Jan 27, 2004, 03:16 AM
Thread OP

GWS A-10 Brushless Mod

Was fortunate to have Dave out there to take some video this past weekend. Due to the A-10's speed and the fact that Dave was using his Digital camera (no zoom) it is lost a bit during the video, but you get an idea of how it flies.

GWS A-10 Brushless Mod
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2004, 03:29 AM
Nickel what?
what kind of motors are you running? single or double speed controls?
Jan 27, 2004, 04:40 AM
go fly! no crashes!
damn thing moved to fast! i should have left the original audio in. all you heard from me was 'where is it? i lost it again. [email protected] that thing is hauling!'

the vertical roll was what got me though. whew. here's a easy pic i got of it. while it was grounded.
Jan 27, 2004, 05:14 AM
More specs please...
Jan 27, 2004, 05:52 AM
Well it certainly hauls. Does the zoom function work on that camera or what?

Nice choice of sound track too. Like he said, what are the specs. Very impressive.

Cranky
Jan 27, 2004, 08:43 AM
RJB
RJB
Very impressive! More details PLEASE!!!!

Cheers!
Jan 27, 2004, 01:54 PM
go fly! no crashes!
the camera is a sony dsc-p10. a digital camera, not a movie camera. i actually wanted a good 5MP digital camera and the movie function was a bonus for me. but it works great. the downside is that once the zoom function is set before starting, you cant change it until after you stop recording.

heh. keeping that plane in the 1.5" lcd or the .25" viewfinder is REALLY hard. hahahah. but should be able to get some great shots from our field....
Jan 27, 2004, 02:06 PM
RJB
RJB
Details of the plane PLEASE! Motors, fan, battery etc.

Cheers!
Jan 27, 2004, 02:38 PM
We don't care about the camera...We want specs of the plane
Jan 27, 2004, 02:45 PM
go fly! no crashes!
hahah we'll have to wait for flyin' hawaiian to respond. i only know the specs for my camera. heh.
Jan 27, 2004, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
Little Hint:

MEGA

More to come in a little bit as I'm on my way out the door.
Jan 27, 2004, 09:46 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Oh what a TEASE!!
Jan 27, 2004, 09:47 PM
It's the polar opposite of so many threads, which provide tons of details and no pictures!
Jan 28, 2004, 02:58 AM
Thread OP
LOL!!!

Frustrating isn't it?

Here's the recipe to my 'Hog Wild' secret sauce:

FYI, there are no EDF's in those nacelles. They're empty!!! Converted it to a pusher after having excellent results with the above pictured F-22, which has the exact setup...

Motor: Mega 16/15/5
Prop: APC 7x5E
Battery: TP 3S1P 2100mah
ESC: Phoenix 25

Instructions: cut away back of fuselage while trying to maintain zero incidence thrust angle. Sand flat if need to, then make firewall out of scrap wood and 5" epoxy to fuse only after confirming clearance of motor/mount and prop from stab. Drill hole in firewall to allow passage of wires from motor to ESC. Trial Mount Mega with following mount to firewall:Aero-naut Firewall Mount for SPEED 400 ..... $ 8.50 Aim for zero incidence. May need to adjust after maiden (i.e. if plane noses down when full throttle then motor is pointing downward--adjust with spacer (balsa). Once satisfied with motor mounting, remove motor and mount and lay one long piece of fiberglass cloth over top from leading edge of horizontal stab, over rear firewall, and underneath until at leading edge of stab again. Brush on 30" epoxy to fiberglass cloth. This is more than enough reinforcement...I have a difficult time bending it by hand.

Mount TP 3S1P in cockpit by cutting away chair and foam. I glued on a piece of balsa to the foam for added support then glued to that a piece of velcro to hold battery.

Due to the rear mounting of the Mega your CG will be tail heavy unless you make every effort to mount your receiver and esc as far forward as possible. I even had to stuff the whole clay piece into the nose, and was still a tad bit behind the recommended CG. Flew fine, though. Tip: I kept the receiver antenna inside the fuse by taping it from front to back then front again. Try to leave a space in between to prevent overlap.

No landing gear due to the inadequate prop clearance. Note that without landing gear the vertical stabs, which are fragile, make contact with the ground when landing. This will lead to damage. To allow clearance take the front landing gear black mount and wire and set in the rear somewhere under the horizontal stab where there is fiberglass for support. You'll have to drill into the set fiberglass. Bend the landing gear wire rearward so that it acts like a skid. No need for a wheel. You can't even see it in flight.

Hope that's enough info. Sorry for the 'Tease'. Was wondering if anyone would be able to tell that it's a pusher.

Regards,

-John
Jan 28, 2004, 03:04 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Ahh a pusher! Sweet..

Quick Reply