Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 30, 2013, 08:43 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Discussion

DA-50R - no spark

I have an aerobatic airplane powered by a DA-50R. A couple of weeks ago I misjudged a landing and came down just short of the threshold in the tall grass and standing water; the plane threw up a big sheet of water as it touched down, then flipped onto its back.

Immediately afterwards I was unable to start the engine. I put that down to a wet spark plug boot. However, I am still unable to start the engine. I've eliminated the receiver, ignition kill and switch from the equation by connecting the ignition battery (A123 6.6V 2200 mAh) directly to the 5.2V voltage regulator. With the plug out and in the cap I'm not getting any spark.

I would appreciate some advice on how to proceed.... thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2013, 02:15 PM
Problem solved.
Jul 01, 2013, 02:22 PM
Oh c'mon now!!! What was it????
Inquiring minds want to know
Pete
Jul 01, 2013, 05:34 PM
Oh, great - NOW someone chimes in! :P

I went down to my workshop to try a few tests. Now, according to Albert Einstein, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I, however smart, am no Einstein, so I started by repeating the spark test I did at the field yesterday. In my defense it is darker in the shop with the lights off, so it wasn't like I was doing the EXACT same thing over and over again.

It sparked! It sparked with the plug against the block, it sparked with the plug not against the block, and it sparked when I reconnected the physical switch and the ignition kill. And when I took it outside, trying not to raise my hopes too high, it started!

I'm happy and have visions of dollar bills floating back into my wallet, but I'm also a little confused. Of course, this isn't the first time I've used the ol' take-it-apart and put-it-back-together approach to something that wouldn't go, and it's not the first time that approach has worked. But I welcome your theories as to why it works now and didn't work yesterday.
Jul 01, 2013, 05:52 PM
My bet is that there was moisture in the plug cap, and it finally evaporated
Cheers,
Pete

Quick Reply