Sep 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
Whilst searching on line for a suitable motor to install in the Panda I remembered I'd got a spare 2826 1900Kv outrunner. A quick check using the Panda's 7"x4" folding prop revealed that it was drawing a steady 17.4A using a freshly charged 1300mAh 25C 3s pack through a 25A ESC. This gave a reading of 189 Watts (in) and the motor only got mildly warm during my trials and with a PWR of about 180 W/Lb it ought to have sparkling performance.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
Having flown the Panda as a three channel plane it became very clear that Multiplex missed a trick in not including ailerons on their Panda Sport. I wonder why they included the name 'Sport' in the title as it's only got the ability to perform very basic manoeuvres like the ordinary Panda. That's not to say that the Panda isn't very good with just rudder/elevator, it is, but IMHO ailerons should have been included to exploit the full potential of this excellent airframe. I've therefore decided to modify my Panda to include ailerons and the photos show how it's done better than I could describe. The servos are 4.3g analogue and the servo connecting plug is simply cyanoed into the root of the wing for simplicities sake. The control horns and pushrods are spares from a different MPX kit and the ailerons are simply hinged with a very fine bead of UHU Por. The overall effect almost look factory finish to my mind and will hopefully prove to be a worthwhile modification. I'll post my control throws and flight capability in due course once I've had chance to carry out a test flight.
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Sep 27, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Sep 27, 2013, 07:28 AM
I've now test flown the modified Panda and the inclusion of ailerons has definitely been worthwhile. The glider is now much more aerobatic (an obvious result I suppose), with inverted flight, spins, snap rolls, slow rolls and flat thermal turns easily achieved. Landing approaches can be made much more accurately and the whole experience is more enjoyable. Today saw a thermal flight in the company of some Buzzards and this was followed by some gentle aerobatics to prove the integrity of the airframe. I've also swapped out the HK Rare Bear motor for an Airtek 2826/1350/11, which is a 51g 1350 Kv outrunner and this is turning a Graupner Cam Carbon 8" x 6" which gives a very good rate of climb. Using the same 1300mAh 3s and 25A ESC as before, the new motor draws 18.3A (static) and seems a very good match to the airframe with about 200W available. My next change will be to use a smaller 1000mAh 25C 3s battery which will save some weight, especially as some of the ballast in the fin will require removing to maintain the correct CG.

BTW, Is anyone else flying this glider? If so, it'd be interesting to hear your own views.
Sep 30, 2013, 02:02 PM

Panda Adventures

I have flown the Panda Sport for some hours now and i am still pleased with it.
In a earlier post i described the used setup.

Yesterday i made some mistakes which cumulated in a unwanted trunk landing.
My Position was in front of the car, not seeing whats going on the last meters.
( photos with absolutely no arranging )

No damages so far, except "spinner-punched" hole in Transport box.
Sep 30, 2013, 02:13 PM
It seems you've had a very lucky escape, and It's a good job that you had the kit box in the car otherwise the Panda could have been badly damaged! The box is easy to repair.

It's quite a funny incident though!
Oct 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing
Having flown the Panda as a three channel plane it became very clear that Multiplex missed a trick in not including ailerons on their Panda Sport. I wonder why they included the name 'Sport' in the title as it's only got the ability to perform very basic manoeuvres like the ordinary Panda. That's not to say that the Panda isn't very good with just rudder/elevator, it is, but IMHO ailerons should have been included to exploit the full potential of this excellent airframe. I've therefore decided to modify my Panda to include ailerons and the photos show how it's done better than I could describe. The servos are 4.3g analogue and the servo connecting plug is simply cyanoed into the root of the wing for simplicities sake. The control horns and pushrods are spares from a different MPX kit and the ailerons are simply hinged with a very fine bead of UHU Por. The overall effect almost look factory finish to my mind and will hopefully prove to be a worthwhile modification. I'll post my control throws and flight capability in due course once I've had chance to carry out a test flight.
Hi,
How long and wide did you make the ailerons? Starting where measured from the rot?
Oct 30, 2013, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrik59
Hi,
How long and wide did you make the ailerons? Starting where measured from the rot?
The following picture gives you the dimensions I used. Note that the aileron is cut parallel to the root trailing edge and will therefore naturally taper towards the tip.
Nov 01, 2013, 02:19 PM
I stated in an earlier post that I'd advise what control throws I was using, but it completely slipped my mind, so here's what I'm using:

Rudder; +/- 15mm
Elevator; +/- 10mm
Ailerons; +12mm (up)
-6mm (down)

I'm not using any expo or dual rates as the plane isn't over sensitive whilst on the glide, but it does aerobat pretty well using power. The aileron differential I'm using might seem a lot, but it works very well and doesn't really need any rudder input as there is negligible adverse yaw.
Nov 23, 2013, 08:57 PM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Just ordered one

Think im going to do something similar to what youve done Ben D Wing, but with longer ailerons to see how it responds to camber/reflex.

Ordered a lil waypoint outrunner from Aircraft world on sale, size and kv ranges look good (and with a 3,2mm shaft) but they use a triangular mounting bolt pattern so im going to have to play with the stock motor mount http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...s+OTHER+BRANDS

Im hoping it'll fly something similar to a Graupner Terry, the aim being that I can sit on the deck at my house in summer, and fly with a beer in hand
Nov 24, 2013, 12:34 AM
Hi Jacko, great choice with your purchase and it'll be interesting to hear about your experiences with this glider.
With regard to the Terry, the Panda flys a lot nicer IMO, but then I never fitted ailerons to my Terry, oh, and it was a real pain in the a$$ to hollow out the nose to fit a small outrunner. You'll find Panda is far easier to work with.
Nov 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Just ordered a Panda Sport from Hoellein. Not sure I will do the ail mod just yet; think I will fly it first and see what I think. Now I must wait for DHL to work their magic and bring me my new toy.
Nov 25, 2013, 03:38 AM
I had the same initial thoughts as you have Obake, but once I'd done the aileron mod I had no regrets because it really did allow the full potential of the Panda to shine through.
I'm not saying you should do the mod, but you might find curiosity getting the better of you.
Nov 25, 2013, 09:41 AM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
I am leaning to doing the mod; I think I would like for the plane to be a bit more responsive for my taste. I will use the same dimensions as you did. I think that is a better dimension for this plane than the shorter version I saw on the .de site.

I received two emails from Hoellein this morning; they already have the box packed up and DHL is gleefully carrying it to me. I expect the plane will arrive on black Friday. That will keep me from having to go shopping in the crowds.
Nov 26, 2013, 01:37 PM
Hey Obake
How much was shipping?
Nov 26, 2013, 05:33 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottertail7
Hey Obake
How much was shipping?
Shipping is by DHL and the cost was 24,25 euros which is US$ 32,91. Very reasonable shipping cost, especially as I have sent same size packages from the east coast to mid west for about the same cost. When looking at the listed price for the products remember the price includeds VAT. Orders to U.S. have no VAT so the price will be somewhat less.

DHL has been very good about getting stuff to me in one piece and undamaged so I am sure they will do so again. The package is already on the big bird and crossing the Atlantic.

There are no needs to worry about using Hoellein ( http://www.hoelleinshop.com/ ) as they are very reputable and very goood to deal with. I ordered Sunday night, in their after hours and they packed and shipped the next day. Unless there are weather issues at the port of entry I suspect I will have the package this Friday.

Quick Reply