Dec 11, 2013, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
I agree on the instructions for the wing tubes, if we can use that term so loosely. Not to mention the lining of two came out when I tried to extract the tubes the first time I mated the wings up. I had some technical difficulties loading the pictures last night so maybe this time I got it right.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2013, 07:24 AM
Thread OP

Mods

Well, I forgot to mention I did have to cut open the center section to allow access to the inside so I could get the hardware in. Other than that it I had little to change.
Mar 07, 2014, 07:22 AM
Thread OP

Motored up and ready to rip

Finally got the motor on and cowling too. 90% complete.
Mar 08, 2014, 07:23 AM
Thread OP

Wrap-up weekend

I think this will be a wrap of the build this weekend. Of course I'll end up making many more changes to the fit, finish and realism after she flies but I'm finally finished with the initial build. An ARF that took me longer than anything to date. But she's as beautiful as she is big.
Mar 08, 2014, 07:30 AM
Thread OP

Wrap-up weekend

I think this will be a wrap of the build this weekend. Of course I'll end up making many more changes to the fit, finish and realism after she flies but I'm finally finished with the initial build. An ARF that took me longer than anything to date. But she's as beautiful as she is big.
Mar 08, 2014, 10:33 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Good to see someone making progress. I haven't touched mine in months other than to move it to a new house Thanksgiving weekend. The workbench is parked in the shed until the weather breaks long enough here to attempt to move it into the basement w/o making a huge mess. The assembled fuselage is parked in the living room
Mar 08, 2014, 06:48 PM
Thread OP

Wire setup

I'm going to assemble it completely tomorrow and when I get it setup I'll take pictures of the wire and turn buckles that we talked about months ago. I too ended up using the stock motor mount but I'm going to paint the engine area olive drab. I have many ideas and changes I want to make all centering on scale accuracy so I'll work on this for months. But I need to fly it sooner than later.
May 03, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thread OP

Wing wires & really finished

I have some pictures of my wing rigging, that I am frustrated that I had to "engineer" on my own when I feel at the price of this kit Maxford USA should have used far better hardware than the minimalist, almost unusable hardware they provided. I don't have many complaints about Maxford but this one was a real pain to rework.

Maiden? Two situations, I've been flying on private land for a decade but a death in the family rendered my flying space sold and already being developed so I am going to join a club. The club I intended to join has a crowd that seems to be in two groups with too many big personalities that make me wonder if it's a good fit for me. So I have to first figure if I'm willing to deal with the mouthy guys at one club or drive two plus hours to the club that appeals to me. Which is also under the gun from locals who would like to close it. So I'm actually thinking of driving to Americus Ga. to maiden it as a guest. The field where SEFF is held in April. I am ready to fly it as is with only scale and hot rod mods to make.

One thing I'm going to change are those hideous struts, I've already made one out of wood and shaped like those on the full scale mothies. I'll have to fabricate little aluminum tabs to screw to the wing and struts. Not a big thing but I know it'll take an extended time frame that all of this build has.
May 03, 2014, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
I also fabricated a battery tray slung under the motor mount. I looked at all options and having them internally was still too much tail weight. While I haven't balanced her yet I have with batteries inside the provided area and it was obvious I would have to shift a lot of weight to make that work and with two 6S s I thought it better to be as far forward as possible. While aluminum I did coat the inside with a rubber coating and will also use thin foam to pad the batteries a bit. A strap around the front to secure them and it should be good to go.
May 17, 2014, 05:55 AM
Just Plane Nuts
Hey guys - I just purchased a TM at Joe Nall. It is complete and in pretty good shape with a DLE55, but since I fly electric, it will be converted to use a Hacker A60-18L or similar motor. I can see that there will be some work involved to make the battery tray and figure out how to get it in and out, but it looks possible.

Has anyone finished and flown an electric version yet ? I am guessing at least 2000 watts will be needed to get this draggy airframe to fly, given a weight of about 22 lbs.

What is the status of these builds ? Surely Spring must have come to MI by now
May 22, 2014, 05:09 PM
Thread OP

Electric Tiiger Moth

I have not flown it yet but I plan to now that school is out and I have free time. I have taxied it ad I can tell I'm over powered but that is what I want. I don't want to get in a situation where a little more power would have saved it. I saw another guy on another sight talking about forgoing the wing wires to save setup time but when I installed mine I couldn't believe how much more ridged they made it. Setup time will be a killer on this one. I am also going to change the struts to go more scale.

As far as an E conversion it should be simple. I bought mine with E as the plan all along so it should be fairly straight forward. lots of room inside with more than one way in. I chose to put my batteries up front and it balances perfect now. Good luck and I'll write as soon as I fly.
May 23, 2014, 06:06 AM
Just Plane Nuts
OK, some action of the electric front ! I have one gas flight on mine and have a feel as to how it flies. I plan to fly it again today with gas and start looking into the battery tray options. I don't want to remove the cowl to install the packs if I can avoid it.

As far as taking it to the field and setup, I have the wing halves together with a ply plate spacing them at the root. So this prevents any damage to the N strut, the wires never get disconnected, and each side is ready to slide on the tubes. Actually, you install the tubes in the right half, slide them into the fuse, then install the left half onto the tubes. I'll post pix if there is interest.

Can you list your motor (what size Rimfire), ESC, prop, watts and current measured ? Looks like 10S5000 ?
May 23, 2014, 06:09 AM
Just Plane Nuts
Oops, found your motor details. Have you measured the current and power ?
May 24, 2014, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Not measured current and power as of yet. As soon as I do I'll post it.

I had the same worries about the cowl off for batteries but I ended up mounting it with big rare earth magnets so it's just a matter of taking the prop off and it slips off. I made stops on three sides to keep it from shifting. I've never had a better set up for a owl and plan to retro this setup on all my planes.

Your wing setup sounds interesting. Unfortunately the liner in two of my wings tube holes have stuck on the tubes and were pulled out so they are not snug around the tubes. That is why I have my lower wing setup as I do. In the long run it makes it easier to mate with less chance of pushing too hard and damaging anything. Another reason I want to change the struts to wooden ones that look more scale is so I can leave them and the wires on and collapse each side in the same way my little Jenny, also by Maxford, does.

I am building two aluminum boxes for transport so I can have each wing half set in one box and fuse with under carriage on in another box with wheels on one end to drag them around.
Jun 24, 2014, 09:52 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
Here it is!!

You just didn't go back far enough,,
Last post was -- May 24, 2014, 09:02 AM

And doing a search helps.

Quick Reply