Jan 06, 2020, 01:29 PM

Nice new scale prop from Amazon

Picked up a nice scale wood-looking prop from Amazon and finally had a chance to fly her after some hangar repair time.

XOAR PJWWI Scimitar 14x6 Dark RC Warbird Airplane Propeller. 14 Inch 2 Blade WWI Scale Wood Prop

https://www.amazon.com/XOAR-Scimitar.../dp/B01HVG1ABS

She pulls GREAT!
Last edited by WingCommanderRF; Jan 06, 2020 at 08:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 01:43 PM
two thumbs up for that one, looks real good!
Jan 16, 2020, 05:29 PM
casual park flyer
Saw 1917 today. It was an Albatros that got shot down next to the two Brit soldiers. Movie was ok but had too many errors wife and I both noticed. Production seemed rushed and could have been written better. But by all means, see it. Probably get oscars for cinematography and set design at least.
Jan 16, 2020, 06:34 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingCommanderRF
Picked up a nice scale wood-looking prop from Amazon and finally had a chance to fly her after some hangar repair time.

XOAR PJWWI Scimitar 14x6 Dark RC Warbird Airplane Propeller. 14 Inch 2 Blade WWI Scale Wood Prop

She pulls GREAT!
Been using that for a year. Go back and read the earlier postings. Video there as well. Also on skis last winter and always flying with that prop then with sound and flashing amber machine gun LED's.

AlbatrosGuns1 (1 min 10 sec)

Albatros DVa on skis (5 min 56 sec)
Last edited by 52Sabre; Jan 16, 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Jan 17, 2020, 01:13 PM
Registered Hoser
Thanks for the link WingCommander! Good find. I see they have the 13x8 as well. May as well get both and try them out on my supercharged set-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingCommanderRF

She pulls GREAT!
Jan 17, 2020, 04:31 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn. Krunch
Thanks for the link WingCommander! Good find. I see they have the 13x8 as well. May as well get both and try them out on my supercharged set-up.
From Oct. 19, 2018 > https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?p=40370147

Wing CommanderRF, Cptn. Krunch: They want $4 shipping for that $16.99 Xoar 14 x 6 through Amazon. It is not a Prime item.
Ebay listing is $17.99 but with free shipping. Choice is yours > https://www.ebay.com/itm/XOAR-PJWWI-...MAAOSwK7FWhJlw

Still a few bucks more than what I paid back in Oct. '18. Pricey? yes. But well balanced as delivered and looks good. Note: the Germans actually did not use these, The Brits did. Still I prefer the looks of this scimitar style to others. I have several of this size and only broke one once. Keep in mind they do have to be reamed out to fit the stock Dynam hub but the 15" size props do not and fit right on. I tried a 15 x 4 and went back to the 14 x 6 as I feel they perform better.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Jan 18, 2020 at 09:19 AM.
Jan 19, 2020, 12:28 PM
Registered Hoser

On board video

Here's the on board video I took this fall. Stock prop with a 790 Surpass motor. The model can keep up with the clouds now. A few modifations have really made this a great plane. I replaced the stiff springs for some softer ones and she really settled down on landing. I cruise at 1/3 power and when I want to I can go ballistic
Dynam Albatros on board (5 min 3 sec)
Jan 19, 2020, 01:38 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn. Krunch View Post
Here's the on board video I took this fall. Stock prop with a 790 Surpass motor. The model can keep up with the clouds now. A few modifations have really made this a great plane. I replaced the stiff springs for some softer ones and she really settled down on landing. I cruise at 1/3 power and when I want to I can go ballistic

https://youtu.be/ahxQNlrpA5E
Very good! Fun airplane. I like your flying site. I'm surprised you didn't post that sooner
Last edited by 52Sabre; Jan 19, 2020 at 09:28 PM.
Feb 11, 2020, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn. Krunch
...Stock prop with a 790 Surpass motor...
Hi Cptn. I think we've swapped some messages on the Waco thread in the past.
(I've used Surpass 3548 motors with my Waco. I started with a 900Kv then I changed it to a 790Kv. I reckon the 790Kv is just right for a biplane this size.)

So.. I now have an Albatros as well. Its currently fitted with the stock motor but I know I will want to swap it for a Surpass 790Kv at some point. Its yet to fly - I never seem to have the time on those few days when the wind dies down.

Anyway, question is.. how have you fitted a Surpass to your Albatros? I've had a look and the Surpass X mounting is too small and doesn't line up.
Easiest way would be to use some birch ply but that would create a gap between the spinner and the plane. Better way would be to drill some holes in the stock X mounting to line up with the Surpass motor but I don't have a pillar drill for accurate drilling.
Feb 11, 2020, 07:57 AM
Registered Hoser
Hello Pilotsummer,
I ended up making one for myself. I have some 3mm thick kevlar plates and cut them out in the original dynam pattern but with holes to fit the Surpass.
Feb 11, 2020, 08:28 AM
Oh right. I thought it would need something like that. Ta.

I'll fly it with the stock motor at first and then think again.
Feb 11, 2020, 02:15 PM
Registered Hoser
I flew mine stock as well and with energy management it performs just fine. When it came to flying out of a small field lined with 12 meter pines, I re assessed the motor situation.
Good luck on your maiden, you will like this plane if not just for the looks in the air!

Quick Reply