Dec 27, 2014, 11:53 PM
Congratulations Lou, I know you've put a lot of work into that little puppy, so good to hear it flew to your expectations.

I want to go back and redo my wing servo leads so I've got just a single 4 pin per wing. I wonder whether there is a better option than 4 pin Deans? Certainly Multiplex are too bulky.

Interesting observations on the weight. Maybe the real benefit of the light pod is in balance. I've managed to avoid ballast with a 54g motor, Talon 25ESC and a 610mAh 3S pack, and allup weight of 470g
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2014, 01:05 AM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Greetings Scirocco,

Thanks. It was probably too much work but it was fun. This plane has a wide range of possibilites and it lent it self to a few mods. I seldom get a day with no winds so adding ballast was a given for me. I figured I might as well do it with structural integrity to the frame at the same time.

Those four pin connectors are great room savers. Deans makes or used to make a red and black 4 pin M/F connector. There is the MPX 6 pin but it is a bit bulky, especially for the slim fuse you have on your plane.

I used the below M/F set. I ordered from DigiKey but most any electronics shop will carry them. Just look for the same specs.

www.digikey.com

929647-03-36-ND -- header

929850-01-36-ND -- connector receptical

The above is a 36 pin strip and header. Use a small, fine tooth hobby saw to cut off the a four pin section. I never got these to break very cleanly. I use what is about 18mm heat shrink to go around it all. When soldering these, pull the pin out of the plastic; this keeps the plastic from deforming.

Back to my plane. Right now I am just so pleased with the plane. Having a maiden flight that turned out so well, with the plane in near perfect trim the first time out was a real treat. I did not want to belive it but my club mate keep saying it looked good. He was correct. I need to work on a few items like the expo and a few mixes but the overall trim came out really good. I certainly think the added work on the wing saddle and the fiberglass wrap around the fuse tang really made this possible. Into the wind with hands off the sticks, the glider just held its own.
Last edited by Lou; Dec 28, 2014 at 01:11 AM.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:18 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco

I want to go back and redo my wing servo leads so I've got just a single 4 pin per wing.
If you use a 4 pin setup like I did, but have trouble with soldering small guage wire you to the pin, can try this technique.

Strip off the insulation from the wire and place the lead into a short piece of heat shrink that is 3/64 inch diameter; let the bare wire extend from the heat shrink. Place that lead into servo type female connector and then do a crimp. You can now place the servo connector onto the pin and solder that servo end to the pin.

The purpose for the heat shrink is the smaller guage wire, 28, 30, 32 do not lend themselves well to crimping. Often the the crimp does not have a secure grip to the insulation or the crimp cuts the insulation and wire; either way causing the lead to pull from the crimp.

You can do the same if you want to go into a standard servo connector. Just add the heat shrink, crimp and insert. I usually do add some solder to the exposed bare wire after the crimp.
Last edited by Lou; Sep 04, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
Dec 28, 2014, 05:32 PM

Q12x

Look what Santa put in my sock this year?
Dec 28, 2014, 06:10 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Well then, it looks like you have been very good this year! Congratulations on getting one of these from Santa.

When you go to build this little darling, I would love to see some pictures of your process. I am quite interested to see how you arranged all the parts in the fuselage and interested in knowing the weight of the wings, etc. before you start. I am curious how close they came to the stated weight. Any idea of what motor and electronics you will be using?
Dec 28, 2014, 06:36 PM

Q12x

1 Use a string stretched thru the length of the boom and pod to align and make straight the pod and boom.
2 Drill 2holes in the elevator stand and insert carbao fiber rods in the holes. Use rubber bands to hold the elevator in place whole the epoxy sets. The wings are bolted down and are used to align the elevator.
3 Use rubber bands to hold the rudder in place while the epoxy sets aligned to the wing and elevator.
Dec 28, 2014, 07:11 PM
Wow - fast work! Took me about a week of agonising to get that far
Dec 28, 2014, 07:14 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Last edited by Lou; Dec 30, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
Jan 22, 2015, 07:48 AM

Q12 comments

Hi from the designer. Thanks for your positive comments.
To my opinion, there are few "open" items, which allow to modify the model but can be difficult during the assembly.

Probably the worst to do are the holes for the carbon pins, which keep in place the tail. I am very proud of this idea , I have never had any failure since I have been using them.
It can be solved with simple jig, made of two ply strips glued together just edge-to-edge and balsa supporters. Drill one hole, insert pin to fix the boom in position and dril the leaving 3 holes. The jig is worth to do even for single plane.
The pins also simplify the assembly.

Another difficulty can be the wing bolts. The builder can use the metric bolts, which are included, but it might be useful to use different bolts. Just make marks, drill ca 1,5 mm hole, check (and center with rat tail file if necessary) and gradually increase the diameter and check and check.

Do not hesitate to conact me at [email protected] or on FB.
Jan 22, 2015, 02:58 PM
Clever idea!

Any plans for a larger version 2.5m or bigger?
Jan 22, 2015, 05:31 PM

2.5m version

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
Clever idea!

Any plans for a larger version 2.5m or bigger?

I wish they had manufactured a larger version, however purchased a Reichard Models Cumulus 2.5m,
same same but different as the wings are balsa/film covered foam. Still yet to be built/assembled.
It appears to be a viable model for the under 2.5m section of our F5J event.

If you are considering this one - disregard the rants of a couple of the US
contributors.

Picked up a Topmodel 2.14m ASTRA as a backup (balsa/film wing) which has a shorter span but more wing area.

Both will have the cheap HK SK2836-1000 motors.

With luck will be able to go flying this year in the comps. Will you be in Canberra for the comp in Easter?
Will bring camera again for more flying shots.

regards - Alex
Jan 23, 2015, 04:04 AM
Thread OP
I'm busy building a wooden wing box for my Q12 at the moment. Similar to the cardboard box the kit came in (similar dimensions but with a compartment for tools, wing bolts, .... etc), but with a stand (that can be folded down) on the lid to hold the fuselage whilst in transit in the car.

Not usually something I make for all my models but the Q12 is such an awesome model, that I felt it deserved good protection and TLC at the field and in the workshop.
Jan 23, 2015, 04:04 AM
The male mold pod for 100" is under production, we should have the first wing soon. Be patient please, we are soooo slow
Jan 23, 2015, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horejsi
The male mold pod for 100" is under production, we should have the first wing soon. Be patient please, we are soooo slow
For quality and performance like the Q12, I'll wait
Jan 23, 2015, 07:39 AM

100" wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by horejsi
Is there any chance being able to purchase just the 100" wings and tail set?

Quick Reply