Jul 08, 2013, 06:30 PM
Keep it simple, Keep it light!
Discussion

West Michigan Park Flyers Tuff Cub

The Tuff Cub is a 3 channel, EPP foam beginner - trainer plane. The wing is a KFm2 airfoil with dihedral tips.

The Tuff Cub came about after having a need for a indoor trainer plane. It had to be easy to fly and very durable! What I didn't expect was how well it would fly outside, even in a 10 to 15 mph wind.

Specifications:
- Wing span – 32”
- Length – 25”
- Wing area 256 sq in
- Weight - (without battery) 5 oz (with battery) 6 to 7 oz
- Center of gravity is 2 1/2” from front edge of wing.
- Motor: c2403 – 2100 KV
- Prop: 8x4DD or 7x3.5DD
- Battery: 460 mah to 800 mah 7.4 V
- Speed Control: 6 Amp
- 5 gram servos, 2 total

Kits are available at
http://www.wmparkflyers.com/tuff-p-8...7b76b62f6419c1

Detailed PDF construction guide is at the bottom of post #2.
Scratch build plans are posted further down by WMParkFlyer.

Tuff-Cub, indoors (3 min 51 sec)
Tuff-Cub, outdoors (2 min 50 sec)
Last edited by aircontrol; Dec 18, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2013, 06:30 PM

Tuff Cub build info.

Detailed construction guide is at the bottom of this post.
Here are some build videos, and pictures. I prefer the White Gorilla Glue to laminate the wing halves together, because it expands and fills gaps. but Foam Tac will also work. Allow the Gorilla Glue to cure at least half an hour before continuing build.

TUFF CUB WING BUILD (9 min 0 sec)

TUFF CUB BUILD (7 min 49 sec)
Last edited by aircontrol; Dec 17, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Jul 08, 2013, 06:31 PM
Ailerons can be added for fun but are not needed, here are the dimensions I made mine to.

Last edited by aircontrol; May 31, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Jul 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
Plans are available in letter tile format as well as full scale
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Jul 08, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Jul 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
KITS INCLUDING EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE ELECTRONICS ARE AVAILABLE FROM WMPARKFLYERS.COM

http://www.wmparkflyers.com/tuff-p-82.html
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Jul 08, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Jul 09, 2013, 05:15 AM
jclassic1
Great,you can never have too many cubs.This one seems to work very well.
I might build one in depron with a flat wing and ailerons,may even make a narrow full fuse to hide the electrics.It flies very well outdoors considering the light weight.
My one will probably end up around 10-12ozs.

I will post pictures once I start the build.

John
Jul 09, 2013, 04:44 PM
When pigs fly rc
Looks like another great plane from WMPF!!!
May be perfect for my daughter.
Jul 15, 2013, 02:47 PM
Caster Of Pods
I got the first production kit!

I'm going to make a very light night flyer with mine.
Jul 15, 2013, 07:35 PM
God is Good
Probably the best plane ever to kick back and fly!!!!!!!!!
Jul 16, 2013, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-man View Post
I got the first production kit!

I'm going to make a very light night flyer with mine.
Good Idea! Hope you can post some pictures or a video.
Jul 20, 2013, 10:13 PM
Caster Of Pods
All done! If you take away the time I spent waiting for glue (Foam-Tac) and paint to dry, I've only got about 4 hours in this build. Not too bad! The plane comes out at 6.7 ounces with a 2s450 battery - again, not too bad. I'm planning to toss it in the air tomorrow after church!

I expect the reason for the extra weight on mine is because I am using a different motor than the one suggested on the WMP site. I opted for a hot little wind that weighs about 21 grams - so hot, in fact, that I will be starting with a 7035 prop instead of an 8040.
Jul 21, 2013, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-man View Post
All done! If you take away the time I spent waiting for glue (Foam-Tac) and paint to dry, I've only got about 4 hours in this build. Not too bad! The plane comes out at 6.7 ounces with a 2s450 battery - again, not too bad. I'm planning to toss it in the air tomorrow after church!

I expect the reason for the extra weight on mine is because I am using a different motor than the one suggested on the WMP site. I opted for a hot little wind that weighs about 21 grams - so hot, in fact, that I will be starting with a 7035 prop instead of an 8040.
Awesome build and paint scheme!

John.
Jul 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
Caster Of Pods
The plain has been successfully maidened! It flies just as I thought it would and NO TRIMS were required. I really think that this is a plane I can recommend to newbs as a decent starting point. With the rates dialed down to something more manageable (yep, I had WAY too much throw set up for the first flight. LoL), I think I could hand this off to just about anyone. Being that it's an EPP plane, you know it will handle the type of abuse that a novice can dish out, too.

I'll be talking a bit about this project on tonight's podcast that we also LIVE STREAM, so feel free to drop in! Podcast site is http://www.TheCrashCast.com LIVE STREAM Site is http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/126280 - We start around 8pm CDST on Sundays.

Thanks for a great design and another great WMP kit!!
Jul 21, 2013, 03:43 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
I'll try and make it for the live stream!

Dont forget to fill out a review on the site!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 21, 2013, 05:23 PM
Caster Of Pods
Will do! I am also going to write up something for my web page, too.