Jan 30, 2004, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Question

Sloping in San Diego

Does anyone know of a few places in the SD area that you can slope at during normal (westerly winds) and during Santa Anna conditions?

I am a newbie and I am dying for more stick time with my new Combat Wing XL (I am totally hooked). I work near the coast but the winds have been below 7 mph for over a month now (with a few days exception) and I am just looking for another spot. I really need 10+ mph sustained to keep me out of trouble.

I am also considering buying into the Weasel-Pro lifestyle but then I will also need a new TX as well but I understand that I can fly these in 4-8 mph winds without as much trouble as my XL.

Any advice anyone can add will be much appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2004, 03:35 PM
characters welcome!
Welcome to LiftZone and the Slope forum, neojeep!

There's quite a few spots that I'm sure the guys here will tell you about (try the search function too). The wind has pretty much sucked all winter but that should change pretty soon.

mw
Jan 30, 2004, 03:47 PM
I have a Weasal Pro also but I have found it just doesn't stay up in anything below 10 mph. Infact it is a real strugle to keep it flying, but maybe mine is heavier than others.

Get something like a HLG or DLG to fly in really light lift. For instance something like a Colibri or a Falco V which I am building. Run a search on both and you find out how well they fly. They in comparison cost $125 dollars for the kit vs. $330 dollars or more for a DLG.

10 mph winds my Weasal Pro flys Ok! but I have to let you know it really comes alive when it is blowing 20 mph.

Henry
Last edited by hmhoshi; Feb 02, 2004 at 12:12 AM.
Jan 30, 2004, 04:39 PM
For Westerlies there's a popular site in Carlsbad, just south of where Palomar Airport Rd meets the coast.
I occasionally fly and see other's flying above the RR Tracks at the end of Carmel Valley Road in Del Mar.

Unless you're on ch42 or 20, then I wouldn't recommend either ;-)
Jan 30, 2004, 06:11 PM
I would also like to know of an east facing site, I know Dave has one at his place in Romona, he says landings are tight.

It would be nice to find something more centralized

Bill
Jan 30, 2004, 06:19 PM
Poway, Orosco Ridge(Ramona), and Laguna.

I bet there is something around Crest, or Lake Hodges.
Jan 30, 2004, 06:25 PM
Mcgrr,

what about in the La Mesa area, I am in Del Cerro

Bill
Jan 30, 2004, 08:03 PM
Nothing that I know of. There is a hill next to Helix High, that might be good for southerly winds. Then there is the Cowles Mtn./Mission Trails area, but that is a hefty hike. I always wanted to try that little bowl on the east end of Lake Murray right on Baltimore Dr., but you'd need something light. I might try the Colibri before I move. There is also Grossmont College right on the point of the mesa overlooking El Cajon/Santee, but you'd need to check with the Campus cops first(they actually are pretty cool if you check with them first and no classes are in session). I flew my Zagi 400 over there on the 4th of July.

If you fly electric, San Carlos Rec. Center is a nice little field for that. A couple of Hitec guys fly there on weekends. They fly Helis and hotliners.
Last edited by McGrrr; Jan 30, 2004 at 08:08 PM.
Jan 30, 2004, 11:00 PM
I used to trek up Cowles Mountain almost every weekend to slope--you hike about 1/3 of the way up and about 1/4 mi south of the main path--great spot; a little like Blossom with a bunch of thermals blowing through along with with the ridge lift. A lot of fun if you don't mind a 20 minute hike.
Jan 31, 2004, 01:25 AM
What about Torrey Pines? If you haven heard of it then you are missing out. It has incredible lift and lots of room for any size plane, full scale gliders sometimes drop by and there are always hang gliders and parasailers. The wind is usually around 15-20mph. There have been issues recently that involve full scale aircraft and parasialers. The lift is so good that there is not enough room. there is also a good place to DS on one side of the cliff( it's a coastal site) and I have seen people ds'ing over there.
Jan 31, 2004, 01:46 AM
15 to 20 is very unusual for Torrey

Bill
TPG
Feb 01, 2004, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I try to get out to the Carmel Valley/Del Mar area but like everyone else know the winds have not been really good. Dibs on Ch.46. =)

I found one more spot in Poway across the street from Crosscreek Elementary school. You have to hike to the top of the hill but it looks like you can slope the West or East sides...just don't lose your plane as a lot of the area is marked out of bounds.

Thanks and I look forward to your replies.
--jp
Feb 01, 2004, 04:37 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Check this good news about GWS slope glider version price reduced in USA and stock avalible.

R/C Groups Discussion > Sailplanes > Slope > GWS Slope Glider prices REDUCED?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...55#post1781355
Jun 04, 2019, 11:41 AM

Yeah but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
I used to trek up Cowles Mountain almost every weekend to slope--you hike about 1/3 of the way up and about 1/4 mi south of the main path--great spot; a little like Blossom with a bunch of thermals blowing through along with with the ridge lift. A lot of fun if you don't mind a 20 minute hike.
High there Ward!
I was just up there and noticed a lotta signs saying all the off trail areas are off limits and “ protected habitats “ I’m very tempted to say screw that and hop the fence but wonder if it’s high risk for a fine if I do? Whatcha think?

Very glad to see you here again after a 3year pause I’m My flying ...
Jun 06, 2019, 04:09 AM
Hi Jim!

Cowles Mountain is so popular with hikers that I haven't even tried flying there for years. Poway still remains my favorite little hill.

Quick Reply