This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 20, 2013, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

conclusions on using the quanum telemetry by hobby king

i have been using the quanum systematically (2 sets) to keep track of the charge available in the airplane in several of my sailplanes, and these are the conclusions i have reached:
1 of them ran uneventfully for some time. no problems. after initial binding, every time just plugged the tx in the plane's charging plug of the pack (no pushing the bind button), then turned the screen on and away she went. i got readings of all the cells, and the alarms went off as scheduled.
but lately i need to press and hold the bind button on the rx before i plug it to the pack, and also to press both buttons of the screen at start, otherwise does not connect to the tx. otherwise all is ok.
with the 2nd 1 i began to get warnings of 'no signal' and the screen went blank for several seconds, then the figures reappeared. i was using the small antenna, and replaced it with the stock, keep the cell fully charged, and this has not happened so far. with this set i have to bind it every time i use it, just as i detailed in the previous paragraph. i don't know if this is happening only to my 2 sets, or also to some other modelers. i would like to hear from any1 who purchased 1 and is using it how is he doing.
in my opinion, it is a remarkable system, that provides a safeguard against packs going too low and then crashing or loosing the model, for a reasonable price and ease of operation-even with the drawbacks mentioned before. installing and using it requires no previous knowledge and the instructions are clear, so you don't need special knowledge of electronics, as it happens with the frsky, that has little (if any) information and can only be used by experts in electronics with deep knowledge of this specialized subject. don't ask me how i know...
this is the product: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._mAh_V3_0.html
another thing that i have learned, that is not explained in the instructions, is this:
figures flashing
recently after several flights, when climbing, i began to hear the alarm-4 beeps and again, and when looking at the screen, it went blank for a few seconds, then reappeared, and did this several times, so i decided to bring the plane down fast. but then the screen came back and didn't fade away as before.
i guess that after a few seconds the battery recovered from the quick surge of power and the figures were above the programmed alarm.
but this happened another time, now when the plane was just gliding, and i brought it down fast, and that was good, because the figures didn't get up again. i think this time it was approaching the safe current to keep feeding the radio.
>>>i believe that this happens when it reaches the lowest programmed figure, as a safety warning. very useful, i think.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 27, 2013 at 05:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply