Sep 28, 2014, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Yohoho

If you have time would sure like to hear back about your experience with the Graupner version. It's funny I have 3 Opale Models, a Flypg Flex a Chinese Clone I modified and when it comes to being able to get out and fly the beach and get photos, my Original Sky Surfer MOD is the best choice.

When the wind is blowing 8kts and gusty I can just adjust the Angle of Attack of the wing and add an extra 4 US quarters taped below an I'm good to fly.

The Sky Surfer at around 500g is a great stable flyer. The others are either to slow or unstable.

Jack Z.
San Diego CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohoho
Hello there!

New to this forum. Just wanted you guys to know that Graupner have launched the Sky surfer 2.0 ARTF recently, no need to fly chinese copys anymore!

Just ordered my self one!

Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2014, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokahuna
... I have 3 Opale Models ...
Hi Jack!

Which models are these?
I know you fly the Oxy's, but do you have any experience with Opale's 'double'-skin-foils?
I'm trying to figure out which model I should acquire next. Any chance you could help me compare Opale's Pulse 1.4, the Fox 1.5 and the Fox 1.5 GT?
I'm split between wanting a rather easy-flying-, multitask -model and the higher performance soaring and faster Fox GT... One important factor for making my choice is the foil's ability to fly well in wind.

Happy landings :-)
Last edited by Chrizz; Sep 29, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:07 PM
Where the [email protected] did it go?
Quote:
Yohoho

If you have time would sure like to hear back about your experience with the Graupner version. It's funny I have 3 Opale Models, a Flypg Flex a Chinese Clone I modified and when it comes to being able to get out and fly the beach and get photos, my Original Sky Surfer MOD is the best choice.

When the wind is blowing 8kts and gusty I can just adjust the Angle of Attack of the wing and add an extra 4 US quarters taped below an I'm good to fly.

The Sky Surfer at around 500g is a great stable flyer. The others are either to slow or unstable.

Jack Z.
San Diego CA
Sure, No problemo!

Problem is that I really havent got anything to compare with. Im new into RC, and I mean as green as they come . I started out a month ago with a small quadrocopter, witch Im still learning to fly. Bought the paraglider because I saw one then I was a boy and kind of wanted one ever since.

Can you please explain whats the difference between the Opale and the Hacker paragliders. They look kind of the same for my untrained eye

Cheers
Sep 29, 2014, 02:29 PM
1ONkar, Satnaam
Quote:
Hello there!

New to this forum. Just wanted you guys to know that Graupner have launched the Sky surfer 2.0 ARTF recently, no need to fly chinese copys anymore!

Just ordered my self one!

Cheers
Can you let me know if the wing is nylon base or plastic. I bought one from hobbyking and it was a disastrous Let me know when you have and can please post some pics..
Thanks
Satnaam
Sep 30, 2014, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1satnaam
Can you let me know if the wing is nylon base or plastic. I bought one from hobbyking and it was a disastrous Let me know when you have and can please post some pics..
Thanks
Satnaam
Hello there!

Just unpacked it. The wing is defenetly plastic. Realized that I dont have a Lipo for it so I'll have to chase one before test flying.
Last edited by Yohoho; Sep 30, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Oct 01, 2014, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Yohoho

I have seen a few of the Chinese knockoffs and have been disappointed.
I flew my original HobbyZone Sky Surfer Mod just yesterday evening it was fun flying. It has several hundred flights and is starting to show the years of wear. I'm hoping the Graupner is a quality wing, that would make a nice SkySurfer replacement.

Here's a video from one of my three flights yesterday evening. It begins with a closeup of my hand before I launch.

Cruising Over the Sand and Surf of Tourmaline Surf Park (16 min 11 sec)

Quote:
Hello there!

Just unpacked it. The wing is defenetly plastic. Realized that I dont have a Lipo for it so I'll have to chase one before test flying.
Oct 02, 2014, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Yohoho

I have seen a few of the Chinese knockoffs and have been disappointed.
I flew my original HobbyZone Sky Surfer Mod just yesterday evening it was fun flying. It has several hundred flights and is starting to show the years of wear. I'm hoping the Graupner is a quality wing, that would make a nice SkySurfer replacement.

Here's a video from one of my three flights yesterday evening. It begins with a closeup of my hand before I launch.

http://youtu.be/SJlxbhXLFxs
Dude, guess if I have an itch to try the Sky surfer after watching your video

Unfortunatly its autumn here and no flying weather. Besides im waiting for my Lipos to arrive.

Building quality seams ok, i guess, dont really have anything to compare with. Its not super quality, but for that price it seams ok. Lets se what happens when I power her up.

Any advice before the first flight?

How do you prevent the lines from getting tangled up during transport?

Cheers
Last edited by Yohoho; Oct 02, 2014 at 02:26 PM.
Oct 08, 2014, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Yohoho

Sorry for the delay I didn't catch this post until this evening.
The first lesson I learned about flying RC paramotors. NEVER crash with power on. If you are close to a crashing it is usually best to cut the throttle and just let it happen. I have used the brake option on my ESC when available. Then you know when you set power off, it will power off.

Also I made two sleeves out of card stock paper to keep the lines in while in storage or transport. It keeps the lines untangled and folded beside the packaged up wing.

