This thread is privately moderated by Daryoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 15, 2014, 09:31 PM
524347726f7570732052756c6 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaman View Post
Those 2 lonely holes just above? That's good to know
It's Not 'holes' it's only THE hole directly above the VDD. At least that is the only one that I would connect to.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2014, 07:47 AM

One to rule them all :)

Thanks all of you guys, It was really straight forward adding the module on my Devo 7e to control all my Hubsans and I need to say, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I donít want to touch the stock Hubsan TX anymore. The precision of the command is so much better!. Really happy with this mod!

In the following you will find two links that may can help you:

A7105-500m wireless transceiver Antenna

Model.ini basic for HUBSAN X4 fully functional

Also check the pictures of my build.

Regards
Feb 16, 2014, 08:42 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbelo View Post
WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I donít want to touch the stock Hubsan TX anymore. The precision of the command is so much better!. Really happy with this mod!
Another happy camper!
Now you are able to experience what makes the difference between 512 and 2048 stick resolution (or to say - a toy TX and a hobby grade one...)
Soon you will be able to maneuver ther X4 to a pinpoint precision. (ever tried to land repeatedly on a turned over small cup?)....

-mike-
Feb 16, 2014, 10:37 AM
Hi Mike!

Yes! Iím really happy with my Devo, so smooth, so precise. I have a totally different experience now with my quads. There is no words to explain the sensation Ö
Feb 16, 2014, 12:48 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
For some reason, of all my quads...the X4 is the "most improved" when I bound it to my Devo7e.

I mean, all of the models flew much better with the Devo7e versus it's stock TX. But the Hubsan X4 is the one that sticks out the most in my experience. A hate...love affair depending on the radio I fly it with. And it still holds true when I go back to the stock TX each time a new flavor of X4 comes through my lab.

Glad you're experiencing the same feeling as me.
Feb 16, 2014, 12:54 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
@Telemachus
Clean work. I like using ribbon cable on all my installs as well.

@eaman
Yes, just that single pad right about the VDD. If you trace it with the multimeter, you will find that it connects to the VDD pad. In fact, you can see the trace that connects the two. Therefore, there's two VDD location to solder to.

As for the grounds. It's everywhere. For instance, each of the corner of the RF shield is a ground point. Big, fat, easy to solder to.
Feb 16, 2014, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbelo View Post
Thanks all of you guys, It was really straight forward adding the module on my Devo 7e to control all my Hubsans and I need to say, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I donít want to touch the stock Hubsan TX anymore. The precision of the command is so much better!. Really happy with this mod!

In the following you will find two links that may can help you:

A7105-500m wireless transceiver Antenna

Model.ini basic for HUBSAN X4 fully functional

Also check the pictures of my build.

Regards
First of all, congrats. And, yes, the X4 is a completely different quad with the Devo.

I initially did the A7105 mod with a cheap, low power A7105 http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMIC-A7105-W...-/280953247359. Then, once I got an A7105 with a PA, I swapped them

I will go back to the low power one. What I just discovered is that my amplified module uses power even when I'm not using a protocol that needs the A7105. Even if all I do is to fly a DSM model, my battery life has been cut significantly

Given that I managed to get 15+ meters with the low power unit (never really did a range test, but I don't need more range for the X4 anyway), there's no real advantage in having the amplified module

Just a word of caution to people considering the A7105 mod: unless you really need the longer range, the cheaper (and easier to find) non-amplified modules work just as well, and do not reduce your battery life

I asked on the Deviation Tx forum, and seems to be a known issue that at least some of these modules power the PA even when not used. As usual, YMMV, and your module might power off the PA when not used

Good thing is that I soldered a 4s wire harness (5 wires) to the Tx, and my modules are swappable very easily, so it's just a matter of reopening my Tx, removing the heat shrink, swap the module, put back new heat shrink (used as insulator), and I'm done. I'll measure power usage when the module is not selected, to confirm the problem (but won't be able to do this for the next 2 weeks, business trip coming)
Feb 16, 2014, 07:18 PM
@Daryoon: thanks a lot!
I totally love my deviated mod devo, it flies everything I got except for my dam u816a. I guess I will buy a wltoys board for it so I can get rid of that therrible TX, and get myself some rudder.
Feb 17, 2014, 03:48 AM
@Daryoon, Yes, and It gets even better, now I can monitor the voltage of my battery using the telemetry feature. I set and alarm and the TX start to vibrate when the minimum voltage is reached indicating that is time to go home, this is a tremendous improvement for my home made FPV X4!

@Robca, Thanks for the advice, I used the same module in a stock Hubsan TX to increase its range and it works fine, but when I swapped to my new Devo 7e the flying experience gets completely different and much better! I have no idea if my module will remain with the PA powered.
Feb 17, 2014, 08:52 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
If power consumption is truly a problem I would imagine a physical switch could be installed between the VCC or GND line of the module.

I still get several days out of 4 AAs
Feb 18, 2014, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
If power consumption is truly a problem I would imagine a physical switch could be installed between the VCC or GND line of the module.

I still get several days out of 4 AAs
Yes, a physical switch is an option. Just make sure you can't bump it by mistake in the middle of a flight or the Tx/Rx will lose the binding and you won't be able to recover

A well designed module should power off the PA when not used, btw. It looks like mine doesn't, so I get shorter battery life. I thought I'd mention it, just in case...
Feb 18, 2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I haven't put my ammeter in line with mine to check current draw, but the modules I salvaged from my 911 and 222 radios _seem_ to power down while not selected. At least the induced hum in some component goes away when I'm using the stock module and not the extra modules.
Feb 19, 2014, 01:21 PM
I'm setting up the nRF24L01 module: I see that the module "sausage" antenna won't fit inside the plastic antenna of my devo 7e, there's not enough room in the plastic spike for both the original devo and the nRF24L01 one?

What should I do?
Can i just leave it a little behind or do I have to drill a hole in the TX and place a new plastic spike cover for it?
Feb 19, 2014, 01:46 PM
524347726f7570732052756c6 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaman View Post
I'm setting up the nRF24L01 module: I see that the module "sausage" antenna won't fit inside the plastic antenna of my devo 7e, there's not enough room in the plastic spike for both the original devo and the nRF24L01 one?

What should I do?
Can i just leave it a little behind or do I have to drill a hole in the TX and place a new plastic spike cover for it?
Here's an option:

http://goo.gl/5y4MG3

Seems to work fine and actually increase range with the stock antenna and built-in module.

Shanman3us
Feb 19, 2014, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanman3us View Post
Here's an option:
Neat!
That does it without any substantial modification or bending: the nRF24L01 in the spike and the Devo antenna horizontal inside the TX.

Thanks mate!

Quick Reply