This thread is privately moderated by Daryoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 23, 2013, 08:58 AM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Discussion

Daryoon's Devo 7e

Update 2018-09-04 - Nowadays, the chinese manufacturer have taken the multimodule project and made a 4in1 board that you can fit inside the Devo 7e, adding the additional transceivers for all the protocols. This allows you to have one antenna that is switched between the module. The internal RF module is redundant, so you'd remove that. That's my recommendation.
4 In 1 RF Module For Walkera Devo Transmitter

Alternatively, you can purchase the 3in1 module and leave the internal module in place. You'd have two antenna in this scenario.
3 IN 1 Wireless Module for DEVO Transmitter

All the pertinent info and help can be found on the DeviationTX forum:
https://www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-...4in1-rf-module

Original post kept below for historical reference...
----------------------------------------------------------------
My quick primer. Most, if not all information here applies to the other Deviation supported radios such as the Devo 6s, 10, 8s and 12.

But since I have the Devo 7e, I will refer to that explicitly...

The Devo 7e is a unique radio in that it's small and feels well built. Upgrade it with the opensource Deviation firmware and it has no rival in it's class. It will be the closest thing to one radio that can fly most r/c protocols.
  • Walkera WK2401/WK2601/WK2801 protocol
  • Walkera's current Devo protocol
  • Nine Eagles J6 protocol
  • DSM2 compatible
  • DSMX compatible

Additional protocols supported by installing module:
  • Hubsan protocol
  • FlySky protocol
  • HiSky protocol
  • WLToys v2xx protocol
  • Tactic SLT protocol (AnyLink, TX-R)
  • Nine Eagles General Link protocol
  • YD717 and it's rebrand: Sky-Botz
  • Cheerson CX-10 (red pcb version) and CX-11 using the YD717 (SkyWalker option) protocol
  • UDI protocol
  • NiHui H377 protocol
  • FrSky protocol
  • KN protocol

Here's a more comprehensive list: Deviation Model Database

To use the Hubsan and Flysky protocol, you need to add the transceiver module that allows that to happen.

Either harvest it from the toy TX that came with your 9958, Syma X1 or WLtoys heli/quads, or you can purchase the A7105 module from sites like Ebay for about $11. I recommend getting a version with the power amplifier circuit built in. The WLToys transmitter has modules with the PA circuit built in. The 9958 do not.

Here's a look at the v911 module on the left, and the 9958 module without the PA circuit on the right:

Here's the HacksMods page detailing the FlySky module solder points. 5 connection points.

If you want WLToys' new v2xx protocol, HiSky protocol, Tactic SLT and Nine Eagles General Link. Which allows you to fly your WLToys v202, v212 and v222 or HiSky FBL70 (HFP80), FBL80 (HCP80), FBL90 (HFP100), FBL100 (HCP100), WLToys v922, FF120 quad as well as the HobbyKing Qbot Micro. Any TX-R aircraft are compatible since the introduction of Tactic SLT support. This means HeliMax Axe 100 CP, Axe 100SS and SSL, as well as any Nine Eagles General Link compatible helis. The NiHui 6ch heli, the H377, and also the YD717 and SkyBotz quads. You will need to install the nRF24L01 transceiver module. Again, you can harvest from the WLToys stock TX or purchase the module from Ebay for $11.

Here's the HacksMods page detailing the nRF24L01 module solder points. 7 connection points

Additional mods:
Range Mod...
The Devo 7e was Walkera's way of getting an entry level, programmable radio at a great price point. To prevent it from taking away sales of their full range transmitters such as the Devo 10, Devo 8s and Devo 12s...they prevented full range power output.

Some clever folks have found that bridging a diode located underneath the RF shield allows for full power output. This is verified on a scope.

Here's the HacksMods page detailing this modification.

Swivel External Antenna Mod...

