Just Highlander 54Ē - RC Groups
Jun 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
Letís eschew obfuscation.
Build Log

Just Highlander 54Ē

Here are plans and a construction article of a Just Aircraft Highlander I have been flying since 2011. The model flies great and is adept at short field takeoffs and landings and handles rough fields with ease.

The full scale Highlander is a modern light sport aircraft usually built as a homebuilt. The plans are for a 1/7 scale model of the Highlander. The model has folding wings, electric power, and balsa / carbon fiber / iron-on covering construction. Control is the basic 4 channels plus flaps.

Download the three files below to build the Highlander. Edit 1/19/14: The files now reside here at RCGroups.

The specs are:

Wing Span: 54 in.
Wing Area: 355 sq. in.
Flying Weight: 26 oz.
Motor: Himax HC2812-0850, 150W
Battery: Thunder Power 1350mA 3S LiPo
Prop: APC 10 x 4.7 SF
Servos: 6 Futaba S3114
Speed Control: Castle Thunderbird 18
Receiver: Orange RX 8 chan (Futaba FASST compatible)

Pat Tritle recently started a thread on a 60” Highlander at: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1914317

Scott
Last edited by scott swanson; Jan 19, 2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Files now reside here at RCGroups.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2013, 02:34 PM
A few things I have learned since building the original documentation:

Dave Brown Lite Flite 3-1/2Ē wheels are a good comprimise between really big and light weight.

The K & S Tube Assortment is the least expensive way to acquire many of the odd sizes of brass and aluminum tube I have specified.

I fly with either a 1350mA or a 2200mA 3S battery. The battery is close enough to the CG that it will balance with either.

When the wing folds back it is too low and hits the tail brace. Moving the strut hinge aft to line up with F3 would fix this but would require a bit of re-design of F3.

On the plans for the Bottom Doubler, there are four holes called out "#4 clearance holes". This means holes to clear a #4 screw, it does not mean drill with a #4 drill.

The covering initially adhered to the bottom of the undercambered wings OK, but after about a year it pulled loose. Doesn't seem to affect the flying, but in hindsight I would put some adhesive such as Balsarite on the bottoms of the ribs before covering.

I changed my tail landing gear from .047" music wire to .062" music wire with a spring loop.

While the overall outline and control surfaces are very close to scale, I tend to build a working model as opposed to a detailed model. Some details I chose to simplify:
The prototype Highlander has half-ribs between the ribs. These rarely show up in builder photos because they are fragile and builders don't add them 'till just before covering.
The Highlander has a second tail brace at the leading edge of the tail.
The Highlander struts are streamlined, not round.
The Highlander has jury struts (struts bracing the middle of the wing struts). I sort of hinted at these on the plans.
I didnít add covering between the fore and aft landing gear legs (some Highlander builders don't either).
My wing has a lump where the strut attachment wraps around the leading edge.

Here is a copy of the Just logo:
Last edited by scott swanson; Oct 20, 2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: update
Jun 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
Senile Member
Thank you Scott. That is just what was needed. I followed the link here from Tritle's thread.

Larry
Jun 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
Watts up ?
Thanks Scott - As I already have a highlander I would love to build an RC version. In the mean time I will print these off and put them in my Hangar above my 100% HL.
Oct 18, 2013, 09:05 AM
Scott, Thanks for posting the plans. Do you have any detailed pics of the cowling?
Oct 19, 2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks Scott, That helps a lot. I printed the plans and they look great! I'm seriously considering building one of these, looks like a quick build.
Oct 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
Here are some more detail photos of my Highlander.
Oct 23, 2013, 06:01 PM
Watts up ?
Looks cool ! I will put one together soon
Oct 23, 2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the pics.
Nov 06, 2013, 07:26 PM
I was looking at the Just web site, did you model it from their plans? I noticed the dihedral on the wings and the similarity in the construction, nice job. Ed
Nov 06, 2013, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by byeplane
I was looking at the Just web site, did you model it from their plans? I noticed the dihedral on the wings and the similarity in the construction, nice job. Ed
Yes, I told Just I was planning to model their plane and they gave me a tour of the factory and the plans that I posted in Post#8 above. I traced these in my CAD program with no mods, although I had to improvise some details because of the small scale of the plans.

Scott
Mar 23, 2014, 09:54 PM
Hi Scott,

Your Highlander looks amazing. Do you have any vidoes of it ? I would love to see it takeoff and land !
Mar 24, 2014, 08:39 AM
vinnieg,

I have no videos of the Highlander. Stay tuned, I'll try to get one at our next club gathering.

Scott
Mar 24, 2014, 05:55 PM
ski bum in training
Gorgeous!! I just might have to build one. I happen to have a Hacker A30-28LV2, with 375 watts. Maybe blowing it up to 60-65"?