This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

flying alone

for those who, like me, have the choice to fly alone or with others, it has its great advantages.
1st of all, there is less stress. no worries about collisions. you don't have to keep an eye on others, or to have a spotter (some1 near you watching for others flights-that is, if there is some1 available). no need to ask for favors-and then to watch for others.
that's a great feeling of freedom, too.
besides, you don't have to push yourself to do all just right, or not make mistakes, as some1 is watching. you know, when you are alone, as you are relaxed, most likely all goes fine, but if there is some1 you feel watched and is more likely that you will do something wrong.
also, in my case, i fly alone because i fly at dawn, and no 1 is an early bird.
all my life i had that thing of waking at 4 and watching the light begin to show all the colors of dawn and sunrise. then at the field we have the chance to fly electrics early, as they don't make noise-or almost-and as there is a farm nearby, there is a deal with the farmer not to awake them with the noise of engines.
and that's another reason why i got into electrics, too.
and you don't have to face some1 telling you what to do with your plane, too.
but then again, you can't get advice when you need it, or if you forget something.
but at the end of the day, i trade this for peace of mind.
and the fields around are so nice, all green and beautiful, so quiet...occasionally a car passes by the nearby road, that's all.
there is some wildlife, like geese, gulls, hawks, buzzards, swallows, all kinds of birds,and now and then a deer. but they don't bother you.
well, except that recently some birds chase my sailplanes when landing, as they have nests to guard.
and, as i have been a loner all my life,i enjoy my freedom.
Saint Bernadette said: 'solitude is the happiest privilege'.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 29, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2013, 11:19 AM
Furious Hawks Everywhere Swoop Down on RC plane GWS Tiger Moth (1 min 33 sec)
yeah, the only spot available in my area has hawks that nest all around but they will attack rc planes and sometimes rc pilots!
Oct 24, 2013, 07:32 AM

are there any 'AMA' rules regarding flying alone?

What are the 'official' AMA rules regarding flying alone at a AMA field?
( not looking for any opinions, just what is printed in existing AMA guidelines)

I found out at our last club meeting that we had a internal club rule that forbids flying alone at our field. Just wanted to know if that was supported by an AMA rule because I cant find it. I want to bring up the rule for a vote at our next meeting, but I want to be more informed first. If the people in favor of this rule start to quote some text in the ama guidelines, I'd like to know about it first.

Quick Reply