Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 26, 2004, 03:12 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...

My Bonito in for repair...(Fiberglass fuse reconstruction)

This is my first attempt at Fiberglass repair. My Bonito was lost due to a radio hit at DEAF. You can see me in the video walking across the field with its shattered remains. https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4271

I am posting this thread so others can learn from my mistakes, and to get the experts to give suggestions. If I screwed something up, oh well...I will look for a slow day at the field to maiden it again.

I debated about what to do and decided I had nothing to lose so here goes.

I am familar with the techniques used to glass boats, but there is a structural frame already there. In this case, the frame is weak and not straight so I used masking tape to get the fuse temporarily lined up...

Before...
Last edited by kepople; Jan 26, 2004 at 03:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2004, 03:16 AM
Here are my supplies. I am useing 3/4 ounce glass.

The blue cardstock I am using as a speader to wet out the fiberglass, cheap and work pretty good, plus I can make any shape I need.

See the aligned bandaged carcass in the background.
Jan 26, 2004, 03:18 AM
der glass
Jan 26, 2004, 03:23 AM
I have taped the patient down to the bench and layered one thickness of glass in the bottem. I did it 3 stripes, 1) bottem 2) left side of fuse 3) right side of fuse.

I added some CF tape to reinforce it...then poured just enough epoxy to wet out the glass. If there was a puddle left over I removed it with a towel.

For the glass mixture, I used equal parts of each adn added 1/8 total mixture alchol to thin it. With the cold temp of the shop, I had about 1 hour of pot life.
Last edited by kepople; Jan 26, 2004 at 03:46 AM.
Jan 26, 2004, 03:24 AM
Using the epoxy in the fuse already I layed up another layer of glass over the tape to sandwich it in the fuse, then let it cure over night.
Jan 26, 2004, 03:25 AM
next day, I rolled on its side and repeated the procedure. The glass goes to the rear bulkhead
Jan 26, 2004, 03:26 AM
Next day samthing, but the other side.
Jan 26, 2004, 03:30 AM
The next day the fuse is significantly stiffer than it was before. Yippee...

I beagn to work the outside cosmetics...

In a a couple places cloth was used to fill the hole, but the epoxy was mixed with microbaloons for filler and to make it sandable. You get a lifetime supply for $4. I am told you can also use baby power and it makes a pleasant smell...
Jan 26, 2004, 03:33 AM
Not one to take my time if I have an alternative I get out the big dog with 180 grit thats been on there a while. I get a real nice rough sanding. After some very close examination with a flod light, I determine what needs to be filled more, and repeat the microballoons minus the glass...
Jan 26, 2004, 03:35 AM
****Warning**** Graphic photos, parental discression is advised

Some of the damage after rough sanding...
Jan 26, 2004, 03:37 AM
Both sides of the saddle are cracked.
Jan 26, 2004, 03:38 AM
Where the fuse snapped in two...
Jan 26, 2004, 03:39 AM
Time to get to it...

I ran 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit sand paper over the whole fuse to get a good surface to paint...
Jan 26, 2004, 03:41 AM
The gaping wound, now is very smooth..

Looks like something from CSI.
Jan 26, 2004, 03:42 AM
ready for primer....

Now the big question...what kind of primer should I use?

Kirby