Jul 01, 2013, 05:52 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Kadil, Flying weight with a 1500 / 3 battery was 587 grams (22.7 oz) I think the Polaris comes in around that weight and its almost incidental wing size and shape

Maybe the turned down wing tips, or maybe the twin booms (or both) ... my Polar -Cat flies very similar and it has the twin booms

I am going to have to build another one real soon so I can do some more testing

By the way, if anyone is wondering what the difference is between the round top and square top (see pics below) square top would be just a little easier for the guys who are not too good at bending Depron, you could also cut off the tips of the wings and make some tip floats like the Polaris

When bending Depro, the only thing you must do (if you are bending it cold as I do) is to put some packaging tape on the outside otherwise you will just crack the Depron, the tape can be removed when the bending has been done

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 01, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2013, 06:15 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus
Yes, it really is. I suspect Lockey is one of those people who doesn't require a lot of sleep.
Umm.. I think more like a person who has many years of experience as a craftsman and small business owner who knows how to GIT-ER-DONE!

Ted
Jul 01, 2013, 09:34 PM
Thread OP
I am not an early riser, but do have more time now I am semi retired

I am also a fairly quick builder

Lockey
Jul 02, 2013, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
This is the way I put my plans together when I can’t be bothered to drive down to my local Office Works to get them printed

As I have JUST finished doing the plans for my new Vixen, I thought I would post how I do it (Lenny was talking about this on another thread)

The first pic is my printer screen, choose “poster” and you should be able to change the overlap etc, I usually leave it a zero.

I have found it easier to use a "glue stick" instead of tape to fit the pages together ... much easier, I glue all the top row, 2nd row and so on and then glue the rows together .... AND I always put a measurement grid / scale on all my plans to check to see if your plans are somewhere near the size they should be … I normally find mine is ever so slightly smaller than the measurement scale

Lockey
Jul 02, 2013, 08:02 AM
Retired CAD guy
OK, for all those wanting to build this plane,
but, not willing to print , tape, cutout ,paste and then Cut the foam.
I have the Vixen on my Products page ready for your order. :-)
http://www.hoosiercutoutservice.com/cutouts/Listing.htm

I just do a CNC foam cut out service, not full kits.
However, I do include Ply horns.
Been doing this since 2007 in my retirement as a side line.

Bob
Hoosier cutout Service
Jul 02, 2013, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Bob does a very nice job of cutting the parts, I wish I was nearer so he could cut out all my parts … only thing is … he is too darn cheap

I spent more than a couple of hours today pasting up the plans and cutting out the parts, the edges aren’t square so I have to now sand ALL the parts before I can start to put them together … wish I could get the parts cut … MUST GET ME A CNC CUTTER

Good on yea Bob, keep up the good work my friend

Lockey
Jul 02, 2013, 12:47 PM
Retired CAD guy
SO WHADAYA THINK ...

Should I raise em 10, 20 30 % :-}}}

NOT !

regardless Thanx for Comps !

Bob
Jul 03, 2013, 04:48 AM
Thread OP
Started the new (replacement) build, I think I will do this one without the twin booms to see how it flies

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 03, 2013 at 06:32 AM.
Jul 03, 2013, 05:59 AM
It was great to meet you and have a chat the other night, I will have to try and find the
time to build a Vixen it's a great design.
Cheers Kev.
Jul 03, 2013, 06:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1
It was great to meet you and have a chat the other night, I will have to try and find the
time to build a Vixen it's a great design.
Cheers Kev.
Hi Kev, good to see you here mate and yes it was great to meet up and have a chat

Pity I couldn't show you the finished product when you called in ... as its STILL UP A TREE

Oh well, new build under way and can test it without the twin booms before I fit them

Lockey
Jul 03, 2013, 11:15 AM
Going to follow this one... Looks great.
Jul 03, 2013, 06:18 PM
This design does look great! I love the Polaris as well, but thought that a pusher config simply to bring the motor closer to the esc/battery would cut down on weight (no long lead wires) and simplify construction. I'm going to start construction on a single boom version asap (within a day or 2). I'll change the motor mount a bit, I don't have and don't prefer stick mounts.

Great design and great idea though, thanks for the plans, I'll post notes when it's underway. Do you have any experience with this as a vee hull for improved water handling?
Last edited by CarlN; Jul 03, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Jul 03, 2013, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlN
This design does look great! I love the Polaris as well, but thought that a pusher config simply to bring the motor closer to the esc/battery would cut down on weight (no long lead wires) and simplify construction. I'm going to start construction on a single boom version asap (within a day or 2). I'll change the motor mount a bit, I don't have and don't prefer stick mounts.

Great design and great idea though, thanks for the plans, I'll post notes when it's underway. Do you have any experience with this as a vee hull for improved water handling?
I am just drawing up a motor mount for anyone who can't get or doesn't want to use a stick mount

Polaris doesn't seem to have much trouble on the water, but it wouldn't be difficult to add a "V" hull if wanted

Look forward to seeing your build Carl

Lockey
Jul 03, 2013, 10:35 PM
Thread OP
For anyone who doesn't want to use a stick mount, here is a ply mount

Parts on PDF ... Alternative motor mount parts

Lockey
Jul 03, 2013, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
For anyone who doesn’t want to use a stick mount, here is a ply mount

Parts on PDF on A4 .. Alternative motor mount parts

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 04, 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Quick Reply