This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 20, 2013, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

my experience with frsky telemetry

i was introduced to telemetry with the quanum from hobby king. as basically i need to know the voltage of the battery in the airplane, it fulfills my requirements.
then i became curious about getting altitude changes to detect thermals, and learned that frsky has some products (variometers) that could get me this, so i ordered some components.
so far, i have been getting great advice from some experts, but am terribly disappointed, as it has been a painful experience, as the data available from the manufacturer lacks many vital information and details to get the results i need. i was not prepared to face the fact that the user has to be an expert in computers and specifically the products of frsky. i think that at the beginning of the thread (and in the manuals of the products) should be mentioned that you have to have something like a masters degree in comps and frsky telemetry to get into this.
i was used to get manuals that, even if not complete in all details, the user can get the plane to the air.
perhaps as i grew up in the environment of full size aviation, and learned to fly an airplane before driving a car, i got used to follow exactly the log in all details, and understand everything in it and check twice all, and later worked at the engineering department of a major airline where i had, among other duties, the responsibility of the service manuals, where everything has to be written precisely and exactly, that i got used to exact instructions.
i am not giving up, but i regret asking these experts to spend their valuable time helping me with so many details.
if only i knew how scarce the essential data is, i would never get into it. the products seem to be well designed, but so far, can be only used by a small group that has the great experience needed to make them do the job.
and i wonder how many guys that know what it takes to make these products do their job, are actually using them in airplanes. what their experience at the field has been.
it could be enlightening to hear from them.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 22, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2013, 07:26 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Check this out:

http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...rSky_Telemetry

I hope this helps!
Jun 21, 2013, 03:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation
thanks.
i have been reading it, and sure it helps, but it clearly tells you that there are issues and still many questions remain unanswered.
see what it says: 'FrSky is notable for two things:
Low-cost yet high-performance equipment including telemetry functionality
Woefully inadequate documentation often consisting of little more than poorly translated leaflets
The former and latter combined make the system hard to understand and to utilize to its full potential, especially by newcomers to the field.'
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 21, 2013 at 04:51 AM.

Quick Reply