Sep 17, 2018, 07:11 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinthing
we determined that this plane was just a slug.
you do realise it's a ww1 fighter and hot stuff when it was released just over a century ago, barely a decade and a half after the first successful heavier than air powered flights by wilbur and orville

cut it some slack

nice info here :
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/albatros-dva

top speed of 186kph equates to a whopping (scale) speed maximum at 1:7 of ~27kph... that's just over 17mph in imperial measurement, and that's as fast as it can go

you need to appreciate that it probably flies like the real one, but faster, even when it looks so slow

to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2018, 07:41 PM
Fly as high as the Sun
Scruffy,

That is the very reason I love these WW1 biplanes....

However, I'm speaking strictly in terms of successful RC flight. When you have to keep the throttle pinned just to keep it airborne, it's not a fun experience, and way different than my other biplanes.

I much prefer to slow fly, but with a little power in reserve...I'm much more interested in torque than speed.
Last edited by Chinthing; Sep 17, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
Sep 17, 2018, 10:01 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinthing
However, I'm speaking strictly in terms of successful RC flight. When you have to keep the throttle pinned just to keep it airborne, it's not a fun experience, and way different than my other biplanes.

I much prefer to slow fly, but with a little power in reserve...I'm much more interested in torque than speed.
in that case, sounds like it needs better power to weight for sure

a geared motor, or something big enough but with really low kv would seem appropriate
Sep 18, 2018, 09:13 PM
Fly as high as the Sun
I have ordered the 15x6 Xoar Scimitar....probably no flight test until after the repaint, but I will check it on the bench and post the results.
Sep 21, 2018, 05:08 PM
Fly as high as the Sun
The 15x6 Scimitar arrived today, sooner than expected. First of all, it's huge! ....one bad landing, and it may be toast.
I was surprised that the spinner fit over it without modifying it, but did.

I checked it on the bench, and at wide open throttle, it still only pulls 30 amps. That means cruising around at just over half throttle, I'm back to the original 20 amp draw, with torque to spare....and if I do fly it wide open on some passes, or loops, no worries.

I wasn't planning on a test flight until after the repaint, but I might not be able to wait that long.
Oct 08, 2018, 12:10 PM
Had to replace a lot of parts on mine due to the elevator coming off on only its second flight. After, the rebuild it flies well, but it really needs a lot of rudder in turns. Without it, it barely turns at all. When I first took off, I thought I was going to lose it as I couldn't get it turned around. Then realized I was trying to turn with aileron only. Did well taking off and landing on short grass.
Oct 08, 2018, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_stan
Had to replace a lot of parts on mine due to the elevator coming off on only its second flight. After, the rebuild it flies well, but it really needs a lot of rudder in turns. Without it, it barely turns at all. When I first took off, I thought I was going to lose it as I couldn't get it turned around. Then realized I was trying to turn with aileron only. Did well taking off and landing on short grass.
Gotta remember to pull up elevator when it's banked. That's where the turn comes from. When you bank it it may not yaw in the direction you want. That's where the rudder comes in. So; you bank it and apply rudder to yaw and apply elevator to complete the turn and maintain altitude. Nothing to it. Just takes practice to get it coordinated.

CR
Oct 08, 2018, 08:44 PM
looking up, down under
bank and yank is aileron / elevator option

the rudder will work for turns on its own, but once the turn starts, your nose will drop, so rudder / elevatot is still required

elevator plays a role in all turns, really
Oct 18, 2018, 10:33 AM
casual park flyer
Just assembled one of these and my concern is the little screws they supply to hold it all together. I'm afraid the wings might come off in flight! Suggestions?

The supplied pilot seems awfully small. If he's 1/6 scale then I think I'll go with a 1/5 scale pilot. Cockpit is spacious enough.

If the consensus is that the bird is under propped with stock 13x6 then why not a 14x8? I agree a 15 is too big.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Oct 18, 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Oct 18, 2018, 05:03 PM
looking up, down under
yeah, the supplied guy is a garden gnome
Oct 18, 2018, 07:07 PM
Fly as high as the Sun
I ended up using a Dynam 1/5 scale pilot....however, with a little modification (no legs), this little guy fits great in the Tiger Moth.
Oct 19, 2018, 06:09 AM
Per the wingspan, 1/7 scale would be closest...Pete M
Oct 19, 2018, 01:06 PM
casual park flyer
I'm not sure if that necessarily pertains to a biplane Pete.
Oct 19, 2018, 01:28 PM
You compare the model wingspan to the full size wingspan. Number of wings doesn't matter.
Oct 19, 2018, 02:08 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas
You compare the model wingspan to the full size wingspan. Number of wings doesn't matter.
Yes I see Maxford's 1/5 scale Albatros has a 70" span. Balsa USA's 1/6 scale Sopwith Pup and Nieuport have 53-55" wingspan. Nice kits. Missing my 4-stroke and the smell of monokote being applied.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Oct 19, 2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply