This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 19, 2013, 04:03 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

E-Flite Retracts & Amplified Y-Connector (Spektrum RX)?

I have posted in the RADIO Section and have not received any replies so,......

Background History on this issue can be seen at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1909383

Original Posting of my installation of these E-Flite Retracts (Almost 2 years ago!!):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2046

My issue has been using an Spektrum AR600 Receiver with the Stock power system in a certain Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX.

The only thing I did was to install a pair of Brand NEW E-Flite Retracts (EFLG100) and as some of you here may know that it comes with an Amplified Y-Connector Harness to connect both Retracts together.

I had no issues with the first 20 flights (Estimated) and then, all of a sudden one side started to Cycle all by itself. I have learned to land the Spitfire with just one Main Gear as this happened to me on several occasions.

During one visit at another thread discussing the larger E-Flite Hawker Hurricane, someone had the same issue as I was experiencing and they posted saying that he removed the STOCK Y-Connector Harness that came with the E-Flite Retracts for that model. I was sort of doubtful since the retracts are larger on the Hawker Hurricane 25e but, nevertheless, I tried it and to my shock and surprise it cured the UNSOLICITED Cycling of my retracts while in flight.

I have had perhaps over 25 "CAREFREE" Flights on my Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX without using any Amplified STOCK Y-Connector harness that comes with the E-Flite (EFLG100) Retracts for the Spit.

What confuses me to NO END is that Spektrum makes a product (Y-Connector) amplification harness of the signal line "Voltage", even though you are supplying a Standard Spektrum RX with a 5-Cell Ni-MH (6 Volts nominal) you still need in some cases to amplified the signal line to make certain devices to work properly.

Spektrum makes this device for those that have that certain case:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...x?ProdID=SPMCP

================================================== ===============================================
However, I am using an "AIR" Spektrum AR600 and within the Manual it states clearly that you can not use any Amplified Y-Connector with the AR600?

So, depending on what exactly the STOCK Y-Connector Harness that comes with the E-Flite Retracts is doing, the AR600 manual says NO AMPLIFIED Y-Connector Harness is allowed???

Totally confused. All I know is that you really DO NOT need the STOCK provided Y-Connector to activate the E-Flite Retracts that go in this Spitfire Mk XI RC model as proven by my efforts!

Here is the AR600 Manual:

THEREFORE, this Configuration is a NO NO!!!

Can anyone explain my Confusion????????
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jun 22, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2013, 02:25 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
It sounds like a bad plug on the y harness. I have had that before with retracts. They seem more picky than a servo.
Latest blog entry: Miss Foxy Lady eBuild
Jun 20, 2013, 03:01 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
SmokeDogg,

Thank you for your reply!

Just to make it clear to all, at the over at the RADIO thread, I read a post from an HH representative that verified it "is" in fact Amplified Y-Harness. It does have a Circuit Board.

For those curious, here is a picture without the heat shrink....

Jun 21, 2013, 07:01 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Hello guys!

Just providing additional flight summaries and Thursday and Friday, I went to the RC Club on my way to work and flew my Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX for yet another 8 flights total in two days so, it has logged up to 35 flights total since I have replaced the STOCK E-Flite Retract "Amplified" Y-Connector with the NON-Amplified regular Y-Connector that connects both Servoless Retracts.

The model is PERFECT!!!

Oh, that Spitfire in the background is the Dynam and its a little larger than the Park Zone and the gentleman flew it for the first time at the RC Club and it was all over the place as it was just too sensitive with UP Elevator (Too much travel) and being an experienced RC flyer he was able to land it perfectly considering the UP and DOWN manners.

Well, as you all know, the PARK ZONE Spitfire Mk IX has flown PERFECT from day ONE and right out of the BOX!!!

Jul 03, 2015, 07:25 AM
Yes topic is old but I had same issues and was able to resolve it and I thought I would pass a solution I had read before. I had a pair of Eflites 46 size electric retracts for my H9 Corsair and was using a Spektrum receiver.

The Eflite Y connecter has an amplifier (most of us know that by now)

This Eflite amplified Y connector has to be plugged in DIRECTLY into the Spektrum receiver. Some of us sometime add short leads into the receiver for ailerons and retracts to save wear and tear on receiver when plugging the wing in

Once I removed the short lead I had in the receiver, and plugged the Spectrum Y amplified connector directly into the receiver - retracts worked perfectly

Hopefully, this helps others who may have same issues
Jul 03, 2015, 07:39 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Short lead? My model doesn't have a short lead and it still acted up with the Amplified Y.
Jul 03, 2015, 08:22 AM
I added the short leads in the receiver in Retracts and ailerons slots to save wear and tear on receiver connections.

Retracts work fine now that I plugged amplified Y directly into the receiver.

What can I say, worked for me ;-)

Quick Reply