Thread Tools
Jul 03, 2013, 12:33 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Vapor Trails's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

New Hangar-9 SBach 342 60-size


Looking nice:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdId=HAN4215
http://www.hangar-9.com/ProdInfo/Files/HAN4215_Hi.wmv

Perhaps a bit heavy from the video
(7.5-8.5 lb AUW on a 62in frame)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2013, 01:40 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
I also thought it was rather heavy. They recommend a 6s 5000 which is usually the recommendation for lightweight 70'' 3D planes. I guess it's expected to be heavier since it can also be glow/gas powered.

Interesting but i'll need some real world reports before getting this one.
Jul 03, 2013, 02:00 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Vapor Trails's Avatar
Thread OP
By comparison, that EF 64" MXS in your avatar weighs roughly 5-6 lbs.
(I love mine!)

Should be fine for, and looks good at IMAC flying, but not so sure it would be great in other areas of extreme aerobatics and 3D.
Jul 04, 2013, 12:05 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Vapor Trails's Avatar
Thread OP
that does look aggressive Dave
Jul 04, 2013, 12:51 AM
Registered User
Cabledawg1's Avatar
$80 more than a comparable EF plane....with alum gear and a $2 cheap tailwheel...really?
Jul 04, 2013, 03:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1
$80 more than a comparable EF plane....with alum gear and a $2 cheap tailwheel...really?
beast i might still get despite weight and it being more oriented on scale aerobatics, despite the price... but sbach... i dont think so..
Jul 04, 2013, 11:04 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
I simply don't understand why people keep saying this it heavy? It has a WCL of between 8.2 and 9.3. This could even be a little light for the precision needed for IMAC. The EF plane isn't even comparable... Apple to Oranges. This is not designed to be a pure 3D plane. That said It hovered fine, did a nice blender, held KE well. So it looks like basic 3D will be fine on it. Floaty is NOT better for precision flying. Having a higher wing loading helps penetrate winds.

Here are my initial impression flaws though:
Wings are significantly different than the full scale Sbach. The chord at the tip is to long and the trailing edge isn't at the correct angle because of that.
The horizontal stab is to low on the fuse.
The vertical tail, on the full scale there is a smooth circular transition to tail from behind the canopy.
Speaking of vertical tail, the tail looks a little to tall but not long enough.

These are all nit-picky though and VERY minor. Not really problems but variances from the full scale. On it's own the model looks awesome!

-Brian
Jul 04, 2013, 11:24 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Vapor Trails's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Here are my initial impression flaws though:
Wings are significantly different than the full scale Sbach. The chord at the tip is to long and the trailing edge isn't at the correct angle because of that.
The horizontal stab is to low on the fuse.
The vertical tail, on the full scale there is a smooth circular transition to tail from behind the canopy.
Speaking of vertical tail, the tail looks a little to tall but not long enough.

These are all nit-picky though and VERY minor. Not really problems but variances from the full scale. On it's own the model looks awesome!

-Brian
All those "flaws" are moot. Nearly all scale ARF's have taken liberty to improve the flying characteristics for the models. 100% scale does not always translate to a great flying plane.

In regards to the heavy, it is simply an observation based on watching it fly and seeing the weight in the specs. It is easy to see in the video that it is heavy, but that is not to infer that is a bad thing. The weight helps putt momentum behind a number of moves; like the pop-top for example. As mentioned above, it penetrates wind as well.

Weight does come with a few sacrifices, like slow and low flying and while hangin on the prop. It might require a little more room to fly and land... I am looking forward to some more videos.

Likely I am going to jump into another giant acrobat for my next plane
Jul 04, 2013, 12:14 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
I'm going to go ahead and guess that the reason a lot of folks are saying it's heavy is because this thread is in the "3D Flying" section.

Maybe this thread is better suited for the "Scale Electric Planes" or "Sport Planes" section.

And FWIW, my 64'' EF MXS is ridiculously precise and can be flown in extremely high winds no problem. Tumbles like a madman too. Definitely doesn't feel like a kite.
Jul 04, 2013, 02:02 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman
All those "flaws" are moot. Nearly all scale ARF's have taken liberty to improve the flying characteristics for the models. 100% scale does not always translate to a great flying plane.

In regards to the heavy, it is simply an observation based on watching it fly and seeing the weight in the specs. It is easy to see in the video that it is heavy, but that is not to infer that is a bad thing. The weight helps putt momentum behind a number of moves; like the pop-top for example. As mentioned above, it penetrates wind as well.

Weight does come with a few sacrifices, like slow and low flying and while hangin on the prop. It might require a little more room to fly and land... I am looking forward to some more videos.

Likely I am going to jump into another giant acrobat for my next plane
Yeah I think flaws was the wrong word. I know almost all models have to modified a fair bit from scale to make them fly well in RC scale.

I would have liked to see the steeper angle on the trailing edge, even if they had to add or subtract a inch or two from the wing length. I think that large root chord really is what gives the Sbach its distinctive look. That and the smooth swooping transitions that the all carbon fuselage allows for.

I agree not flaws just nitpicking on looks.

In the video it didn't look heavy for a sport/scale plane. Heavy for 3D but less loaded than a lot of scale planes. It landed at a decent speed but didn't look labored or riding stall speed by any means.

Some pics of the full scale in the same livery:


-Brian
Jul 05, 2013, 11:55 PM
Registered User
tonyxwing's Avatar
What do you guys think about slapping a 20cc in this bird?
Jul 07, 2013, 02:26 PM
Plowin Dirt
deckert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxwing
What do you guys think about slapping a 20cc in this bird?
I'd say go for it! 20cc = 1.22ci
I like HH products for the most part but it looks like they went super cheap in the construction with this one & still want good money for it. I think there's better deals out there for the almost same plane. Probably worse vendor support but...

Dan
Jul 08, 2013, 06:30 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert
I'd say go for it! 20cc = 1.22ci
I like HH products for the most part but it looks like they went super cheap in the construction with this one & still want good money for it. I think there's better deals out there for the almost same plane. Probably worse vendor support but...

Dan
What makes you think they went cheap on this one?

-Brian
Jul 08, 2013, 03:04 PM
Registered User
tonyxwing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
What makes you think they went cheap on this one?

-Brian
That's what I'm wondering too. Hangar 9 usually has quality ARF's, at least that's what my experience has been like. Has anyone actually seen this plane to state it's "cheap"?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold 60" Sbach 342 LPU NW Indiana. New, never flown intheairagain Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jul 06, 2013 02:04 PM
Discussion New Hangar-9 SBach 342 60-size Vapor Trails Atlanta Area RC 1 Jul 03, 2013 12:55 PM
Sold NIB Hangar 9 P-47 60 size $250 SparkyLawnDart Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 28, 2013 10:47 AM
Sold NIB Hangar 9 P-47 60 size SparkyLawnDart Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 22, 2013 11:24 AM
Wanted HANGAR 9 P40 COWL 60 size. shader Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 31, 2013 10:54 AM