning so grabbed a couple of batt packs and headed for my favorite field. I really think this is gonna be a good mod, don't get me wrong the Tuff Cub is an incredible "foamy" and a hoot to fly in it's stock configuration, BUT part of what has gotten me hooked on this hobby is the urge to "modify". The only plane in my air wing that hasn't been modified yet is my 42" T-28 Trojan which is still waiting for it's maiden flight due to the need for a "real" model airplane field in order for her to stretch her leg's......

Any way back to the elevator mod test flight, I really, really liked having the extra elevator input that the mod made possible, the only draw back that I noted was a loss of some high speed stability, but that was at 100% throttle, flying Greg's creations in WOT mode is like slamming the gas pedal down on a 70's era pony car and saying "here hold my beer and I will show you just what this puppy can do....."

Anyway loved the way that the plane handled at slow speed, starting to explore all the fun you can have with high alpha flight...

Was so tickeled by the results that i decided that the Tuff Cub had earned her stripes so to speak, and it was time to dress her up. Since i was in the middle of re-building my Mako and as part of the rebuild I was painting the tips of the main fuse and sponsons, i though how about a nice touch or two of red and some black trim against the white background.....

Anyway thought that she turned out pretty nice....

BTW that's white reflective sign tape on top of wing surface (White on Red) and Red reflective sign tape on bottom of wing surface (Red on White). Comes in a pack of two white two red strips at Lowe's for a couple of bucks
Aug 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Outstanding........
Aug 18, 2013, 06:15 AM
Keep it simple, Keep it light!
Yes! very nice job TMAC, cant wait to see it fly in the dark
Aug 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
God is Good
West Michigan Park Flyers Tuff Cub (2 min 15 sec)
Aug 18, 2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123
Here is my new Cub with the aurora lights!
Looks great T - can't wait to see her fly this week-end
Barb
Aug 18, 2013, 09:05 PM
"Some do, some don't"

So Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123
Here is my new Cub with the aurora lights!
The only thing more awesome than the looks of the plane are the skills of the pilot,

WOW!!!!!

OK ailerons are definitely going on the shopping list....

Now if I could just clone TMAC4123's thumbs....

Seriously, beautiful flying.
Aug 18, 2013, 09:08 PM
"Some do, some don't"

A Great Weekend for Flying

Going to try this again.....

Maybe I was rushing YouTube?????

Just some on-board video from the Tuff Cub

Tuff Cub On Board Video Forward (6 min 52 sec)

Tuff Cub On Board Video Aft (4 min 13 sec)
Last edited by old_coastie; Aug 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Not sure why vids didn't load going to try again..
Aug 19, 2013, 04:29 PM
God is Good
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
Going to try this again.....

Maybe I was rushing YouTube?????

Just some on-board video from the Tuff Cub

http://youtu.be/g4UC-7y77zc

http://youtu.be/sFI6q2Wdl4Q

Looks good!!!! Ailerons on the cub are fun but they have no use at slow speeds
Aug 19, 2013, 11:16 PM
Great place to fly - looks like a good day for flying too.
Thanks for sharing your fun guys
Barb
Aug 27, 2013, 06:02 PM
"Some do, some don't"

The Fun Factor Multiplies

First of all I apologize to Greg and Barb and the designer of the Tuff Cub (Aircontrol ?) for the liberties that I have taken with their most excellent plane. I just can't seem to keep my self from making changes to just about every plane I own. Is this a "noob" thing? Does it pass?

Anyway here are a couple of hat cam vids, mods are pretty obvious...

WMPF Tuff Cub On Board Video (3 min 28 sec)

Morning Flight Northern Mich (3 min 53 sec)

Tuff Cub flying High and dropping Low (3 min 12 sec)

old_coastie
Aug 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
God is Good
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
First of all I apologize to Greg and Barb and the designer of the Tuff Cub (Aircontrol ?) for the liberties that I have taken with their most excellent plane. I just can't seem to keep my self from making changes to just about every plane I own. Is this a "noob" thing? Does it pass?

Anyway here are a couple of hat cam vids, mods are pretty obvious...

http://youtu.be/gYXGLsUpJMk

http://youtu.be/SDuF_ISogco

http://youtu.be/cQRVgB6Agjc

old_coastie

Lol I always change something in any plane that I get(: