Jul 01, 2013, 02:55 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
Why? One company has success with one model....so everyone else makes the same darn thing.....there are a few WWI planes out there pick something different....bunch of lemmings.
True, but the problem with so many WW1 birds (Camel, Pup, DR1, Nieuports etc) are the short noses. This makes achieving the correct CG without noseweight or significant scale departures tricky.

Good call on the DVII though guys; I can't understand why this classic has not been modelled already by one of the big foamie manufacturers.
Last edited by MattyB; Jul 01, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2013, 03:06 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman
Yes A Fokker DVII and / or a DVIII would really be nice
But not a 4s LIPO needed biplane please , for me , I am a 3s lipo happy flyer.
Just re-motor with a 900-1000Kv 3542 and an uprated ESC; 350-400W on 3S should be plenty of power. I am thinking about doing exactly this on the Dynam Tiggie.
Last edited by MattyB; Jul 01, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Jul 01, 2013, 03:23 PM
Go 4th Air Force
With all of the amazing color schemes available for an Albatros model, I wonder why they picked one so close to the PZ model
Jul 01, 2013, 04:15 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacko
With all of the amazing color schemes available for an Albatros model, I wonder why they picked one so close to the PZ model
Simplicity? A lot of the schemes are pretty complex, and complexity = time and .
Jul 01, 2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks MattyB , had never thought of that . There is good info on these forum postings .
Jul 02, 2013, 10:39 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman
Thanks MattyB , had never thought of that . There is good info on these forum postings .
Np. Alternatively you could try a bigger, pitchier prop, but to get decent thrust on 3S and the stock 600Kv motor the prop would have to be very big. This would probably result in broken props at takeoff and possibly some unpleasant torque effects in the air.
Jul 02, 2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
True, but the problem with so many WW1 birds (Camel, Pup, DR1, Nieuports etc) are the short noses. This makes achieving the correct CG without noseweight or significant scale departures tricky.

Good call on the DVII though guys; I can't understand why this classic has not been modelled already by one of the big foamie manufacturers.
I can understand the short noses....but I think in this day in age with the power and size of the motors we have available it could be done.....even if the factory has to add weight to the nose.

I know I would love one....I have the little neiuport 11 from electrifly and it is a fantastic little plane....same with their spad. even the DR1 with a few changes is a pretty nice plane.
Jul 02, 2013, 03:48 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin
4S is the new 3S haven't you heard. I really like 4S in these slightly larger than parkflier models. Keeps the dead lead weight out of the nose and the voltage increase with a slower motor is more efficient.
Like has been said just unfortunate it wasn't a model which hasn't been done before.
I absolutely agree on the 4s statement. Look on how many people are trying to convert from 3s to 4s on many of the 3s planes. Now that I have a handleful of 4s batteries I am trying to fit them into everything of reasonable size

Kman
Jul 02, 2013, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
Now that I have a handleful of 4s batteries I am trying to fit them into everything of reasonable size
That doesn't happen often someone agrees with me.
I converted first my Dynam Spitfire to 4S 2700mAH 30C and then my Durafly Corsair and Vampire. All running from the same batteries. Mean if something goes in the batt as not going to be idle. More importunately the model run well and it's much easier to balance the CG without additional dead lead. And I think that size is a nice compromise between the extra weight and size v's extra flight time and power.

Personally speaking the nose might be a bit wrong but seriously these are toy flying little look-a-like planes not the same. Close to representation is great but more important is that they fly well for us. I would rather than than a very scale model which flew like crap. Compromises including for cost as well have to be made.
Jul 02, 2013, 06:17 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Looks like this plane has the same motor as the Tiger Moth, so power should be impressive on 4s. 3s may also be possible as those are some pretty big wings for carrying such a light airframe.

Kman
Jul 02, 2013, 07:17 PM
Go 4th Air Force
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Simplicity? A lot of the schemes are pretty complex, and complexity = time and .
I can understand that but you would think they would want to differentiate just a little bit. I know they used the later cross scheme but maybe a green tail just to be different, just thinking out loud (sort of)

Paul
Jul 02, 2013, 08:55 PM

only a toy till you fly into yourself....:)

I don't agree with the need to sacrifice profile to achieve good center of gravity. The parkzone albatros in my case with a 3s 2200 battery has a 1/4 oz 14gram lead tab as far back on the tail as I can get it and that is the minimum. Weight to get it to fly slow and scale. The nose doesn't always have to grow)

UOTE=Griphin;25466739]That doesn't happen often someone agrees with me.
I converted first my Dynam Spitfire to 4S 2700mAH 30C and then my Durafly Corsair and Vampire. All running from the same batteries. Mean if something goes in the batt as not going to be idle. More importunately the model run well and it's much easier to balance the CG without additional dead lead. And I think that size is a nice compromise between the extra weight and size v's extra flight time and power.

Personally speaking the nose might be a bit wrong but seriously these are toy flying little look-a-like planes not the same. Close to representation is great but more important is that they fly well for us. I would rather than than a very scale model which flew like crap. Compromises including for cost as well have to be made.[/QUOTE]
Jul 02, 2013, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoffa
I don't agree with the need to sacrifice profile to achieve good center of gravity. The parkzone albatros in my case with a 3s 2200 battery has a 1/4 oz 14gram lead tab as far back on the tail as I can get it and that is the minimum. Weight to get it to fly slow and scale. The nose doesn't always have to grow)
That not all there is too it of course. Not that simple.
Jul 09, 2013, 05:36 AM
PEMAC
Hmmm, glue some 1mm wood over that yellow on the fuse, laquer, and she'd look nice.

"wood coloured propeller" ?!? You can get some nice electric real wood props for $3.
Jul 09, 2013, 12:42 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Looks like it's already on sale at Nitroplanes.com for $169.95. For the ARF version.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8960-adva-arf.html

Specifications:
Wingspan:1270mm(50in)
Overall Length:1055mm(41.5in)
Servo:9gx4pcs
Speed Controller:40A Brushless
Motor Size:BM3720A-KV600 Brushless Outrunner
Flying Weight:1600g(56.5oz)

The Dynam Albatros is a beautiful EPO foam representation of an aircraft that battled the skies almost 100 years ago. Re-live history and enjoy the unique silhouette of the Albatross soaring the sky. Detailed features even include an engine and machine guns to enhance that war bird effect. The plane may look funny to some, but it packs some serious hardware. A 40amp brushless speed controller feeds current to the BM3720A 600KV Brushless motor. A recommended 14.8v 2200mah Lithium battery provides power to the servos and power plant. At a wingspan of almost 50 inches this bird will impress everyone at your field especially when your pulling crazy spins!

This almost ready to fly Albatros is equipped with most of the essential electronics installed. You will need to acquire a 14.8v 2200mah Li-Po battery, Li-Po battery charger capable of charging 14.8v Li-Po batteries, a minimum 4 channel radio system, and possess basic building materials and knowledge to complete the plane and ready it for flight.

Quick Reply