Jun 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

lil Yak-15

Started a small Yak-15, plans from RCM years ago. It was rudder only and tissue covered. Mine will be more built and sheeted, figuring that fans, batteries, etc have become much better now. I've got the wing almost completed, all the fuse formers are cut but no lightening holes as yet, tail feathers cut out. I got the rest of equipment, servos, ESC, etc waiting for 50mm Mad Torque fan to arrive.
Claims 650 grams of thrust, we'll see if it's enuf. I've also got a WM300 I can try.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2013, 09:15 AM

Nice. First time I think i've seen someone use balsa for a scratch built EDF.
Jul 03, 2013, 06:38 PM
Thread OP
Use it all the time..well at least twice, here's the two
Jul 03, 2013, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver
Started a small Yak-15, plans from RCM years ago. It was rudder only and tissue covered. Mine will be more built and sheeted, figuring that fans, batteries, etc have become much better now. I've got the wing almost completed, all the fuse formers are cut but no lightening holes as yet, tail feathers cut out. I got the rest of equipment, servos, ESC, etc waiting for 50mm Mad Torque fan to arrive.
Claims 650 grams of thrust, we'll see if it's enuf. I've also got a WM300 I can try.
I remember when that issue came out
I was building freeflight EDFs back then because the radio gear, batteries, and fans didnt lend themselves to full on RC. If I recall the Yak-15 used a Cox "Failsafe" unit that gave rudder only control. I thought it was really cool at the time but couldnt shell out for the unit, so I built mine straight freeflight. I also recall it was powered by a "Hi-Line" fan unit, which is what I put in mine
back in those days "Hi-Line" had the "Blue Flame Blaster" with a 30watt motor, and the "Red Flame Blaster" with a 50watt motor, they flew several of my earliest experiments quite well.
the big drawback was that the airframe had to be built so light to carry the Ni-Cads/fan/switch/wiring that it didnt take but one bad launch or landing to do them in.
when I saw this thread I had to smile, it was a very good design that will benefit greatly from the new technologies

Joe
Jul 06, 2013, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
sloperjoe,
I really didn't notice at first that it was a rudder-only plane. But, I'm hoping that I'll be able to build it light and strong enough to survive some mishaps. Didn't realize those fans were so weak but the batteries must have weighed the plane down, hence
the tissue covering, etc. Well, I fixing the Microwave, I got disoriented and it went in but it's done now, so I can get back on the Yak. My 50mm fan came in yesterday so I;m gonna run it up to see if it's enuf power. Til then.....
Jul 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Quick little update, couple of pics of work on the Yak-15. I got the 50mm fan and ran it up but now I'm thinking it may not be enough. It sounds good tho', the 10 blade fan sounds so much cooler.
Jul 16, 2013, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
Few more pictures of the progress on the Yak. I'm guessing that I'll probably use the 60mm fan, basing that on the total weight
Jul 24, 2013, 11:10 AM
Thread OP

Yak-15

More pictures of Yak-15. Work slowed because I started another project, foam sport jet.
Jul 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
Use your imagination....
Nice project..

This is my Yak-23 Flora project ws: 2.5m

Cem
Last edited by czirh; Jul 24, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Jul 24, 2013, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Cem, that's a great looking model. Quite large also, 2.5m = 98", mine will be about 38" slightly less than 1m if I'm right. I could make 2, 2.5 planes outta that one you have. It looks great and sure will fly great. This is what I like about this hobby, something for everyone. Large, small scale or just something to have fun with. It looks like you have a little ways to go before maiden, when can we except that to happen? Post something when you do.
Jul 25, 2013, 01:16 AM
Use your imagination....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver
Cem, that's a great looking model. Quite large also, 2.5m = 98", mine will be about 38" slightly less than 1m if I'm right. I could make 2, 2.5 planes outta that one you have. It looks great and sure will fly great. This is what I like about this hobby, something for everyone. Large, small scale or just something to have fun with. It looks like you have a little ways to go before maiden, when can we except that to happen? Post something when you do.
Thank you I shall definetely post.
Cem
Jul 26, 2013, 09:45 PM
MAP
MAP
335 your model looks great. I have not been to RCG in a long time, I googled YAK-15 and this came up.
I built a 1/6 scale model of the YAK and I now have 31 flights on it, it is a great flyer.
I don't want to hijack your thread so I will leave it a that.

John
Jul 26, 2013, 09:57 PM
Not only do I remember that issue, I still have it. I did build it with a single channel. First flight was superb. That was the only complete flight. The next one trashed it.

I actually think I'd like to build another, and I'd still do it the same way (light and covered with Monocote). But I would have to make it three channel. No problem with small servos and light receiver.

It is an awesome model with an awesome history. I'd love to see someone do a manned replica. That'd be something to bring to Oshkosh.
Jul 27, 2013, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
MAP, that's a great looking Yak you have there. At 1/6 scale that's a good size. One question,
what kind of power are you using electric, IC or turbine ? A friend just gave me some plans for a larger size Yak, that he built years ago for a 25 size IC DF.
Jul 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
MAP
MAP
I am using one of the first TJ100 fans, right now I am using 9S 5000mah cells. The modeled needed 4 ounces of lead in the nose so I am going to add one more cell and remove the lead. The speed is fine and plenty of power to get off of a grass field but it could use more vertical. I love flying the model but the low thrust line is some thing you need to watch out for on the take off run and also if you ever need to do a go around.

I do remember that RCM issue very well myself, I still have it and I spent many days day dreaming about that jet and what it would be like to have something in that size and at the same time have real jet like performance. It sure is easy now and maybe one day I will have to build me one. Unfortunately my list of models to build is much longer than what I will most likely live.

John

Quick Reply