Jan 28, 2004, 06:10 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP

After run oil

Whats your favorite AR oil ? Marvel Mystery seems to be popular here at our field.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2004, 10:02 PM
I find that ordinary 5-30 or 10-30 car engine oil works as good or better than any of the after run oils I have used in the past. It is readily available and the price is right.
Jan 29, 2004, 03:38 PM
Mopar92,
I use pneumatic tool lub oil as an after run oil. It is best because it absorbs water that is in the glow fuels thus preventing rust.
Dick Huang
Feb 05, 2004, 09:28 PM
I heard that some pilots use WD-40 to use either for winter storage or after flight....Is this bad???
Feb 06, 2004, 07:09 AM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP
3 in1 now makes 20 weight motor oil in a small pocket size. Anybody see this stuff?
Feb 06, 2004, 08:29 AM
I am new to rc. What is after run oil and how do you use it.
Feb 06, 2004, 08:39 AM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP
After run oil is to be run through the engine after a days flying is done. Prevents corrosion and rust to bearings and surfaces inside the motor. Alcohol used to make glow fuel can and will draw some moisture. You know what moisture can do. In our race cars that run alky, we run gas through everything to prevent this. Of course that is not a good idea here.
Feb 06, 2004, 09:15 AM
Hey guys, maybe you can answer this....

I am using Morgans Cool Power 10%....I was reading on the jug that they do not recommend the use of after run oil due to their fuel already contatining rust preventative.

Whats y'alls thoughts?

A little extra oil won't hurt anything in IMHO.
Feb 06, 2004, 11:08 AM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP
Well, I don't see how anybody can make methanol that avoids water, or visa versa. If nothing else, it lubes the bottom end on my 4 strokes, which can't ever hurt.
Feb 09, 2004, 05:50 PM
Corrosion X By Far is the best after run oil!!

JW
Feb 09, 2004, 11:44 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP
where do you get this so called best stuff?
Feb 10, 2004, 05:21 PM
Mopar,

Corrision X also has a differnt name of ACF 50. Same MIL spec but just a different name.

Iam am an aircraft mechanic and i get it at work. But Iam sure that www.aircraftspruce.com, or Marine type stores should have it under the ACF-50 name. It comes in a large Aerosol can, the can goes along WAY!!!!

I have been using it for a long time, but i have recently seen it reviews in RCM about using for electrical use also!!

It is much better for engines due to its ability to creep into spots that Marvel tool oil or Transmission fluild can get to.

If you have trouble finding it, juat email me and i will see what i can do.

Planefixr1@aol.com
Feb 13, 2004, 03:05 AM

Corrosion X

I've used the stuff for years and its excellent. I use it an all kinds of things..anywhere you need to protect something or to lube it. Its used for marine applications so you should be able to get it at any well stocked boat dealer...if you can't do that heres the web site:

http://www.corrosionx.com/

you can order it online there...really great stuff
Feb 14, 2004, 04:25 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP
I found some. I like the spray stuff rather than oily bottles too. I'll give it a try. Also, the straw you can stick in the 4 stroke crankcase vent and shoot it right in for storage, and its simple. Thanks.
Feb 14, 2004, 06:20 PM
What hasn't been mentioned so far is how to shut down the engine after the last flight of the day. Because the methanol absorbs water out of the air your first step before using any after run oil is to get rid of as much of that methanol as possible from inside the engine. The best way to do this is to run at full throttle and either pinch or remove the fuel line until the engine stops. If you pinch the line then keep it pinched for a few seconds after the engine has stopped or the residual muffler pressure in the tank will only force more fuel back into the carb.

Proof that this system works comes from CL flyers whose engines HAVE to shut down like this after every flight (crashes excepted ) and rusted bearings are virtually unheard of. However, they also tend to use a lot of castor in their fuels which is an excellent rust preventative in itself.

As for the latest Morgan fuel warning, unless they've decided to use some strange rust preventative that they KNOW reacts badly with others then it shouldn't be a problem. Then again, they don't even know how to make an FAI fuel (check their specs).

Quick Reply