Jul 04, 2013, 12:52 AM
Nice looking mount, I'll use that design-I had something different and much heavier in mind, yours is better. Can't wait to get home and onto the build.

Your skill in drafting the plans is Awesome/inspiring, I'm still using 2d drafting programs and isometric views.

Cheers
Carl
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2013, 06:44 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Found a small mistake whilst building ... 3mm tail doublers were wrong ... Have modified sheet 2 on ALL variations and also added the new motor mount

No biggy, just a small mistake, you can still use the old plan just trim down the 3mm tail doubler

Lockey
Jul 04, 2013, 08:03 AM
Retired CAD guy
Thanks for the Update, Tony .

Glad that the Slick Stuff finally made it.
From the Postage stamp can you tell how long it took ?

Was it ~2 weeks ?

Anything faster was 2x to 3x that cost.
Then Again we ARE nearly on Antipodes !

L8r

Bob
Jul 04, 2013, 08:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Thanks for the Update, Tony .

Glad that the Slick Stuff finally made it.
From the Postage stamp can you tell how long it took ?

Was it ~2 weeks ?

Anything faster was 2x to 3x that cost.
Then Again we ARE nearly on Antipodes !

L8r

Bob

Post stamp was 31st May Bob, just over a month ... crazy really when you think

Now I have the Slick Stuff, .maybe I should make a start on the Aardvark after I finish the Vixen ... New plans for the F111 are almost finished

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 04, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
Jul 04, 2013, 10:59 AM
Retired CAD guy
That is nutz !
How quickly a month slips by.

Sigh ....
Jul 05, 2013, 11:58 AM
Retired CAD guy
At 18mm wide that fin could almost hold a motor mount .. um ...er .. wait ...

That was what you were attempting to replace ! :-)
Well with all the sanding it's still a nice solid almost crash proof unit.

L8r

Bob
Jul 05, 2013, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Well with all the sanding it's still a nice solid almost crash proof unit.
Takes but a few minutes to carve and sand Bob, and where else would you hide the servos?

I just think it looks better to have the 3mm skin than leaving the servos in view ... plus, I think 1 piece of 6mm Depron for a tail fin (especially one holding the horizontal stab and elevator) is too thin and too weak

Quote:
At 18mm wide that fin could almost hold a motor
Hey Bob, thats a good idea why didnt I think of that .. NOT

Lockey
Jul 05, 2013, 08:34 PM
Retired CAD guy
Good morning Tony !

:-)
Jul 05, 2013, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Good morning Tony !

:-)
Good evening Bob
Jul 07, 2013, 02:46 AM
Thread OP
Never done a EDF before, thought the Vixen might be a good testing ground ... anyone with any experience please chip in with your thoughts

Lockey
Jul 07, 2013, 03:36 AM
unconventional :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Never done a EDF before, thought the Vixen might be a good testing ground ... anyone with any experience please chip in with your thoughts

Lockey
Not specific experience but I would remove the centre fin. Someone on the polaris thread tried the same and there was too much drag with the thick fin in the narrow blast. Otherwise, looks like s pearler.
Jul 07, 2013, 04:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil
Not specific experience but I would remove the centre fin. Someone on the polaris thread tried the same and there was too much drag with the thick fin in the narrow blast. Otherwise, looks like s pearler.
Thanks Kadil but the Aqua-Jet is a very similar configuration and they leave on the fin and it flies OK, BUT you may well be right mate

Lockey
Jul 07, 2013, 05:07 AM
unconventional :-)
Wonder how thick that fin is when it is compared to a polaris where it is supporting the nacelle?Also the bigger the gap between the jet and the fin, the better. My simple hypothesis

Also intake ducts look very cool, but are they big enough?

Quick Reply