To be able to position your antenna in the optimal position for best range, you'd want to add on a swivel antenna. HacksMods post

Switch Mod...
You can add two additional switches to the Devo 7e. There are already molded space for it inside the radio. You can add a single 3-position switch, or two 2-position switch, or for the ultimate setup, two 3-position switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edited to add on 2014-06-24
One of the frequently asked question is where to find the Long 3-position switches...

BangGood now has long 3 position switches for sale for $2.99 or so. Just select the whether you want 2 position or 3 position. And the short or long from their listing. Or this one

You can readily find the 3-position switches with long, round paddles or the long, flat paddles from HobbyKing.

The following sites also have the long, flat paddles version. You can choose to have the switch shipped out of their HK warehouse or their US warehouse. A couple of ppl reported no nuts came with their's. And I recalled at least one person requesting it and receiving the nuts.

updated 2014-5-30: Reported by Durete, Another source that comes with the nuts as well... ehirobo.com

updated 2014-09-23: Reported by pfriedel that Digikey and Newark NKK switches are nice, positive clicks and under $5.

updated 2014-10-22: CO_rcDude wants me to mention that grabbing 1N4148 switching diodes are a good idea. Especially if you have weird trim beeps or inability to bind to certain protocols like DSMX. His ordeal ended about here.

Here's a photo of two 3-position flat switches added:

And here is a photo of two 3-position round switches for comparision:

Virtual Switches Mod...
The developer have added the ability to reprogram the trim switches to act as toggles, momentary or discreet on and off switch.
Bonus Mod...

If you want to make the Devo 7e feel even better, you can purchase some aluminum sticks so you can enable stick length adjustment and add some colors to your radio.

Look for Futaba style stick. They use M3 threads.
Blue or Red @BangGood for <$3, free shipping:

It's about $2 on HobbyKing if you search for stick.

Red
Blue
Silver
Black
Purple

There's a long version for pinch grip users. And also fat ones for thumbs flier.

Finally, as with most Walkera products, it's sometimes hard to find.

Some places to find the Devo 7e. (Please let me know if there are any dead links or if you find better places to grab a Devo 7e from)

Try your LocalHobbyShop. Most aren't up to date with what tinker type hobbyist do. But my local hobby shop carries the Devo 7e for $50. I think they are clearing them out, as they always steer newbies to their common branded stuff.

Amazon for about $61 and free shipping.

If you can stand the wait...lately, about 2weeks for me. But set your expectation for 3-4weeks so you're not anxiously waiting for your package to arrive. BangGood's Devo 7e in mode 2 for $60.

Tmart also sells the Devo 7e for $60.

There's probably other chinese vendors and sites that sell the Devo 7e as well. So purchase from your favorite one. Another option is to purchase the Super CP combo that comes with the Devo 7e.

Hope that helps some.

Here's a photos of 3 Devo TX. Two of them, you can see how the FlySky module was installed. The antenna of those modules was routed through the antenna tube of the Devo7e. A better way to do it is simply place it laying horizontally across that top.

And here's a photo of both a NRF24L01 and the A7105 transceiver added.

Additional Resources: (Here are some notable builds and links)

EpyonFPV's Devo 7e to the Max
(Jo)Hannes Devo 7e modding resource website
User JW57RC and Phoenix040 made up some switch labels. Check out the post here.
Last edited by Daryoon; Sep 04, 2018 at 01:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2013, 11:21 PM
Most of the Walkera 6channel copters can be had RTF with a 7E. If you poke around, you may even find a quad with one.

Also note: the Devo 7 is NOT at all like the 7E. It's a full-size radio that the deviationTx software won't run on.
Jul 09, 2013, 07:01 PM
DeviationTx version after 3.0.0 should allow the up/down/left/right/enter/exit buttons to be used as controls, which will really help the 7e. That makes the other switch mod (a 3-way switch for FMODE) more attractive.

Do you know how legal the power mod is? The FCC tends to frown on modifying radio sources without a license.
Jul 09, 2013, 08:49 PM
I would imagine it can't be that big of a deal as its still a lot less in power to any higher end radio's. It might be different if you were starting with a higher powered radio and amplifying it.
Jul 13, 2013, 06:13 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Daryoon, you may do me a big favour!
As I installed the two additional switches on my 7e and wired all up there's a small problem - I'd need the changed Firmware with the added "switch code" for the most recent firmware build.

