Jan 28, 2004, 10:12 PM
Hard Wired
Thread OP

Is there a best 13 oz 3D foamy for OUTSIDE?

What would you suggest? I have a flat plate 3DX/Trident foamy and it is the crappy in anything less than still conditions. Don't get me wrong. They are wonderfull flyers but any little semblance of breeze will send mine into a dive. How does the built up SX2's wing compare to the flat plate? Maybe I'm just missing something in my setup.....
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2004, 10:40 PM
RC Addict
I've flown my 36" foamtana in 10-15mph winds, and it was a little crazy, but it seemed to handle the wind fine. My foamtana with 2100mah LIPO battery weighs 11.5 oz's.
Jan 28, 2004, 11:13 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Not to insult your flying skills, but not many 13 ounce 3Ders will fly any better than a flat plate foamy like the 3DX or Trident. The trick is to learn how to fly in the wind. Does the plane literally dive with wind? I've never heard of such a thing, although you do have to be careful about flying downwind (You have a lot less airspeed than you think!)

Dan
Jan 29, 2004, 12:19 AM
TeamZiering
"Tantrum"

You can't expect any model plane to handle wind, But I've flown my tantrum in some crappy conditions. Be prepared though, Torque rolls aren't the same with a wind.

-Josh
Jan 29, 2004, 12:26 AM
If you're worried about your flying skills, think about the SX2, since it can take abuse. It's bounce-ability will help you build confidence in flying in windy conditions (my SX2 is probably my next project).

I just maidened a T3DII, which tracks like it was on rails. I'm very happy with it. FFF flat plate planes are cool and easy to build (although I haven't done one yet), but I'm inclined to say a design like the T3DII with a real airfoil perfrorms much better in windy conditions.

I think a lot of flying in 10+mph winds is just learning to fly with the wind, instead of fighting it. We live near the ocean, and I've learned to fly in the wind to maximize my flying opportunities. Mind you, I'm talking pretty consistent wind, not turbulent stuff (not too fun w/any planes).

3D planes are great, because they go where their nose is pointed. Plus they have the thrust to keep them tracking in a breeze.

Good luck,

Johnny B.
Jan 29, 2004, 02:04 AM
sal
sal
The trick 800L will fly in wind up to 10 mph and higher is smooth. The Trick 800L as a little higher wingloading and the wings are not bendy like most of the other lighter foamies. I can pick up quite a bit of speed if needed and the airplane won't fall apart. Put a little CF in the wings and you can fly full tilt with no worries.

I consider thios my favorite outside go crazy flyer.
Jan 29, 2004, 08:23 AM
40%, 5% whats the diff?
If im right one of my videos is still up. It's my dad's scratch design. The wind speed was near 25 with gusts and blowing 10 It weighed 14 ounces. www.rcsites.net/tailtouchfoo To tell you the truth practice in the wind, dont be afraid/ disconcerted to just go, find the wind direction and point the plane agianst it so your plane will just float its fun, you can do harrier rolls that literally rise verticaly. Just don't get down wind for to long and you will see that in my vid. Watch when I bring it in to land. Best of luck,
Sean
Last edited by TeamSME; Jan 29, 2004 at 08:28 AM.
Jan 29, 2004, 09:18 AM
Space Coast USA
My 3DX has no problems in winds to 10mph. Hovering is not much fun (or easy) in those conditions but anything with forward speed is OK. The question is "what is crappy" in your mind?
hoppy
Jan 29, 2004, 10:34 AM
Which way is up?
I'm flying the 40" ws 3D Vortex flat plate with auw at just under 12 oz. Winds at 5-10 turn hovering into drifting (which isn't all bad) and the plane is a little bouncy with gusts but is enough fun that I don't put the plane away until it's hitting 15 and gusty.

Jim
Jan 29, 2004, 11:23 AM
formerly khen
My biplane flies better than my mono wing planes in the wind. The beauty is that you get the wing area from 2 smaller wings, so when your in a hover you have half the wing surface exposed to the wind(assuming your wings are right over each other). But when you're doing forward flight or harriers you still have a low wing loading because you're flying on both wings. Best of both worlds IMO.
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Jan 29, 2004 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply