Jul 01, 2013, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Do I know how to build a wing or do I know how to build a wing?

Had my GP Spectra up around 500' working some lift when I guess I lost bind with my DX8 and the glider took a 45 degree nose dive for mother earth. I worked those sticks hard but to no avail. At about 10' I thought I had blown off the wings then quickly realized the plane had done a very tight loop and I had regained control. I leveled the wings and just let her land about 300 yards out. When I got to the plane I saw I had greatly increased the dihedral but the wings had not sustained any damage. I cracked the ply doublers and bent the aluminum center of the dihedral brace. Do I know how to build a wing or what?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2013, 06:18 PM
Congrats on your build.

May I suggest you now apply yourself to learning how to install the radio properly as I am unable to understand just how one "loses the bind" on a model in flight?
Jul 01, 2013, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
I have had three loss of signal nose dives in the past three months. While in the dive I had no control. One caused the loss of my new Kadet Senior ARF.
If you have any thoughts I welcome the input.
Jul 01, 2013, 07:29 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
The dreaded Secktrum Lockout which I think should be changed to Knockout.

We have a few spots locally that are no fly zones as Spektrum just does not work there and causes planes to go down.

Once bound a system cannot be unbound but it can be knocked out by outside RF if the signal swamps the RX or just obliterates the whole band.

Check AntennaSearch.com to see if there are any suspect antennas in your area. Look for 1.2, 2.4 and 5.8 systems.

Good job on the joiner!
Jul 01, 2013, 08:03 PM
Yeap that's a solid built wing! But like others here I am leery about any type of lock out, I have only had trouble back when there gear was new not using a good receiver inside of a carbon fuse. Are you very sure you understand the receivers power requirements?
Jul 01, 2013, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
I sure hope I do understand the power requirements I do not want to lose any more planes. But when the plane goes into a dive and you have no control of any function I am at a loss to explain. After this latest event I tested the battery voltage and each cell was 3.89 volts. This is a glider I have flown for years and the receiver is an AR500. I did turn off the transmitter prior to going to get my plane, old habits die hard. I did not unplug the battery till I had checked the receiver and there was NO little orange light on. After unplugging then replugging everything back in the orange light was on. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary, LSF level V
Former competitor in the Masters Of Soaring
Jul 01, 2013, 10:43 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Ditch the AR500. They are know to have issues.

Send it in to Horizon and they will send back the new version. Tell them it has had a few misterous shut downs (which it has) and they will replace it.
Jul 01, 2013, 11:21 PM
Thread OP
Now that is good news. They are in the mail in the morning.
Jul 01, 2013, 11:35 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Just be sure their genuine Spektrum. Lol

Fakes aren't their problem.
Jul 01, 2013, 11:45 PM
Thread OP
If it says Horizon Hobby on the rear label, they are real?
Jul 02, 2013, 12:02 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
That I'm not sure about. The fakes that were going around when the AR500 was current looked real and I bet they did say Horizon Hobbies on them. No Honor among Thieves!

Where did you get the TX and RX? If it was from a online hobby shop or a brick and mortar shop their most likely genuine. If it was from EBay, Craigslist or the low dollar Chinese online retailers who will remain nameless their is a good chance their clones.

Either way I'd sent them in. You cannot use them knowing they are unreliable and unsafe and the worst that will happen is you'll get them back with a note saying SOL.
Jul 02, 2013, 12:14 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
I switched to Airtronics when I upgraded my transmitter because I was having loss of control problems with spektrum. I was new to the hobby at the time so I didn't have a ton of money invested in spektrum either.
Jul 02, 2013, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
I sent the DX8 in this morning since it was still under warranty.
Jul 02, 2013, 01:00 AM
Make sure that the antennae are not being blocked by any metallic objects like the ESC, motor, battery, they are free from any servo wires and that they are in 90 degree orientation to each other.

I have had my Radian with AR500 receiver at spec height multiple times and never had less than solid signal at all times.

That being said, for all my "good" sailplanes, I only use receivers that support a remote and the data logger which I use religiously in fixing the receiver placement in the airframe until there are no holds experienced at extreme range/height.

Also, never point the 2.4 Ghz antenna straight out (like they usually show in pictures), always bend the antenna at the pivot at least one "click" ... this keeps the center null cone of the antenna radiation pattern off to the side and not directly at the model when you are flying.

Most problems I have seen with 2.4 is from poor installs or where a 72 MHz RX was replaced by a 2.4 without any regard for RF shadowing.
Jul 02, 2013, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Good advice for all Tkallev.

Quick Reply