I'm a decent solderer, but a miserable noob concerning coding - can you help me out, please?

-mike-
Jul 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Let me look into it. Busy body over here.

I'll have to look up the post and then compile the firmware.
Jul 14, 2013, 06:26 AM
Have no idea about US, but inside the EU we have:

1. Non frequency hopping 10mW max radiated power recommended.
2. Frequency hopping 100mW max radiated power recommended.

Notice the recommended term, each country has jurisdiction over how it chooses to implement and respect those recommendations.

I know France for example is more draconic in this regard and will not allow powers over 10mW outdoors regardless if they are FH or non-FH.

Where I live I could probably go up to 5W and nobody would notice or care lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meyer
DeviationTx version after 3.0.0 should allow the up/down/left/right/enter/exit buttons to be used as controls, which will really help the 7e. That makes the other switch mod (a 3-way switch for FMODE) more attractive.

Do you know how legal the power mod is? The FCC tends to frown on modifying radio sources without a license.
Jul 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
@mikefromgermany
I pulled the latest nightly and added the extra switch patch.

Here's the zip containing the filesystem and dfu.

Simply use dfuse program to flash the new firmware. Afterwards, put the Devo7e into USB mode and copy over the protocol folder. Also, make sure to copy over the contents of the filesystem.zip to the appropriate location.

Just make sure to make a back up of your Devo7e files before the upgrade.

https://app.box.com/s/f6grtc9yzz1oltqd59r2
Jul 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Thanks a lot!
Pure genius!

(now if I find a solution for my SEVERE dropout problem with the 7e when using the amped 7105 )

-mike-
Jul 14, 2013, 03:10 PM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
Check antenna. But first, try lowering the power output. Start at 10mw and range test that.
Jul 18, 2013, 10:41 AM

v959

Can i control the v959 from WL Toys with the Devo 7e and the 3.0.0. software?

That is described at the release notes on the deviationtx homepage:

"Minor features:

Telemetry support for DSM2/DSMX
New protocols
DSMX
Skyartec (needs CC2500 module)
WLToys protocol extensions"

Do i need a module to solder it in the Devo 7e?
Or can i control the v959 without a extra module?
Do i need a module for controlling the v222?
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Jul 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Jul 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
Can i control the v959 from WL Toys with the Devo 7e and the 3.0.0. software?
Yes, if you install the 911 module.

Better yet, you can also control the camera and lights with it, though finding enough controls could be interesting. That will be solved in the next release, which will let you use some of the config buttons as controls. You can experiment with that with the nightly builds, or your own builds if you update to the latest source.
Jul 18, 2013, 11:03 AM
Team Drone Art
Thread OP
V959 and v222 uses different modules.

Therefore you need to Install a module for each.

The v959 needs a FlySky module: A7105

The v222 needs the nRF24L01 module.

You can take each from the radio that comes with the quad. Or simply purchase from eBay for about $13.

More info about the solder points can be found on my blog: hacksmods.com

I have both module in my Devo7e and can fly both quads.

The latest nightly will have the additional codes to control the extra accessories on the v222.
Jul 18, 2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon

You can take each from the radio that comes with the quad. Or simply purchase from eBay for about $13.

The latest nightly will have the additional codes to control the extra accessories on the v222.
What is about this one? 2.50USD
http://www.electrodragon.com/?produc...s-module-a7105

And this one? 2.30USD
http://www.electrodragon.com/?product=nrf24l01
Jul 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon

I found this ones:
AMIC A7105 Wireless RF 2.4GHz Transceiver Modules 2400-2483M 3.3V FSK GFSK

NRF24L01+ 2.4G RF Wireless Transceiver SPI Arduino 2.54mm pintch PCB Antenna

Are these the right ones? about 4$ each shipping free

Quick Reply