I also made a foam core box to keep the wing and lines in. The wing and lines fit nice and compact within my box and the the box fits within my backpack. It keeps the wing from unnecessary compressions friction or rubbing while walking with my backpack.

Here's a old video clip. Hope it helps.

Sky Surfer Setup HD (DOH... HQ) (1 min 43 sec)

Quote:
Dude, guess if I have an itch to try the Sky surfer after watching your video

Unfortunatly its autumn here and no flying weather. Besides im waiting for my Lipos to arrive.

Building quality seams ok, i guess, dont really have anything to compare with. Its not super quality, but for that price it seams ok. Lets se what happens when I power her up.

Any advice before the first flight?

How do you prevent the lines from getting tangled up during transport?

Cheers
Oct 26, 2014, 12:09 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
What kind of cheap paragliders or paramodels are people using -- if the Skysurfer from HobbyKing is no longer available?

I looked at the French site with real 1.5m and 2.6m foils. They cost $600 for a basic kit...
Oct 26, 2014, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Thosmosis

Browse back thru this thread there is plenty here about the cheaper clones.
The new Graupner RTF Sky Surfer 2.4 might be the best choice for "Cheap" and maybe RTF.

Otherwise the ebay clones, can all be upgraded. I'd personally would avoid the Mylar wings (I bought two, both bad constuction) the Gold Rosita might be reasonable. But either of the Cheap clones would be better with a complete Radio/Brushless makeover.

All the upgrading considered, then more than cheap.

I really like Opale, Hacker, RCParaglider (USA), etc... but you have to pay for quality. Also my SkySurfer mod is faster and that is handy at the beach.

Let us know what you are up to. Always like to see what others are doing with RC paramotors etc...

Jack Z.
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
What kind of cheap paragliders or paramodels are people using -- if the Skysurfer from HobbyKing is no longer available?

I looked at the French site with real 1.5m and 2.6m foils. They cost $600 for a basic kit...
Oct 26, 2014, 07:06 PM
1ONkar, Satnaam

I bought a Graupner Sky Surfer

I ordered one from Holien and have it my hands. I also have the chines ver as well. The canopy on the Graupner is thin and should fly. The China one is made of helium ballon material and feels rough and ridged.
The weather here is Arctic weather now. Don't know when I will get a chance to fly it. Once I see it flying ok , then I will change to brushless.
I like to buy Opale, $500 bucks for Qxy 0.5 is hard to swallow. I am sure the quality is good, but bit too pricy.
Satnaam
Oct 26, 2014, 08:28 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Thosmosis

Browse back thru this thread there is plenty here about the cheaper clones.
The new Graupner RTF Sky Surfer 2.4 might be the best choice for "Cheap" and maybe RTF.

Otherwise the ebay clones, can all be upgraded. I'd personally would avoid the Mylar wings (I bought two, both bad constuction) the Gold Rosita might be reasonable. But either of the Cheap clones would be better with a complete Radio/Brushless makeover.

All the upgrading considered, then more than cheap.

I really like Opale, Hacker, RCParaglider (USA), etc... but you have to pay for quality. Also my SkySurfer mod is faster and that is handy at the beach.

Let us know what you are up to. Always like to see what others are doing with RC paramotors etc...

Jack Z.
San Diego, CA
Thanks Jack. Which of the two ebay clones are better?

I think I recognize one of your SD video locations. Looks like Hwy 52 to the coast. Met my wife there when I lived in Los Angeles.
Oct 26, 2014, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
thosmosis

I'd hope for a Graupner, settle for a Rosita, and might take a chance on the others. I've seen videos of others flying with the mylar wings HX255. I just know the two I bought were not symetrical, poor quality control. The Radios were JUNK.

I don't care about the Radio/Motor/Electronics because I would replace all that.

The Graupner might even have a reasonable radio. I'm hoping to hear some good things about the Graupner package.

PS... I'm a bit further south in Pacific Beach, Mission Bay area. north of the 8 south of 52

Jack Z.
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
Thanks Jack. Which of the two ebay clones are better?

I think I recognize one of your SD video locations. Looks like Hwy 52 to the coast. Met my wife there when I lived in Los Angeles.
Last edited by videokahuna; Oct 26, 2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Add some more chat
Oct 31, 2014, 07:04 PM
Quote:
thosmosis

I'd hope for a Graupner, settle for a Rosita, and might take a chance on the others. I've seen videos of others flying with the mylar wings HX255. I just know the two I bought were not symetrical, poor quality control. The Radios were JUNK.

I don't care about the Radio/Motor/Electronics because I would replace all that.

The Graupner might even have a reasonable radio. I'm hoping to hear some good things about the Graupner package.

PS... I'm a bit further south in Pacific Beach, Mission Bay area. north of the 8 south of 52

Jack Z.
San Diego, CA
Hi, sorry for not being around for a while. Have managed to do one test-flight with my Graupner Sky Surfer.

It flew lika a turd on a frying-pan, impossible to stear. Turns out that the motor/or prop starts to wobble when giving full throttle, just as if the propshaft would be bent. On low to medium rpm theres no problem only when giving full gas. Will have to open it up and have a look.

Ordered me a Hacker Free RTF kit instead, lets hope that this one will work better.

Quick Reply