This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 28, 2013, 11:02 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Careful!

Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt & E-Flite Retracts using Non-Amplified Y-Connector!

I have finally installed the E-Flite Retracts on my PZ P-47 Thunderbolt and they work perfect! Without the STOCK Y-Connector "Amplified" that comes with the E-Flite Retracts! I have installed a regular Y-Connector just like I did with my PZ Spitfire Mk IX.

It is no wonder that John Redman in this following Video does NOT use the STOCK "Amplified" Y-Connector and instead used a Regular Y-Connector.

If you are all wondering and especially you have not followed my investigations within the PZ Spitfire Mk IX thread, it because the Spektrum Receiver Manual states that you can not use any "Amplified" Y-Connectors!!!

Please consider to read up at this Blog Post:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1915009

My bug is that no where within the E-Flite Retracts "nor" the PZ P-47 Thunderbolt Manual states this.....

HorizonHobby.com How To - ParkZone P-47D Retract Installation (14 min 12 sec)

================================================== ========

Pictures showing the Retrofit of new E-Flite Retracts for my Thunderbolt.

E-Flite Pre-Bent Struts

E-Flite Retracts

Comparison between the FIXED Strut and Park Zone Pre-Bents
:

Fixed Mains Removed:

New E-Flite Retracts installed:

E-Flite Y-Connector & Servo Extensions:

Feeding in the Retract Harnesses:

Finished!!!!!

One little detail was that my P-47 was using the AR500 and now that it has Retracts it needs one additional channel so, I swapped an AR600 from my Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX!

Spektrum AR600
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2013, 11:42 AM
No bounce, No play.
Interesting, I didn't hear him say he did not use the "Y" that came with the retracts. I have a 15E Bonanza using the E-Flite supplied "Y" and never have had an issue, has 30-40 flights on it. AR7000 Rx.
Jun 28, 2013, 11:48 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
Interesting, I didn't hear him say he did not use the "Y" that came with the retracts. I have a 15E Bonanza using the E-Flite supplied "Y" and never have had an issue, has 30-40 flights on it. AR7000 Rx.
AR7000 RX has perhaps total different Circuit Board than the AR600 / AR500 that I am using here

Oh!!! Take a look at your AR7000 User Manual!!!
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...0UserGuide.pdf

It clearly says NOT to use "Amplified" Y-Harnesses.
Jun 28, 2013, 11:54 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Interesting, I didn't hear him say he did not use the "Y" that came with the retracts.
Going back to the Video, you can clearly see that he is not using what is supplied within the E-Flite Retracts with regard to the Y-Connector Harness that comes with the Retracts!

Compare the Video carefully with the Supplied "Amplified" Harness!

Jun 28, 2013, 12:21 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
AR7000 RX has perhaps total different Circuit Board than the AR600 / AR500 that I am using here

Oh!!! Take a look at your AR7000 User Manual!!!
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...0UserGuide.pdf

It clearly says NOT to use "Amplified" Y-Harnesses.
Maybe there is some difference in the Rx's that cause it to be an issue with the amped "Y".

I certainly have seen that in all the Spek manuals, no amps, I just went with the Bonanza instructions that said to use the supplied harness, their default radio in the installation is the AR6200 with conventional tail or AR7000 with V-Tail.
Jun 28, 2013, 12:24 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Going back to the Video, you can clearly see that he is not using what is supplied within the E-Flite Retracts with regard to the Y-Connector Harness that comes with the Retracts!

Compare the Video carefully with the Supplied "Amplified" Harness!
The "Y" that came with my E-Flite 10-15 retracts is white-black-red wires so I did not see the significance.
Jun 28, 2013, 12:38 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
The "Y" that came with my E-Flite 10-15 retracts is white-black-red wires so I did not see the significance.
Then, it is NOT an "AMPLIFIED" Y-Connector Harness.

The ones that I have found in now Two (2) of the E-Flite Retracts for these Park Flyer Size models has been like in the following picture:

It is quite a significance!

Jun 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Then, it is NOT an "AMPLIFIED" Y-Connector Harness.

The ones that I have found in now Two (2) of the E-Flite Retracts for these Park Flyer Size models has been like in the following picture:

It is quite a significance!
I have not cut the heat-shrink off mine but I can see from the shape of it there is the same circuit board that you show above with the small IC and the two other small components at the end where the single plug is.

Both of my sets of retracts have the same circuit boards in the "Y" that is white-red-black
Jun 28, 2013, 01:18 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
I have not cut the heat-shrink off mine but I can see from the shape of it there is the same circuit board that you show above with the small IC and the two other small components at the end where the single plug is.

Both of my sets of retracts have the same circuit boards in the "Y" that is white-red-black
In my previous postings of my adventures with these E-Flite Retracts while using the Provided "Amplified" Y-Connector Harness, I have posted very clearly that for the first 15 - 20 flights, I have had no issues with the STOCK provided Y-Connector "Amplified" and it was not until the retracts exhibited Unsolicited Cycling of one side.

At first, lots of people told me it was ESC then, RX and not until I saw a posting at the E-Flite Hawker Hurricane 25e Thread that someone had the very same issue that I was having and they changed out the STOCK Provided Y-Connector Harness to a regular Non-Amplified Y and it cured the problem.

If you are not having any issues then, that is super, however, my posting is for those others....
Jun 28, 2013, 01:36 PM
No bounce, No play.
Your links here seem to indicate Tom Hunt never conclusively determined the amped "Y" was the specific problem. He seems to think it is simply the Spektrum Rx since it happened with a AR600 and non-amped "Y". He was convinced it was a combination of the Spek Rx and EF 60 ESC.

Interesting his comment about servos already having an amplifier in them.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...79&postcount=3

This all does highlight the need to test, install carefully, and be vigilant with all the combinations of electronic gear we put in planes these days.

I wonder if the circuit in the retract is any type of amp or just simply the current overload protection.
Jun 28, 2013, 01:41 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
David,

This is exactly what I am doing here, Experiment as Tom Hunt has not really come back with any other information other than what you and I have found.

According to Tom Hunt and others in the Radio Section, these Y-Connector Harness that come with the Retracts are indeed Signal Line Amplifiers and not current overload protection.

Again, I am posting to allow for those that have "or" may encounter the issues that I have to consider the "Non-Amplified" Y.

Pitts..
Jun 28, 2013, 01:55 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
....these Y-Connector Harness that come with the Retracts are indeed Signal Line Amplifiers and not current overload protection.....
I was actually musing about the overload protection circuit inside the retract, wonder if it has any amplification like Tom spoke of inside servos.
Jun 28, 2013, 02:01 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
I was actually musing about the overload protection circuit inside the retract, wonder if it has any amplification like Tom spoke of inside servos.
Oh, I see.......

Don't know, however, if you get the moving Gear caught, it STOPS very well as it detects a high current value and the device STOPS. I am sure this is not a feature found on E-Flite Retracts mutually exclusively but, I just do not see any connection to why this part of the circuitry would create an unsolicited Cycling of one side Retract like in my case?
Jun 28, 2013, 02:13 PM
No bounce, No play.
I think all the E-Flite retracts have this current feature. I just wonder if there is any additional things in there besides the current protection.

I gathered the idea that Tom was trying to get at was if a servo has an amp, and then you add another one in line, that's a bad idea.

I agree that the current circuit does not seem like a probable culprit in uncommanded cycling.
Jun 28, 2013, 02:31 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Hey,

I just realized that my JUG is headed for more weight now with these retracts!!

Quick Reply