Nov 01, 2014, 12:23 AM
Thread OP
How much does your chassis weigh when ready to fly? I don't know what type battery/motor you are using but my sky surfer mod flies best weighing around 439g. When too light the chassis is more likely to swing around.

Also if winds are blowing 5kt- 8kts I often adjust the rear lines to the top most adjustment hole. I vary the weight and angle based on the wind speed.

My max weight has been 526g. It was a scarey fast flight. Pentax Optio cam and a GPS logger.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2014, 02:30 AM
Where the [email protected] did it go?
Not sure about the weight, will check it out. But when in full throttle the prop is so offset that it actually touches the protective ring.

I use a 7.4v 1100mah Graupner battery on the Surfer. And yes, the TX actually feels/seams to be of desent quality.
Nov 01, 2014, 07:05 AM
The tattoo guy
What would make a paraplane sway back and forth.
I have one, when I fly it, it tends to sway back and forth.
(the carriage)
Nov 09, 2014, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Grease tattoo. Left and Right or back and forth?

Are you asking about a Flypg Flex? I have seen the left and right and have that issue with my Flex models.

If you are experiencing oscillation with a different model I'd like to hear which model.

Jack Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasetattoo
What would make a paraplane sway back and forth.
I have one, when I fly it, it tends to sway back and forth.
(the carriage)
Nov 09, 2014, 03:19 PM
... of course, there's the possibility that the swaying simply is pilot-induced.
Paramotors can easily suffer from pendulum-effect, i.e. if the throttle-management isn't good enough.

Give us some more details and we might be able to help you figure something out.

Happy landings :-)
Nov 10, 2014, 07:57 AM
The tattoo guy
I have a uflyrc.com paraplane.

It flew perfect when I first got it.
I crashed once, now it just sways left and right, when I fly.

I checked the lines, etc.
Everything seems to check out fine.

I can't figure it out.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
GreaseTattoo

Sorry for the delay I used to get email notice of all new post in these threads.

Any luck on fixing the swing? Could your crash have bent and offset the angle of thrust?

When you figure it out be sure to update us, I'm always interested it the RC Para-motors.

Jack Z.
San Diego CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasetattoo
I have a uflyrc.com paraplane.

It flew perfect when I first got it.
I crashed once, now it just sways left and right, when I fly.

I checked the lines, etc.
Everything seems to check out fine.

I can't figure it out.
Nov 23, 2014, 07:08 AM
The tattoo guy
Thank you, Jack..
Just to cold to fly now...

I will keep you posted.
Been working on other projects!
I fly quadcopters too!
Nov 23, 2014, 03:33 PM
Hi, I'm wanting to build an rc paramotor but I'm struggling to decide the type of canopy/wing to use.

I've got two options, the first is the hobby king 2.1m parafoil and the second is the skysurfer.

I'm wondering if anyone has built their own or used any of the canopies/wings I have?

Dave
Nov 23, 2014, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Dave you have come to the right forum, there is a lot here in the the RC Kites section.
I've purchase many and MOD'd a couple. I think I have a great Brushless MOD for the Sky Surfer Para-glider or clone to tote a GoPRO. Has worked well me.

Others have had success with the HobbyKing restring and maybe the latest Hobby King wing may be good to go.

PopaD has experience with several models also.

Browse around there is good info here.

Jack Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elecrta-fly
Hi, I'm wanting to build an rc paramotor but I'm struggling to decide the type of canopy/wing to use.

I've got two options, the first is the hobby king 2.1m parafoil and the second is the skysurfer.

I'm wondering if anyone has built their own or used any of the canopies/wings I have?

Dave
Nov 24, 2014, 08:45 AM
Treetop Flyer
Hi Dave (and Jack). Glad to see there is still some activity on this forum

Dave: I'm also in the UK. I've been flying RC for a few years (with a break for kids) but I've only just started playing with parawings. I picked up an old G-Con skysurfer with a view to using it for slow and close airborne filming. I've got a build thread going on here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2291421

With some more details. I've also picked up a second canopy which seems like it must be from one of the skysurfer clones. It is the same design but made of a silver material (maybe some sort of mylar foil) and it seems to be ever so slightly smaller, as the brace tubing for my original wing is just a bit too long to fit. Once I can pick up some more snake tubing I will make another custom center section get the second canopy in the air with my existing gondola.

