magnetic wing hold down? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Feb 03, 2004, 02:34 PM
Leave me alone!
Finally, here's my Climax models Sin-Naps. She's held on by a fuselage retainer at the leading edge and a pair of 1/2" circular magnets at the rear. The circular magnets have a piece of 1/8" ply between them. As such, the pull to remove the wing is very similar to the Hellcat or Cessna. She's also using small balsa tabs for proper wing alignment. She weighs 12 oz RTF.

In terms of maneuvers - you name it and I've probably done it with the Sin-Naps. That includes tumbles, blenders, tight loops in either direction, higher speed square loops, etc.

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2004, 02:36 PM
Leave me alone!
Quote:
Originally posted by nose_first
...martin - do you know the specs for the magnets - i have seen ratings on some of the sites for their strength (most are N35-N38 ) -- and would you do that mod for your tantrum??
Nose, I'm using the rare earth magnets from www.leevalley.com and specifically listed here. They say these strengths are done a magnet sandwiched between two pieces of steel. For the 1/4" magnet, 2.5 lbs. The 1/2" magnet is 9lbs. I really have no idea how it works with two together. Does it doubleif they're the same size? Anyway, they're strong.

In terms of the Tantrum - I can't picture how you'd use magnets to attach the wings as they're plugin and rely on the screws inside for alignment. What was your idea there?

Martin
Feb 03, 2004, 03:13 PM
Dismembered Member...
Martin: Do you have any pics of the wing and fuse apart? I'm not sure what you mean by balsa alignment tabs, and a pic would help........

On a side note, it's really handy having a Lee Valley store right here in town

Thanx,

Brad
Feb 03, 2004, 03:18 PM
i meant more - i can see using them on a plane that does some scrobatic moves - but wondering if you would trust them on a 3D type plane - something you might put through the ringer
Feb 03, 2004, 03:23 PM
and it looks like this would be the reolution for the shearing - http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=2&SID=
Feb 03, 2004, 03:26 PM
Leave me alone!
Quote:
Originally posted by arx_n_sparx
Martin: Do you have any pics of the wing and fuse apart? I'm not sure what you mean by balsa alignment tabs, and a pic would help...........
Ask and ye shall receive. Here's the Sin-Naps which has the most predominant alignment tabs. For a plane such as the Cessna or Hellcat with a leading edge dowel, only one set of tabs is needed.
Feb 03, 2004, 03:28 PM
Leave me alone!
Nose, check my post on the Sin-Naps a few replies up. It's very aerobatic.

Here's another view of the Sin-Naps wing alignment tabs.

Martin
Feb 03, 2004, 04:46 PM
Dismembered Member...
Martin: Thanx for the pics - it's what I thought you meant. However, what keeps the alignment tabs from shearing off or the fuse from having chunks taken out of the side if a cartwheel occurs? I think this is what burntkat and myself are trying to figure out. It also might be better to have the magnet flush with the top of the wing. Just my $.02 Cdn worth.

nose_first: Good find!! The high friction discs may be the answer, or at least a start to the answer. Lee Valley has some really cool stuff.

Brad
Feb 03, 2004, 04:50 PM
Dismembered Member...
Hmmm....maybe if the alignment tabs had a lower profile, and a rounded top cross-section? Thinking out loud here........
Feb 03, 2004, 05:05 PM
Leave me alone!
Quote:
Originally posted by arx_n_sparx
...However, what keeps the alignment tabs from shearing off or the fuse from having chunks taken out of the side if a cartwheel occurs?...
Nothing. In these cases, the magnet is not meant as a quick-release mechanism in the event of a crash. Instead, it's meant as easy access to get inside for battery changes.

Martin
Feb 03, 2004, 06:05 PM
Equinsu Ocha
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but , if you can get your hands on some dead hard drives (most computer repair places will be glad get dead drives off their hands) the magnets inside are second to none. In fact they may be too powerfull.
Feb 03, 2004, 06:59 PM
Jeep Geek with wings
Hmm- I've several of them laying around-- will have to check that out....
Feb 05, 2004, 02:12 PM
Leave me alone!
Here's one I forgot. This is a 17" Tiger Moth. The bottom wing has a small music wire alignment deal at the leading edge and a single 1/8 rod magnet in the wing (mating with another in the fuselage) holding up the trailing edge. The top wing and bottom wing are joined together permanently and the cabane struts only have a small wire through them as retention. Granted, I've yet to do anything majorly disruptive like aerobatics or collide with anything, but the magnet works great here.

Martin