Aug 18, 2019, 10:10 AM
casual park flyer
Flight today was pretty crappy due to wind. Been using a new T16 radio w/ frsky protocol and rcvr. But, I'm thinking about going back to my old radio and using Lemon dsm2/x rcvr with a on board flight stabilizer. Problem is where to put it? It has to be fixed pretty solid. It's a pita to pull the bottom wing off as I have to unclip 9 flying wires on each wing in addition to the 4 wing screws and two strut screws. Then if I need to tweak the unit, not sure how good the access would be for that. Really don't want to put it on top of the battery. Only thing I can think of right now is mounting it in the center of the bottom wing with 3 little holes drilled to provide access to the adjustments. Suggestions?
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 18, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 04:26 AM
casual park flyer
It's small enough it can be fitted flat along the side at rear of battery compartment. But then channels, etc must be reassigned, etc. And it may be difficult to make adjustments. Not sure if there would be problems right next to battery. I'll play with it.

Another option is to cut a small hatch in the fuselage behind the lower wing and make a solid neat installation there.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 19, 2019 at 05:52 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 07:38 AM
casual park flyer
Morning flight report: Very nice early morning sortie. Flew well with no wind. T16 radio with FrSky D8R-II rcvr. Rudder and aileron must be coupled. Tried flying with ailerons only on low rates but plane did not want to respond. Flipped on A/R coupling and she straightened out and flew well. Don't know if differential ailerons would make any difference. Currently I have ailerons at 50% w/50% expo, rudder 55% w/55% expo. Elevator required more up trim than expected nearly 18%, rudder required 8% to the left. I'll put on an additional 7g of tape weigh to the tail. Keep in mind I did not require any weight on the tail last fall and winter. But I've since added larger 4 3/8" William's Bros. vintage wheels and a MrRcSound board & transducer. The sound this morning was fairly loud and authentic. Made a couple of strafing runs that were pretty cool. Not really big into aerobatics, but I did manage a nice small loop and a roll.

It flew with with the FrSky system now installed. Tempted to just leave in in there and avoid windy days. Other wise I'd have to solidly mount a flight stabilizer somewhere which I may do later on.

Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 19, 2019 at 07:18 PM.
Aug 19, 2019, 08:03 PM
casual park flyer
Flew again tonight. Couldn't figure out why I continually had to add elevator to get level flight. After landing I found out why. The whole tail is loose! And sagging. I'll get it fixed. But it obviously wasn't glued properly at the factory.

Turns out that tail assembly is our responsibility. I just installed it with the supplied screws as per instructions back in October. Didn't expect it to ever loosen up. So, now I'll apply some UHU POR adhesive to the mating surfaces and reinstall. Remove 7-14g of tape weight from the tail and reset the trims. Test fly in the morning.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 19, 2019 at 08:47 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 07:40 AM
Hey Sabre, that is an AMAZING pilot you have there. I love the helmet and style, was there a place you picked that up or is it custom? I have had a hard time finding figures that fit the style.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:29 AM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_oblivious
Hey Sabre, that is an AMAZING pilot you have there. I love the helmet and style, was there a place you picked that up or is it custom? I have had a hard time finding figures that fit the style.
http://www.acesofiron.com/5th_scale.htm

Not cheap and you hand paint it. But worth it. Look at my postings from October for more pictures.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 20, 2019 at 08:41 AM.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thank you!
Aug 20, 2019, 07:42 PM
casual park flyer
Flew much better tonight. Straight and true. But for some reason it wants to veer to the right during the take off roll. You would think it would tend to veer left due to prop torque.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 20, 2019 at 08:11 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 11:20 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
Flew much better tonight. Straight and true. But for some reason it wants to veer to the right during the take off roll. You would think it would tend to veer left due to prop torque.
Found the lower fin/tail skid was askew. Straightened.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:42 AM
casual park flyer
I want to add a lemon or orange flight stabilizer. I know it has to be solidly mounted. But not sure where to mount it and still have access to the adjustments?

sent from HTC M9 via tapatalk
Aug 21, 2019, 01:45 PM
You could bore out a section on the under side of the main wing and inset the stabilizer in there running the lines in parallel with the two aileron servos wires. I do not know how much wire weight that would add though.
Aug 21, 2019, 02:00 PM
casual park flyer
Pretty much decided to slide the battery back and secure it in the front of the battery bay. Make up some servo extensions and re-balance as needed. Keep wires neatly tucked away. I don't have to pull the bottom wing to install!
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 21, 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Pretty much decided to slide the battery back and secure it in the front of the battery bay. Make up some servo extensions and re-balance as needed. Keep wires neatly tucked away. I don't have to pull the bottom wing to install!
I've never used one but aren't those stabilizers supposed to be installed at or near the CG?

CR
Last edited by Charley38; Aug 22, 2019 at 12:42 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 12:00 PM
casual park flyer
Yes of course. But I'd have to pull the wing and install a piece of thin plywood and properly install to that. And then I have to cut a small hole in bottom of wing to access the adjustments. I'm not going to do all that. And besides, I like to defy convention. But I'm not asking for opinions here. I want to hear from someone that has one installed. Otherwise I'm just going slap it in there best I can and see how it goes. One has been in the nose (by leading edge of bottom wing) of my Durafly SE-5a for years now and works well.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 22, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Yes of course. But I'd have to pull the wing and install a piece of thin plywood and properly install to that. And then I have to cut a small hole in bottom of wing to access the adjustments. I'm not going to do all that. And besides, I like to defy convention. But I'm not asking for opinions here. I want to hear from someone that has one installed. Otherwise I'm just going slap it in there best I can and see how it goes. One has been in the nose (by leading edge of bottom wing) of my Durafly SE-5a for years now and works well.
I asked a question. I didn't venture an opinion. Don't really care where you stick it.

CR

Quick Reply