View Poll Results: Will Pat renew his RCG+ membership for $4.95/mo?
No chance in Hades 59 79.73%
Maybe at one-tenth the price, on a good day 9 12.16%
He's warming up to the idea 3 4.05%
Boy what a deal! Sure thing! 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Jul 07, 2013, 07:02 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Poll

Chances that I will pay to renew my RCG+ membership

I post a lot, so that somehow entitled me to a free year of RCG+ membership.
So many benefits!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/rcgp...plus-sub-renew

Let's see, there's that carbon fiber skin thing... and I get to post in a special members' forum (never been there), and I won't see the Google ads (which I think my Ad Blocker blocks anyway)... all for $4.95/month! Automatic recurring charge, I don't even have to think about it!

So, will I renew?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2013, 07:51 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Pat, they certainly have a high opinion of themselves, don't they---?

If it went to my paying for it, I would dump the thing in a heartbeat---.
Jul 07, 2013, 08:18 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Cute... the renewal screen shows my 1 year (free) subscription, July 2012 to July 2013, and then a $4.95 renewal fee... you have to dive in deeper to see that it's MONTHLY not annual.
Jul 07, 2013, 08:27 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Somebody who isn't on the up-and-up is trying to make money off the readers---?

These forums simply aren't that interesting or informative that I would even consider putting up hard cash for them---.

And nowhere does it say anything about free beer---.
Jul 07, 2013, 08:37 AM
FREE BEER!
Where???? Oh I see that was yesterday. Damn missed it again...

Funny, Maritime Reporter magazine has sent me a free sub for years, and every year they send me a subscription notice that they want money.
I recycle the notice and it keeps showing up in the box.
Jul 07, 2013, 10:54 AM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
I post a lot, so that somehow entitled me to a free year of RCG+ membership.
I don't think post count had anything to do with it.
Jul 07, 2013, 10:54 AM
NW Wa
No way i would be gone in a minute
Jul 07, 2013, 11:09 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
I don't think post count had anything to do with it.
Must have been my charming smile then.
Regardless, $60 a year for the carbon fiber thing? Well, I won't reveal my own vote, but I'd say the poll is getting pretty accurate...
Jul 07, 2013, 11:19 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Yeah, no chance in hell is accurate, at least in my opinion---.
Jul 07, 2013, 11:50 AM
This thing kindís smacks of the deal where the government was looking to find some way of taxing the use of the WORLD WIDE WEB.
I always thought of the RC Groups forums were started with the same principles as mine, to pass along modeling information and comradeship amongst modelers, to increase awareness of the hobby as well as contribute to the history of the hobby.
Now it seems as though the chance to gain monetary base is raising its head over the former idealist idea of doing something to promote the hobby .
Just one old manís view as I see it.
Jul 07, 2013, 12:51 PM
A Great racket.
Jul 07, 2013, 01:29 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Don't get me wrong, I need/want/love (?!) my RCG... and I know the owner and employees have to eat and that this all ain't free... but I like the plan where I contribute priceless thoughts and photos, and they get funded by the banner ads.
Jul 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
My free "Plus" membership was removed this morning. I didn't look into it enough to know what benefit it was except that I could store 2,000 messages in my inbox. (why would I want to do that for $4.95 per month?)

Carbon fiber textures don't come free I guess.

The rest apparently still does so, no big deal-
Jul 07, 2013, 03:08 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Lets look at it this way..............

RCG is a crowd-sourced content site.

In other words WE provide the content that gets everyone to drop by and see the advertisements...

So without US providing content, no one visits and there are no eyes on advertisements and RCG starves.

So, WE pay them to provide them with content so they can make money from advertising because people come to view our content and see their advertisements.

I love modern America!
Jul 07, 2013, 03:25 PM
I haven't seen anything to suggest that RCG is going to be a "paid subscription" site. Anybody got a link to that?

I think what they are selling are "Plus" memberships for $4.95/month which gets one a larger PM box, Carbon fiber textures and other benefits (unknown to me because I am too lazy to look)...

Seems users can post content and read content as usual.

?

Quick Reply