Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 29, 2013, 09:31 PM
Discussion

3.5ch infrared micro heli review

Hello everybody

In this thread, im going to review the 3.5ch infrared RC Microheli, from tmart.com

First, I have to mention that the price is amazing! for $19.99 with free shipping (you choose your warehouse, they ship from China and United States). Mine came from the US warehouse, and take less than 2 weeks to arrive to Ecuador, in South America.

When it arrives, the first thing I notice is that the shipment was very carefuly packed. Double layer of bubble wrap (with bigger bubbles in the outside layer)

When I opened the wrapping, I was amazed with the box. The quality of the presentation box is excellent, nothing like the cardboardbox you expect from a $20 heli. The clear case includes the heli (locked with a plastic base), the remote control unit, and a USB charger cable, inside a seecret door in the bottom of the enclosure.

The plastic bag that contains the USB charger cable, also contains a spare rear propeller

The remote control requires 6 AA batteries, and there is an heli charger cable in the right side of the remote. The transmitter uses IR light to transmit signals to the heli, thats one of the main issues when trying to fly outdoor.

The heli is very well constructed. The frame is made of aluminium, and it includes the battery inside. Its a 150mah battery, Its an amazing piece of hardware.

The electronics inside contains the IR receiver, the battery charger circuit, 3 speed controllers, and 1 gyro. Having a gyro in an helicopter this size, really helps a lot, making flying so easy for starter ones

Time to fly!

Using the USB charging cable, the heli gets charged in arround 10 mins. You need to notice that the USB cable has a led light inside the connector, that lights up when the charge is ready,or nothing is connected.When you plug in the cable to the charging port of the heli, that led goes off until is fully charged. My first tought that was the charger wasnt working, but it charges fine.

Before fly, you need to power on the heli and the transmitter. There is a signal led in the back of the heli that blink until the unit is bound with the transmitter. It takes arround 20 secs to bind, and also, in the TX, there is a channel selector. From what I see, there are 3 different channels, so you can fly with 2 more friends using the same heli model.

To control the heli, you have 3 channels on the TX: throtle on the left stick and rudder and elevator on the right one. The controls are proportional, but the rudder and elevator are not so responsive. This is good for begginners because it allows to make smooth movements to control the heli

How it flies? Well, its amazingly stable! hovers "hands off", I cant belive it! As I sid before, the controls have very slow response so dont expect to do some crazy acrobatics. For the first flights I recommend to apply short stick movements, until you get comfortable with the flight. When you get used to the heli response, you can try more faster movements

How durable is a $20 heli? You have no idea!!! Im not an expert heli pilot (I came from cars and planes), and I smashed the little heli a lot! and nothing happen. The heli blades and the flybar are made from a very flexible plastic, so it can handle bad landings and wall crashes

To resume:

Pros:
Price (for $20 you cant be wrong), free shipping
Nice package, will make an awesome gift for everybody
Heli almost ready to fly
Very easy to fly, because of the gyro help (hands free flight)
Charge from remote or USB charger
Flight times arround 5 mins, and 10 mins charge time with USB cable
Small size, ideal for home or office

Cons:
Need to supply 6 AAA batteries.... may be a candidate for a lipo transform
2 weeks delivery time, for outside USA shipping
IR remote, can catch easily interference
Short range remote (arroung 5 meters max.)
Almost imposible to fly outdoors

I can recommend this heli 100% for anybody interested in start with helis, Itīs a very good starter heli, and better fly and crash a $20 heli, than a $400 450 size heli (belive me, it happens ). I havent searched about spare parts, but you can buy 2 or more for spare

You can get this heli from this url http://bit.ly/139h0ZJ You wont regret
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2013, 10:37 PM
Here is a video of the micro heli in action! So much fun

Pruebas del microhelicoptero IR de 3 canales (3 min 8 sec)
Jun 29, 2013, 11:22 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
That's a very nicely done review.

You will find more interest on the coaxial forum here.

A 3ch coaxial prepares you for a 450 like riding a bicycle prepares you for a Hayabusa.

regards . . . g
Jun 29, 2013, 11:24 PM
Wrong section, go to co-ax.
Jun 29, 2013, 11:35 PM
No problem. I Will move the post to the coaxial thread tomorrow. Thanks for the tip
Jun 30, 2013, 03:51 PM
moved to https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1923124
Jun 30, 2013, 04:23 PM
great review, this is the kind of thing people want to see rather than hyped up ones that you often see by marketing.

That does look like quite a well built heli, im not a fan of anything other than 4ch now that i stepped up from a 2ch coaxial to a 4ch v911 but this is the kind of thing people should be seeing if they want something good rather than alot of the crap you see being sold.
Jun 30, 2013, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I was surprised with the quality of this toy, Its a must-have in your fleet. And I think I will practice a lot with this until I get a v911 micro one
Jul 01, 2013, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patolin View Post
Yeah, I was surprised with the quality of this toy, Its a must-have in your fleet. And I think I will practice a lot with this until I get a v911 micro one
Watch out for the rudder being on the left hand stick, thats the only problem with 2 and 3 ch helis is having the rudder on the right stick.

Accidentally trying to to use right stick for rudder results in the heli shooting of to the side and into a wall usually.
Jul 01, 2013, 08:05 AM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
Quote:
I recommend newbies go to a V911 right away. Bypass the 3 channel because they fly differently from a 4 channel. Limit your time on a V911 to 2 weeks, then go to a 6 channel.
Jul 01, 2013, 08:16 AM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
I recommend newbies go to a V911 right away. Bypass the 3 channel because they fly differently from a 4 channel. Limit your time on a V911 to 2 weeks, then go to a 6 channel.
100% agree.... if your intent is to learn how to fly. They don't teach you anything useful, except for getting you used to spending money.
Jul 01, 2013, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
100% agree.... if your intent is to learn how to fly. They don't teach you anything useful, except for getting you used to spending money.
I think that this 3 channel heli may help to get used with the orientation of the heli, and yes, the next step will be a 4 channel heli, like the v911
Jul 01, 2013, 08:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
I think that this 3 channel heli may help to get used with the orientation of the heli
No it doesn't. First of all, the channel assignments are different, which really screws you up. But more importantly, it has no aileron function, so it can't roll or slide right or left. That's 90% of what you have to learn to handle, when you change orientation. If you had posted this in the coaxial forum, you wouldn't have got any arguments. But here, it's more about teaching people.
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 01, 2013 at 08:34 AM.
Jul 01, 2013, 08:34 AM
Its the same with planes. You start with 3ch airplanes where the rudder is on the aileron channel. When you get used to the flight characteristics of the plane, you can switch to 4 channels. For me worked that way
Jul 01, 2013, 10:15 AM
Scotland
Quote:
Its the same with planes. You start with 3ch airplanes where the rudder is on the aileron channel. When you get used to the flight characteristics of the plane, you can switch to 4 channels. For me worked that way
Nope, not the same at all.
I have pretty much pulled all the 3 channel heli's in my house apart to make sure nobody ever flies them ever again.
Even my 5 year old now flies a V911. The bad habits they teach you are horrible, and a V911 flies by iteself anyway. Skip the toys and leave them to the kids that will go no further in this hobby Im afraid. Get a V911 and fly it for a few days/weeks/months until you are ready to step up.