how do I connect OP FC with Frsky D8R-XP using CPPM? - RC Groups
Jul 03, 2013, 06:56 PM
Discussion

how do I connect OP FC with Frsky D8R-XP using CPPM?

I feel like I've tried just about every combination of settings, connections, power cycles etc with no luck.

I've got a 9XR with Frsky bound to a Frsky D8R-XP running the latest 27ms CPPM firmware. There appears to be no issues with the bind.

I have signal pins 3-4 jumpered to supposedly send out CPPM on ch1 of the D8R-XP.

the flight controller I'm using is a Taulabs Sparky board (half way between CC3D and Revolution basically). It is supposed to support PWM, PPM, S.BUS. DSM2, DSMX.

I have 0, VCC and RX pins on the Sparky FC connected to (-), (+) and Signal pins on ch1 of the D8R-XP. VCC is coming from the ESC's which seems to be powering everything just fine.

I cannot seem to get the D8R-XP and the Sparky FC to talk to each other. If anybody else has these two working could you walk me through how you got there.

Thanks,
CJ
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Have you connected a servo directly to the RX to see that you can control it from the TX? Some guys get messed up when it says "Make sure your TX is in PPM mode". You have to verify the bind, that you can control a servo. I use a D4FR with Sparky, I haven't tried the newer D4R-II but that works fine PPM with quanton
Jul 03, 2013, 07:53 PM
Yeah I have verified at least the pwm outputs. Its hard to know if im verifying ppm that way
Jul 03, 2013, 08:03 PM
yeah, PWM is what you want to verify. As far as generating PPM as long a ch3 and ch4 outputs are jumpered it will output PPM on ch1. As far a sparky goes are you familiar with configuring an OP type board using the Input Wizard in GCS?
Jul 03, 2013, 08:14 PM
I'm sure you noticed that there are two VCC pads on sparky 3.3 and 5v, you need the 5v
Jul 03, 2013, 08:32 PM
Would suggest you set ppm for rcvr port and save. Power cycle. Set ppm for type for all channels and save. Power cycle. Set channel numbers 3,1,2,4,5 and save. Power cycle and then do the input wizard. Not suppose to have to do that but it helps me with rx input all the time with OP/TL. Run the same setup on quanton no problem but currently have sat rx on my sparky.
Jul 03, 2013, 08:50 PM
Been through the wizard maybe 100 times now trying to get this running. Connected to 5v vcc

Been working with peabody124 and so far we have established that there is no rx activity making it to sparky gcs. Weve even tried a custom firmware with ppm on ch6. Still no luck

How do I erase and do a clean firmware install with sparky?
Jul 03, 2013, 08:50 PM
when you say "running the latest 27ms CPPM firmware" is this stock from the factory or something you flashed yourself?
Jul 03, 2013, 08:53 PM
Stock from alofthobbies.com
Jul 03, 2013, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.j.

How do I erase and do a clean firmware install with sparky?
Tools>Erase all settings
goto the Firmware tab, click "Halt", unplug USB, click "Rescue", plug in USB when prompted, scroll to the "Flight" folder select Sparky click the tlfw file and tell it to upload

reboot when done
Jul 03, 2013, 09:13 PM
I will tack solder a servo connector across my sat rx cable and see what it does with one of the 27ms flashed XP rx on the sparky. Got my curiosity up

Ok setup the Sparky with Frsky XP rx flashed with 27ms cppm code on rcvr port and saved. Reset. Set type to ppm for all 5 channels and saved. Reset. Set channel order 3,1,2,4,6 saved. Reset. Ran wizard and everything setup without hitch. Fired up micro and flew it around room couple of times without any problem. You did notice that on XP rx the signal wire goes opposite of the label. Has gotten me a couple of times.
Last edited by pug398; Jul 03, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
Jul 03, 2013, 09:48 PM
pic of the temp setup
Jul 03, 2013, 10:53 PM
So we may be starting to get somewhere now.

I did a clear all settings within the GCS. now when I try to set RcvrPort from Disable to PPM and hit save it crashes as soon as I do a power cycle. This seems to happen every time regardless of if I hit disconnect first or just powercycle while its still connected. After power cycling and rebooting the GCS the setting is still showing RcvrPort Disable. For some reason it doesn't seem to be taking....Ideas?
Jul 03, 2013, 11:04 PM
alright, looks like I can get GCS to reboot with RcvrPort showing PPM if I hit apply and then save and then powercycle but it still crashes when I do this. Followed all the rest of the steps you mentioned about setting channels to PPM saving power cycling and then setting channel numbers saving and power cycling. still no luck. Gonna try connecting this RX to my CC3D to see if there is something wrong with it.
Jul 03, 2013, 11:43 PM
Alright so I was able to verify the D8R-XP PWM outputs are working on a CC3D. However I was not able to get CPPM to do anything on the CC3D either....

Starting to think either maybe I have a bad RX or bad firmware in it or something else....this D8R-XP was bought specifically so I could connect up Sparky with Frsky. Kinda a bit at a loss here. Who here thinks I should venture over to some DSMX satelites and can this frsky cppm stuff?

Quick Reply