I'm planning on making my own gondola, probably with a small brushless power train and some extra servos (maybe using elevon mixing) to give me a 'speed bar' function to change the wings angle of attack in flight. From what I've read this will let me flare for landing and also penetrate higher winds if it gets breezy while I'm flying.

I've got plenty of 5mm UK foamboard laying around (curse you Flite Test) so I was going to see if I couldn't make something out of that, with purpose built mounting points for a small camera as well.

I've also looked at the Hobbyking 2.1m wing and wondered if I could do anything with one of those. They're only about 12, so I may pick one up anyway and see what happens.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainJStewart
Hi Dave (and Jack). Glad to see there is still some activity on this forum

Dave: I'm also in the UK. I've been flying RC for a few years (with a break for kids) but I've only just started playing with parawings. I picked up an old G-Con skysurfer with a view to using it for slow and close airborne filming. I've got a build thread going on here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2291421

With some more details. I've also picked up a second canopy which seems like it must be from one of the skysurfer clones. It is the same design but made of a silver material (maybe some sort of mylar foil) and it seems to be ever so slightly smaller, as the brace tubing for my original wing is just a bit too long to fit. Once I can pick up some more snake tubing I will make another custom center section get the second canopy in the air with my existing gondola.

I'm planning on making my own gondola, probably with a small brushless power train and some extra servos (maybe using elevon mixing) to give me a 'speed bar' function to change the wings angle of attack in flight. From what I've read this will let me flare for landing and also penetrate higher winds if it gets breezy while I'm flying.

I've got plenty of 5mm UK foamboard laying around (curse you Flite Test) so I was going to see if I couldn't make something out of that, with purpose built mounting points for a small camera as well.

I've also looked at the Hobbyking 2.1m wing and wondered if I could do anything with one of those. They're only about 12, so I may pick one up anyway and see what happens.

Hi, I use CAD and my brother has a CNC machine so I can make a gondola vary similar to the opale paramotors, I use 5mm thick chopping boards as they machine very easy, are very strong and are also cheap!

By making it from the chopping boards it should be more or less indestructible even if dropped from a height, so it should last a long time

It will weigh more than the opale paramotor but I plan on using it with a bigger wing.

I'll keep you posted on what I build.

Dave
Nov 24, 2014, 04:51 PM
This is what I've drawn so far.

This could be cut from 6mm depron, 5mm foamalux board or 5mm chopping board.

It could also be cut from 2/3mm carbon fibre or stiff plastic.
Nov 24, 2014, 04:52 PM
Treetop Flyer
That would be great Dave.

I come from a CAD(ish) background also. 14 years in the video game industry. Mostly using 3Dstudio. I've some experience converting building models in 3DS and then turning them into real-world papercraft buildables using pepakura. I've also dabbled with sketchup when we were refurbishing and extending our current house.

What material are your chopping boards made of? Some sort of plastic, I'm assuming. Have you tried building anything in foamboard in the past? I've not done much, but it seems supprisingly strong for its weight - especially when you get to fabricting box sections or gluing several layers together. You can also reinforce it greatly by making grooves in it and gluing in sections of thin carbon fibre rod. Aside from waterproofing issues (which are not unsolvable) it seems like a very versatile material.

I would be very interested in following your experiments, and I would be happt to keep you abreast of my progress also.
Nov 24, 2014, 04:57 PM
Treetop Flyer
Oops, we've slipped out of phase slightly

That looks great Dave. I can already see how it goes together. am I right in thinking you plan on using a wing that is rigged similar to the Skysurfer one, with a pair of rear risers attached to fixed arms on the top of the gondola and the front risers attached to movable arms mounted somewhere in that row of five holes about a third down from the top? Would you have a servo for each arm an some sort of elevon mixing to allow for left, right and speed bar functions?

Quick Reply