Jan 13, 2014, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Frank asked me to try and do a top-drive install in the wing instead of the RDS. The wing is also very tight for servos space since it is a hollow molded wing and skins have significant thickness to them (foam is not relieved around the servo location). The servo arm will have to stick out a little.
Is there something wrong with the RDS supplied with the kit????

On the F3B side of things, Baudis models have some of the best/tightest RDS setups available. If the RDS setup is anything like in his bigger airplanes, I can't imagine it not being superior to a top drive system.

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2014, 05:09 PM
null
Last edited by Zedtwitz; Mar 12, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Jan 13, 2014, 05:59 PM
I have yet to see a properly made RDS system fail in normal use. In my experience it is more reliable than the more conventional methods. The loads on the servos are lower, geometry gives a nice linear response to stick input, nothing sticking out etc. RDS even holds up to crashes better in my experience.

The only advantage I see to a top drive set up is that they are easier to make and install. However, in this case, the RDS pockets are already installed and the servo cutouts are already oriented for the RDS configuration. From what I can see, for this install, top drive would be more work.

Tom
Jan 13, 2014, 06:07 PM
Just fly...
My thoughts exactly for this plane. From what I saw, everything was set up nicely and ready for RDS... angles, pockets, rods, etc. The pieces looked like they were CNC'd. They didn't look like carbon just slapped together.
RDS with servo bays!!! Nothing to cut. Just open up the hatch, slide the servo and rods in, glue and program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
I have yet to see a properly made RDS system fail in normal use. In my experience it is more reliable than the more conventional methods. The loads on the servos are lower, geometry gives a nice linear response to stick input, nothing sticking out etc. RDS even holds up to crashes better in my experience.

The only advantage I see to a top drive set up is that they are easier to make and install. However, in this case, the RDS pockets are already installed and the servo cutouts are already oriented for the RDS configuration. From what I can see, for this install, top drive would be more work.

Tom
Jan 13, 2014, 07:10 PM
null
Last edited by Zedtwitz; Mar 12, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Jan 13, 2014, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz
I've seen one on an Aurora fail.
Was it properly made?

All I'm trying to point out is that it would be a shame not to even try the supplied RDS setup. The guys at Baudis models have a lot of experience with RDS systems that work very well. Since all the stuff is already there, it wouldn't hurt to try it before cutting up such a pretty wing for top drive. If Frank doesn't like it, it can always be changed later.

Tom
Last edited by Kiesling; Jan 13, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Jan 22, 2014, 11:56 AM
Oleg Golovidov

top-drive install in Chicco wing

finished installing the top-drive wing servos for Frank.
I made custom servo covers from clear plastic, with small blisters, to get enough space for the servo arms that are sticking out a little.
came out nice and clean.

--
Jan 22, 2014, 12:04 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Damnest thing is done to the plane with RDS ready to install.
But done nicely.
Oleg is a King of top drive installation.
Yuri
Jan 22, 2014, 12:07 PM
My Quads Better Than Your Quad
Hello Oleg...Was there a reason you didn't install the factory made RDS servo linkages.
Just curious cause my wing servos are next.

Doug
Jan 22, 2014, 12:12 PM
Aurora Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedtwitz
I've seen one on an Aurora fail.
Link to model please? Aurora F3K is designed for top drive servo installs.

Nice job Oleg! Even if the supplied RDS setup is reliable, top drive has less parts to fail.
Jan 22, 2014, 12:46 PM
Awesome job Oleg.Did you just glued the servo to the skin or were u able to tie it to the spar?
Jan 22, 2014, 01:08 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
Link to model please? Aurora F3K is designed for top drive servo installs.

Nice job Oleg! Even if the supplied RDS setup is reliable, top drive has less parts to fail.
How do you figure that top drive has less parts to fail? A properly done RDS system is just as simple if not more so. And there would be no need for a bubble to stick out to get the throws...

I think people are just afraid of it for some reason...

Parts in a top drive :
  1. Servo
  2. Horn glued in to flap
  3. Plastic servo arm
  4. Push rod
Parts in RDS System :
  1. Servo
  2. Pocket glued in flap
  3. RDS rod that connects directly to the servo

Last I remember 3 is less than 4...

Jan 22, 2014, 01:10 PM
Team Falcon
Nice work Oleg, you can be my wingman anytime.

Top Gun: You can be my wingman anytime (0 min 26 sec)
Jan 22, 2014, 01:40 PM
Just fly...
Nice, Oleg.

Been thinking about doing clear servo covers... I tried using the d65k packaging but didn't come out as clean.

How did you get those blisters formed nicely and cleanly?

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
finished installing the top-drive wing servos for Frank.
I made custom servo covers from clear plastic, with small blisters, to get enough space for the servo arms that are sticking out a little.
came out nice and clean.

--
Jan 22, 2014, 02:42 PM
Aurora Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver
How do you figure that top drive has less parts to fail? A properly done RDS system is just as simple if not more so. And there would be no need for a bubble to stick out to get the throws...

I think people are just afraid of it for some reason...

Parts in a top drive :
  1. Servo
  2. Horn glued in to flap
  3. Plastic servo arm
  4. Push rod
Parts in RDS System :
  1. Servo
  2. Pocket glued in flap
  3. RDS rod that connects directly to the servo

Last I remember 3 is less than 4...

ttraver,

I beg to disagree. Taking a look at this RDS system: http://www.irfmachineworks.com/g2rds/

which is well regarded, you have the aluminum coupler, stainless shaft, silver soldered hex to register the shaft to the aluminum coupler, wiper, and finally the pocket. The latter is often a 3 piece assembly (upper and lower carbon, and something to separate the two). That is a total of 5 parts, 8 if you count the building of the pocket. I implore you to direct me to a simpler system. Anything that doesn't involve 2+ solder joints. If it exists, I will put $100 down that it is the most expensive aileron linkage assembly available (even in Eastern Europe, CNC time is not free!!!).

That is not to say RDS is an inferior solution; I am a tiny bit surprised Frank went top drive when all the RDS bits were included and you can get at the servo (only a tiny bit, recall Frank owns a Stobel v3 with RDS), but I have seen more RDS installations fail than top drive. Remember, top drive is pretty much the same as the push-pull systems we have been using on DLG's and HLG's since their creation, just arranged in a lower drag solution. For the average modeler, this is IMO easier to install and maintain than RDS.

Quick Reply